Sign in to follow this  

Provective gear help for a new guy

Whats up everyone. I'm going to get into trail riding next season and need to get some protective gear. I have zero off road experience and know nothing about off road gear. So what do I need to get and whats a good brand? I'm guessing a leather once piece is a little to much.

Thanks

You might consider one of the package deals some suppliers offer (see below). One of my friends bought the one below, it's pretty entry level stuff, but it served him well for the first year or so.

If you have more to spend and know your gonna like the sport, then buy higher quality gear. About the only thing I wouldn't consider mandatory in that kit is the jersey and bag. And yes, I'd skip the one peice leather suit!

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/ocelot-super-package-deal/PKG-OCELOT-SUPER10.aspx

the more gear you wear the less you will hurt!

I wear boots, knee pads, mx pants, padded shorts, kidney belt, jersey, chest protector, elbow pads, helmet, goggles, gloves...

you can get the cheap package deal above which is a great deal and will do you fine,but remember it is cheaper for a reason and there is better stuff out there that will be lighter, last longer, better fitting, look better.... my buddy bought that package and it lasted him about a year. but if you have the cash and want to spend it you can piece together the same package with the gear you want and get higher quality stuff but that can add up real quick...all really depends on how much $$ you have to spend and how much you will be riding...

I wear boots, knee pads, mx pants, padded shorts, kidney belt, jersey, chest protector, elbow pads, helmet, goggles, gloves...

:busted: I wear the same.... cheap insurance.

I've got enough gear to outfit two or three people right now. What works for one person may be real uncomfortable for another. I can't wear a pressure suit... tried it, just couldn't do it. I love my tekvest, but a lot of people think they're too hot.

MX helmet with 509 or Habervision goggles, sometimes just sunglasses, sometimes a dualsport helmet.

Most of the time offroad I've got a Tekvest on... $$, warmer than the plastic stuff, but way more comfortable and better protection. On the street I've got a fieldsheer adventure jacket. Dualsport rides I'll pull the armor out of my jacket and shoulders off of my tekvest, then wear my vest under the jacket. Impact protection of the vest with abrasion resistance and waterproofiness of the jacket. Elbow pads are actually for paintball, proto defender pads. A lot thinner than the MX stuff, comfortable enough to wear all day, and enough protection for most wrecks on the trail.

Shorts are Tekrider's, made for snocross, and no longer manufactured. :busted:

Pants... got a pair of Klim Revolt OTB pants that I really like except for the tiny pockets. Got another pair of Fox Panther pants, $30 on closeout a few years ago. Have a pair of in-the-boot pants too, I don't wear those very often. Been wearing the Thor Force knee guards for a few years and have been real happy with them.

Thor Quadrant ATV boots... decent grip on the sole for hiking around, and reasonably priced. To/from work or around town I just wear steel-toe work boots.

I don't think there's one "perfect" set of gear out there. I've had to mix-and-match to find what works best for me. I'm really happy with my gear situation right now, but it's taken me about 3 years to get it right.

I wear one of those 661 armor shirt things. It looks kind of Mad Maxish, and the chest protecter is a bit soft, but I have found the built in shoulder, elbow, and back protection very helpful in keeping me in good health. Shin and knee protection are also a great idea.

One thing to consider, off road, is that when you bail it's not onto goormed dirt... you're probably gonna fall on rocks, sticks, fenceposts, etc.

Yep, that's about it.

If I was nude (or say in underpants) and had to choose one item for riding gear, it'd be boots first.

Then a helmet, goggles, knee braces, riding pants, gloves, a long sleeve shirt.

When riding a hard packed MX tracks I like thin elbow guards.

I like a kidney belt and armor for a little spine protection when I take a slide or by own bike hits me in the back.

I'm not sold on neck braces because I like the thought of being able to tuck and roll.

wow lots of good info. thank you so much. I was thinking about getting one of those once piece armor "Jackets'' like the astars or acerbis or something. I think I will like having my whole upperbody built into once piece of protection. Does anyone have any experience with them? When I ride, I like to be over protected. So I probably will get a neck brace at some point and just wondering how those armor upper body jackets integrate with a neck brace. Thanks again for all the info. Much appreciated.

I have a friend that has a armor jacket setup and he hates it. He said it made him very hot and had no air flow. He only wore it once.

It wouldn't hurt to have short term disability insurance as well for the "just in case" scenario if all that was previously mentioned failed to protect you.

I have a friend that has a armor jacket setup and he hates it. He said it made him very hot and had no air flow. He only wore it once.

Same here. I have a Thor sort-of-armored jacket and it's too hot after a few minutes and too bulky to carry after I take it off. Just like in other active sports, layering of thin stuff is the way to go.

Make sure to add a hydration pack to the list, a cheap one works fine; nothing at all like dying of thirst miles from the truck to bring down a good day. And drinking from someone else's isn't great from an 'ick' perspective.

In general, I prefer the 'less is more' approach to gear. Knee and elbow pads do more harm than good in my case, same with the pressure suit- I like/need freedom of movement and seem to fall pretty safely. I tend to go more toward just good pants (love the Fox 360), Gaerne boots, thin gloves and a helmet. Then a thin shirt or jersey and an ultra thin jacket when it's chilly out and a chest protector to keep sticks out of my innards. I also wear a heavy duty fanny pack for tools, wallet, keys and etc.

I buy gear on closeout 99% of the time, the manufacturers produce different looks every year or two and the older stuff can be had for pretty much pennies on ebay and from the catalog stores. For example, the Fox pant I like is $150 or so for 2011-12 styles, but 2008 or older is $30 or so, still brand new.

aloottttt of bubble wrap. :busted:

but seriously , i wear a helmet with a foldable chin/visor so it covers my face when i go face first, i have chest protectors and a jersey under a sweatshirt with riding pants and some form of stiff ankled boots. i've got thor gear right now, seems to be holding up pretty well for the money! depending on the ride and how my hands are feeling i might go gloveless because of all my callases..

In general, I prefer the 'less is more' approach to gear. Knee and elbow pads do more harm than good in my case, same with the pressure suit- I like/need freedom of movement and seem to fall pretty safely. I tend to go more toward just good pants (love the Fox 360), Gaerne boots, thin gloves and a helmet. Then a thin shirt or jersey and an ultra thin jacket when it's chilly out and a chest protector to keep sticks out of my innards.
One part that sounds wrong to me - to have a chest protector for sticks, but your knee caps have just thin nylon over them.

I'm with you 100% on buying last year's gear on big discount. Massive savings. :busted:

THIS has saved me from some serious pain! I tumbled head over heels about 60 feet down a rocky cliff with this on and got right up. I'm totally convinced it saved me from a hospital trip that day.

Sure it might get a little warm when you're not moving but mine fits me so well I forget I'm wearing it half the time, and remember...sweat washes off, a broken spine not so much. I had the traditional style guard like whats in that package, it's called a roost guard for a reason...it's there to guard against roost nailing you in the chest, or a broken lever stabbing you in the gut...it does nothing for padding a fall.

Other than that get what feels comfortable, I wear a mishmash of brands depending entirely on what fits me best. A gear package can be a good deal but if half the stuff doesn't fit you right then you'll be spending more cashola pretty quick anyway. Best to do it up right the first time and no that doesn't mean you need to buy top of the line.

Oh yeah..hydration pack is an absolute must!

THIS has saved me from some serious pain! I tumbled head over heels about 60 feet down a rocky cliff with this on and got right up. I'm totally convinced it saved me from a hospital trip that day.

Sure it might get a little warm when you're not moving but mine fits me so well I forget I'm wearing it half the time, and remember...sweat washes off, a broken spine not so much. I had the traditional style guard like whats in that package, it's called a roost guard for a reason...it's there to guard against roost nailing you in the chest, or a broken lever stabbing you in the gut...it does nothing for padding a fall.

Other than that get what feels comfortable, I wear a mishmash of brands depending entirely on what fits me best. A gear package can be a good deal but if half the stuff doesn't fit you right then you'll be spending more cashola pretty quick anyway. Best to do it up right the first time and no that doesn't mean you need to buy top of the line.

Oh yeah..hydration pack is an absolute must!

Yea I'm definitely going to get one of those, but I have to find one that will fit me. I'm 5'6'' and a whopping 125lbs. So I gotta find a place I can try them on. Thanks for all the responses everyone. Helps a ton. Especially about the hydration pack. I would have never thought of that one. :busted:

One part that sounds wrong to me - to have a chest protector for sticks, but your knee caps have just thin nylon over them.

I'm with you 100% on buying last year's gear on big discount. Massive savings. :busted:

It's one of the reasons I like the 360 pant, it has several layers of padded thickness at the knees- I get too bulked-up with knee guards on in standing-to sitting transitions, of which we have a lot where I ride.

35+ years of riding, so far so good without knee damage other than scrapes, plus my faster years are behind me at this point. A beginner should probably buy them though, agreed.

Minimum, helmet, boots would not ride without those. knee pads/braces, elbow guards, chest protector/press suit,neck braces, listed in order of importance to me. Although I don't wear the first two all the time and don't even own the last two. If you ride in the woods Bark busters come right after helmet and boots.

Dont forget bark busters! Those have saved me so many times. Also a chest protector. Those two items are must haves (excluding the required stuff like helmet, boots) when riding off road.

Dont forget bark busters! Those have saved me so many times. Also a chest protector. Those two items are must haves (excluding the required stuff like helmet, boots) when riding off road.
Minimum, helmet, boots would not ride without those. knee pads/braces, elbow guards, chest protector/press suit,neck braces, listed in order of importance to me. Although I don't wear the first two all the time and don't even own the last two. If you ride in the woods Bark busters come right after helmet and boots.

The BB's are more about protecting your hands than the levers. They also deflect off of trees a lot of times which allows you to bounce away instead of grabbing or digging into the tree which would likely result with a rapid meeting with the ground.