2011 Baja 1000 Pre-ride Updates

So I personally am down in Ensenada right now, and here is what I've heard and seen so far.

Most of the Teams are ariving now, and all the Motels are buzzing with activity. Here are some of the rumors so far.

1) 102x rider broke leg near Summit - many helped, back in states now

2) 402x rider hurt near Summit - minor, still in Mex and might still ride

3) Unnamed Honda rider hurt - minor, still in Mex might still ride

4) Kawi THR team rider blew engine - 1-hr engine swap, continue pre-ride

Although I personally call Class 21 the Minor League teams, perhaps that's exactly what the sport should have and we should embrace it - even if they are riding the same bikes as the big boys in Class 22?! Either way, the names that a filling up in this Class 21 are growing by the day. I've personally heard and talked to a few of them and quite honestly they could easily ride on any Pro Team! This might end up being the "Lites" class of Baja, although 250f's really aren't practical for this style of racing with these elite and sometimes quite Heavy rider! Anyhow I see all the real action being in Class 21 this race with the exception of the THR vs JCR showdown in Class 22 and the longshot AJ Stewart team.

That's it for now, the start opens tomorrow for pre-running and I expect a lot of dust out there. Wait correction: It's been raining all week and believe it or not it's still muddy down here! Yeah, really! First time I've ridden in mud up and down the Summit! It's gonna be amazing conditions and no silt this year is quite possible!!!

When was the last time it rained for a baja race? This should be epic.......

Would this create new passing strategy for the (gulp) T.T. vs bikes since there would be less/no dust? Would it be safer in this situation? I could see it going either way..............Do I need to be Bitch-slapped for even thinking about this?:busted:

Wish the hell I was there right now...............:busted:

When was the last time it rained for a baja race?.............

2007 Baja 1000. Rained A LOT the night/day prior to the race. The day of the race, sunny... and perfect conditions. No Silt. Yet, caused a new problem.... MUD HOLES, and large standing WATER sections.

Rocks stacked UNDER water, was a new booby trap scenario for me. Scary!

2007 Baja 1000. Rained A LOT the night/day prior to the race. The day of the race, sunny... and perfect conditions. No Silt. Yet, caused a new problem.... MUD HOLES, and large standing WATER sections.

I have some pics of myself coming into Santo Domingo absolutely covered in mud. That entire section behind Mike's and into Santo Domingo was a mess... but the traction was awesome on those windy dual-track roads. The mud holes definitely weren't there during pre-running. It certainly made things interesting on race day.

PERFECT CONDITIONS for the Pro Caliber Teams!!!! Welcome to the Pacific Northwest!!! :busted:

I followed Max Eddy Jr (104x) around the west coast a few times this week and all I can say is that this race brings out all of the Baja dummies.

Had a negative experience with a moto-prerunner roosting on Max when he was being courteous and helpful holding a gate open.

When we politely tried to discuss with this "deutsche bank", he lost it and started asking questions about who we were with and boasting it was his 50th Baja, etc...

We were super cordial and not being a total dick at first...the SOB simply could not be faulted (leaving gates down, roosting and floundering)...the MF'er is a perfect example of why some people should not ever ride here. He scolded us and sped off like Rudy Iribe near chase trucks...the guy could not ride his F ing bike for shilt either.

On the other hand, everyone else we encountered Sat-Wed was really sensible and respectable...

I followed Max Eddy Jr (104x) around the west coast a few times this week and all I can say is that this race brings out all of the Baja dummies.

Had a negative experience with a moto-prerunner roosting on Max when he was being courteous and helpful holding a gate open.

When we politely tried to discuss with this "deutsche bank", he lost it and started asking questions about who we were with and boasting it was his 50th Baja, etc...

We were super cordial and not being a total dick at first...the SOB simply could not be faulted (leaving gates down, roosting and floundering)...the MF'er is a perfect example of why some people should not ever ride here. He scolded us and sped off like Rudy Iribe near chase trucks...the guy could not ride his F ing bike for shilt either.

Was this Jack A$$ on an XR 650 by chance. If so one of our guys had a run in with him also.

On the other hand, everyone else we encountered Sat-Wed was really sensible and respectable...

Was the guy by chance on a 650? If so more than likely it was the same Jag Off that one of our guys had a run in with the other day down here.

Yup...Older guy...has about 50 "Bajas" under his belt

The funny thing is our guy was opening a fence for the guy when our exchange went down. I will fill you in on the details later. But for now I need to get some sleep I have a race to win tomorrow. Cheers Scotty.