Best way to source complete rebuild kit?

I tore apart my 07 that had a hairline crack in the case and am looking at getting the parts to put it back together over Christmas break.

Am I better off looking for parts individually to get a better deal, or should I be looking for the complete top/bottom end kits.

I'm looking to replace the crank/crank bearings and top end.

Motosport has a complete hot rod crank/wiseco piston rebuild kit for around $640. I am hoping to find something for a little less than this if possible. Is it possible to piece it together cheaper?

Thanks,

Tim

i just got done doing everything but bottom end on my 04 and found the kits to be the best way to go.

270 cylinderworks bb kit

ti valves springs guides...etc

stage 2 cams

had head redone locally and

pick it up from friends house that does rebuilds tonight oh ya!

if you have the time and patience ebay will be the cheapest. you should be able to find a set of used cases for cheap.

if you have the time and patience ebay will be the cheapest. you should be able to find a set of used cases for cheap.

I have the motor out and completely torn down. I bought a set of cases off ebay already. I'm probably going to keep the transmission in the one side and fit the new half to the old existing one.

What I'm looking for now is the parts to get the whole thing back together. I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off sourcing it as a whole kit or piecing everything together (gasket set, main bearings, crank assy, top end kit, etc).

-Tim

I'm not certain with bike cases but with most other cases they are a machined pair and have to be kept together.

I'm not certain with bike cases but with most other cases they are a machined pair and have to be kept together.

I've heard this also. I'm a little confused as to how it won't work though I guess. Obviously it will bolt up, but maybe stuff inside that I can't see may not line up perfectly? If this is the case I guess I'll have to move the trans over to the new case.

-Tim

I've heard this also. I'm a little confused as to how it won't work though I guess. Obviously it will bolt up, but maybe stuff inside that I can't see may not line up perfectly? If this is the case I guess I'll have to move the trans over to the new case.

-Tim

yes they're put together then everything is bored to line up. I'd switch it over to be safe. not that big job.

I got the transmission swapped into the new case. A little tricky getting everything lined up, but it's good now.

I Put the halves together with the trans in just to see how it works. I'm assuming whenever the driveshaft and countershaft spin freely it's in neutral?

If that's the case, its normal for it to be impossible to find neutral when the driveshaft is spinning right (In a perfect world)?

I got the transmission swapped into the new case. A little tricky getting everything lined up, but it's good now.

I Put the halves together with the trans in just to see how it works. I'm assuming whenever the driveshaft and countershaft spin freely it's in neutral?

If that's the case, its normal for it to be impossible to find neutral when the driveshaft is spinning right (In a perfect world)?

sounds like you have it

Does $499 sound reasonable for everything I need?

-77mm 13.8:1 Vertex Piston

-Hotrods OEM Replacement Crankshaft

-Main Bearings

-Complete Gasket Kit

-Tim

Does $499 sound reasonable for everything I need?

-77mm 13.8:1 Vertex Piston

-Hotrods OEM Replacement Crankshaft

-Main Bearings

-Complete Gasket Kit

-Tim

fair enough price:thumbsup:

Another question regarding replacement parts for this.

The whole reason the case cracked is because the plate pressed into the kickstart idle gear came out and wedged itself in the shifting assembly. Now, should I replace this gear (which is in perfect condition w/ the exception of the plate pressed in it) for a new one w/ the plate, or run this one again?

I'm assuming the pate pressed in was some sort of oil catch? Are people running the gear w/out the plate, or getting a new gear w/ the plate pressed in?

Thanks,

Tim

Another question regarding replacement parts for this.

The whole reason the case cracked is because the plate pressed into the kickstart idle gear came out and wedged itself in the shifting assembly. Now, should I replace this gear (which is in perfect condition w/ the exception of the plate pressed in it) for a new one w/ the plate, or run this one again?

I'm assuming the pate pressed in was some sort of oil catch? Are people running the gear w/out the plate, or getting a new gear w/ the plate pressed in?

Thanks,

Tim

can't answer that, sorry. but if it was me I'd put it back to stock however you have to do that.