How can i go back to the good old yz250 smoker without having regrets?

Hey guys!

Apparently i sold my 07 yz250(which was raced and beat) but i took a loss on it. Now im on a 09 yz450f that i picked up but heres the thing, i rode my buddies 02 yz250 and i loved it so much and i miss the snap.

Just some info like i said i got a 09 yz450f and i ride woods. At best as of right now im about a B rider and try to convice me to make the switch.

But here are my concerns:

1) the throttle response on my 07 was terrible, Like right off the idle it bogged then hit the powerband.(cleaned PV and everything....jetting? Im not sure)

2) I ride woods and im going to start racing in the spring and i like the torque my 450 has but will the yz250 compare to it? I just like the torque the 450 has in the bottom and to be able to lug it in the corners.

3) I bought my 450 as a leftover at my dealer i work at and i have a three year warranty on it. Like it covers suspension, motor failures, seals, :busted:

So im pretty safe if it blows up.

Just please convice me but i want a smoker but im so worried about i will regret it. Just wfrom what i experienced in the past im very like nervous to get another smoker.

And thanks for all of you help!!! Every signel one of you thumpertalk members are aweome!!!!

God bless each and everyone of you!!!

Alex

I absolutely love my yz and the throttle response is insanely good.....not sure what was wrong with yours but thats not normal. and as far as low end torque I've actually found that the low.end is actually powerful enough to chug through most obstacles. Actually i took it to some mountains in southern indiana and i was really impressed with its ridability through creeks and roots and rocks when i thought it wouldn't hook up. you just have to know how to work the clutch:thumbsup:

I did the switch earlier this year, 06 YZ450 to 06 YZ250, best thing I ever did. Love the light weight, no worries about stalling, easier starting, way more fun to ride in tighter areas. Not quite the grunt of the 450, but not bad either, your 07 must have had some jetting issues. Sounds like a #8 slide may have helped it. Good luck with your decision.

IMO,the 250 lugs better than the 450's and is just a better choice for woods riding.

I feel your pain - I sold my '05 YZ285-WR last year after riding it 3.5 years in TIGHT woods and it was wonderful but would really wear you out (did I say TIGHT, ROCKY woods!). I built up a '08 YZ290F-WR that is really good but I really miss the extra HP. My solution -I'm building an '03 YZ265 with wide ratio trans, Eric Gorr low-to-mid porting and '08 KYB SSS suspension (custom valved) and I'm keeping the 290F. I should be able to get the new bike together this weekend unless 'work' keeps interferring with the important things in life. Maybe you should do what I did: find a good inexpensive '01' or later used bike and build it like you want. I like the steel frame bikes at least as well as the aluminum frame bikes.

I absolutely love my yz and the throttle response is insanely good.....not sure what was wrong with yours but thats not normal. and as far as low end torque I've actually found that the low.end is actually powerful enough to chug through most obstacles. Actually i took it to some mountains in southern indiana and i was really impressed with its ridability through creeks and roots and rocks when i thought it wouldn't hook up. you just have to know how to work the clutch:thumbsup:

Sweet man!!! But actually i can work the clutch better now since i got that 450 but an i miss the snappy power. But i weigh about 215 lbs. Do you think my weight has an affect on it bogging like that. i hate to say it but am i too "fat" for that bike?

I did the switch earlier this year, 06 YZ450 to 06 YZ250, best thing I ever did. Love the light weight, no worries about stalling, easier starting, way more fun to ride in tighter areas. Not quite the grunt of the 450, but not bad either, your 07 must have had some jetting issues. Sounds like a #8 slide may have helped it. Good luck with your decision.

Hey jeff how does your throttle response compare with your 06? Like i got an 09 and from what i know the 06 was way snappier than my 09. How is the response in the low rpms?

I feel your pain - I sold my '05 YZ285-WR last year after riding it 3.5 years in TIGHT woods and it was wonderful but would really wear you out (did I say TIGHT, ROCKY woods!). I built up a '08 YZ290F-WR that is really good but I really miss the extra HP. My solution -I'm building an '03 YZ265 with wide ratio trans, Eric Gorr low-to-mid porting and '08 KYB SSS suspension (custom valved) and I'm keeping the 290F. I should be able to get the new bike together this weekend unless 'work' keeps interferring with the important things in life. Maybe you should do what I did: find a good inexpensive '01' or later used bike and build it like you want. I like the steel frame bikes at least as well as the aluminum frame bikes.

Thats sounds awesome man!!!! PM me the pics of it when your done!!! But heres the thing man, i'm allowed to get another bike but the thing is like what if both bikes break down then thats double the cash i need to spend. I work at my dealer so parts arent that expensive but im just trying to be smart and not get myself in to a jam.

Now i should mention that my bike had a pro circuit platinum 2 on it with the pro circuit shorty(thanks captndan!!):busted:

but the bog was still there when i bought the bike, the bike has a sst expansion chamber with the stock silencer.

I just want the bike to respond really fast off the bottom. Like my buddys ktm, he hits the throttle and that bike is gone. 2 different bikes i know but for a fact i know that the yamaha is better IMO.:busted:

Any suggestions guys and gals? Anybody make the switch from 450 to 250 smoker? and is there anything you can tell me about it. Also what about pipes, etc, etc.

Now i should mention that my bike had a pro circuit platinum 2 on it with the pro circuit shorty(thanks captndan!!):busted:

but the bog was still there when i bought the bike, the bike has a sst expansion chamber with the stock silencer.

I just want the bike to respond really fast off the bottom. Like my buddys ktm, he hits the throttle and that bike is gone. 2 different bikes i know but for a fact i know that the yamaha is better IMO.:bonk:

Any suggestions guys and gals? Anybody make the switch from 450 to 250 smoker? and is there anything you can tell me about it. Also what about pipes, etc, etc.

I made the switch several years ago. A 450 stalls easier and lacks the responsive power of a 2 stroke. The weight and handling is also an advantage in the woods. Some people like the engine braking on a 450 while others don't. When I made the switch back to 2 strokes, the freewheeling took a few rides to get used to before I finally remembered what the brake lever was for.:busted: Nowadays I like the freewheeling, but the engine braking of a 450 isn't a big deal either. The stock pipe is good on the yz's, but I put on a gnarly, as low-end power is everything in the area I ride in. My bike with the 295 kit is an absolute tractor on hillclimbs and tight trails. IMO, the tighter and nastier the trails, the more it suits a 2t.

I made the switch several years ago. A 450 stalls easier and lacks the responsive power of a 2 stroke. The weight and handling is also an advantage in the woods. Some people like the engine braking on a 450 while others don't. When I made the switch back to 2 strokes, the freewheeling took a few rides to get used to before I finally remembered what the brake lever was for.:busted: Nowadays I like the freewheeling, but the engine braking of a 450 isn't a big deal either. The stock pipe is good on the yz's, but I put on a gnarly, as low-end power is everything in the area I ride in. My bike with the 295 kit is an absolute tractor on hillclimbs and tight trails. IMO, the tighter and nastier the trails, the more it suits a 2t.

Yeah thats what i had to get used to, like when i come in to a corner i usually keep on the gas a tad so i dont slow down and loose my momentum. But How do you like the gnarly? Do you really notice big gains in the low to mid range power? But i definately know you will loose top. Anything good/bad about it?

But How do you like the gnarly? Do you really notice big gains in the low to mid range power? But i definately know you will loose top. Anything good/bad about it?

Low and mid power is awesome, top end...not so much.:busted: If you want all around good power, the stocker is good as well as cheap. I really don't care about the topend power so it's not a bad deal for me. If I road faster, more flowing trails or desert, I probably wouldn't run the gnarly. In my regular riding spot, it's rare to get out of 2nd gear, the gnarly works awesome there.

Low and mid power is awesome, top end...not so much.:busted: If you want all around good power, the stocker is good as well as cheap. I really don't care about the topend power so it's not a bad deal for me. If I road faster, more flowing trails or desert, I probably wouldn't run the gnarly. In my regular riding spot, it's rare to get out of 2nd gear, the gnarly works awesome there.

Oh wow man you must have some really tight trails. But hows the throttle response? Like does it pull hard from right off the idle? Also can you lug the bike better?

I had the same problem. I was looking at getting a two stroker for fun. I race woods also. I trophy in the c class and by time i place at the end of the pack In b. I raced my 05 450 for last year and thought it was the best. I accidently won a 2001 yz250 on ebay just bidding low to see what would happen. I raced the 250 for the first 4 races of the season so far and wont be pulling the 450 out again. Now im going to have to sell the 450 in the spring and probably get a newer 250. I will have to add that i also am hooked on the rekluse. The 250 does everything the 450 did and is like comparing a truck to a buggy in the woods.

I had the same problem. I was looking at getting a two stroker for fun. I race woods also. I trophy in the c class and by time i place at the end of the pack In b. I raced my 05 450 for last year and thought it was the best. I accidently won a 2001 yz250 on ebay just bidding low to see what would happen. I raced the 250 for the first 4 races of the season so far and wont be pulling the 450 out again. Now im going to have to sell the 450 in the spring and probably get a newer 250. I will have to add that i also am hooked on the rekluse. The 250 does everything the 450 did and is like comparing a truck to a buggy in the woods.

Really man? Hahaha but was there anything you didn't like about making the switch?

Hey guys!

Apparently i sold my 07 yz250(which was raced and beat) but i took a loss on it. Now im on a 09 yz450f that i picked up but heres the thing, i rode my buddies 02 yz250 and i loved it so much and i miss the snap.

Just some info like i said i got a 09 yz450f and i ride woods. At best as of right now im about a B rider and try to convice me to make the switch.

But here are my concerns:

1) the throttle response on my 07 was terrible, Like right off the idle it bogged then hit the powerband.(cleaned PV and everything....jetting? Im not sure)

That little stumble that never seems to go away is caused by the throttle slide, which is a 7. You can have it modded to an 8 or more for $15+ shipping or buy a new one for about $70, you generally have to buy a Honda or Kawi cable holder with a new slide.

2) I ride woods and im going to start racing in the spring and i like the torque my 450 has but will the yz250 compare to it? I just like the torque the 450 has in the bottom and to be able to lug it in the corners.

A properly tuned YZ will launch out of a very tight corner in third with a light slip it the clutch. Try that with a 450 and you'll be likely to kill on the way in. You know what it's like to try to light that thing once it flames out right?

3) I bought my 450 as a leftover at my dealer i work at and i have a three year warranty on it. Like it covers suspension, motor failures, seals, :busted:

So im pretty safe if it blows up.

Just please convice me but i want a smoker but im so worried about i will regret it. Just wfrom what i experienced in the past im very like nervous to get another smoker.

And thanks for all of you help!!! Every signel one of you thumpertalk members are aweome!!!!

God bless each and everyone of you!!!

Alex

You're going to take a hit on the 450 if you sell it. But you might find a heck of a deal on a two stroke. A good idea is to do a RB head mod so it will run sweet on pump gas, send him you slide while you're at it, slightly retard the timing (better low end, smoother transition onto the powervalve and more over-rev) and EITHER a flywheel weight OR a Rekluse Core EXP. All up you are looking at a little over $200 for a FWW bike, or about $1000 for a Reklusinator.

But it's not too hard to get a pretty good deal on a YZ. So even adding $1000 to it isn't all that bad.

You'll note that I didn't say anything about a pipe. If I did I would say DEP. But I didn't.

You're going to take a hit on the 450 if you sell it. But you might find a heck of a deal on a two stroke. A good idea is to do a RB head mod so it will run sweet on pump gas, send him you slide while you're at it, slightly retard the timing (better low end, smoother transition onto the powervalve and more over-rev) and EITHER a flywheel weight OR a Rekluse Core EXP. All up you are looking at a little over $200 for a FWW bike, or about $1000 for a Reklusinator.

But it's not too hard to get a pretty good deal on a YZ. So even adding $1000 to it isn't all that bad.

You'll note that I didn't say anything about a pipe. If I did I would say DEP. But I didn't.

Now what is the RB head mod? Iheard of it but I never really knew what it was. I usually run 93 pump gas. Can I still run that? Dep I heard those pipes are excellent. Do u get a lot of more power from them compared to the stocker? How do you like the rekluse on your yz250?

Now does porting and polishing make a difference in like bottem end and power overall? But if i get a smoker i definately am getting the Rb head mod

Hey RCdude, when I got the bike, it had a pc pipe and shorty silencer, jetting was very fat on the bottom with that set up, I tweaked the jetting, but still didn't like that combo. Switched to an FMF fatty, was some better, but still not what I wanted. Borrowed a buddy's stock pipe and silencer, far and away the best combo of the 3 I've tried so far. Hope to get a DEP combo this winter, or possibly a DrD if they ever come out. As for your throttle response question, with the stock setup on the 250, it is actually pretty close between it and the 450. The 450 just has that extra bit of grunt for clearing out of corner jumps and such, but I rarely ride that kind of stuff anymore, and for everything that I do, I very much prefer the 250.

Dont make the switch, make an addition. Theres never a reason to live with one motorcycle, one car, one wife.....ok well...you get the idea. Once its purchased you've already lost money. Its never going to be an investment unless its a collectable bike.

If the warranty on your 450 is for three years, keep the bike for two more, then dump it.

I hate losing money or time. So, if its going to happen, give up money and time ONLY if its fun doign so.