Sign in to follow this  

Bars and such help

Hate to keep asking for help, but you guys are just so....helpful:lol:

I'd like to upgrade a few things but not sure what all works together. Here's what I'm looking to change. Right now I'm so cramped can't stand and ride which I need to do for trails...all i ride.

Bars-something way higher

Risers-maybe an inch? With new higher bars should be good.

G2 throttle tube-not really necessary, but whatever helps

Levers-clutch needs easier pull...shorty

Brakes front-Sucks ASS!...read somewhere about changing the MC piston..is this true? If so part#

Pegs...Read somewhere about stock SS. These really fit and lower a little?

Will all this work with stock lines? Or are they too short and need to be replaced? (in which case I don't have the funds for all this, lol)

As far as ergo's, I went with aftermarket triple clamps that put the bar clamps further forward as well as higher bend bars to open up the cockpit. Unless you're are super tall, I would advise against raising the bars too much.

Sorry bm, didn't even think to add...I'm only 6foot, not like some of these super tall guys. :busted:

I need new bars as mine are bent (day one of me having the bike). New triple clamps are out I think only because of the cost.

Haha...thanks Hopper. Never would have found that thread. Post up when you get something!! (i'll have to compare the raise of bars i guess)

Renthal RC highs (least amount of sweep) and a set of risers if you need that much rise but IMO its not necessary so I would give just the bars a shot first, if you need more grab some risers. I'm 6'4 and my set up is Renthal Twinwall Windham bend (quite a bit taller than stock), everything else is stock. I stand about 85% of the time since I ride mx and with just the bars I can stand comfortably. Tall seat foam will erase the need to lower pegs as well when sitting.

As far as your brakes... swap to the honda MC. Its a popular mod with the Yz guys and I have one on every bike I own. You can usually grab a full Honda set up off ebay for under $50. Do a search on it if you want more info. Theres a TON of threads out there on it!

Your should be able to get well under $150 total for bars and the Honda MC and it will really open up the cockpit for you.

I'm going to have to measure my stock bars for a baseline (attempt to). Looks like the adapters I need raise them an additional 3/4in. So the Pastrana or RC Highs may actually be to high.?

Maybe a Henry Reed in Pro Taper?...Hahahaha, so many choices.

*need to do more research on the brakes...hate to order something and not have it fit...I'm paranoid like that.

I'm going to have to measure my stock bars for a baseline (attempt to). Looks like the adapters I need raise them an additional 3/4in. So the Pastrana or RC Highs may actually be to high.?

Maybe a Henry Reed in Pro Taper?...Hahahaha, so many choices.

*need to do more research on the brakes...hate to order something and not have it fit...I'm paranoid like that.

Thats why I prefer the Renthal Windham bend, It adds appx 105mm from grip level to the triple.

As far as the brakes, its an easy swap. You can grab an entire 2000+ CR or CRF front set up and mount it right up to your YZ. That easy. It bolts right on to your YZ hanger. Nothing to be paranoid about, theres 100's of guys on here that have done the swap successfully and will swear by the results. Im running CRF front brake set ups on every one of my bikes. Heres a link to some quick info for you from a few weeks ago.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999951&highlight=honda+brakes

Sweet. Yeah, read that thread awhile back. Just got confused cause one guy like you says "bolts right up" another one said need to order a new fork guard.

*I'm about 90% sure i'm going to start looking to do the brake swap, just pisses me off that the stuff on my bike is a good brand, good stuff...just works like shit.

Sweet. Yeah, read that thread awhile back. Just got confused cause one guy like you says "bolts right up" another one said need to order a new fork guard.

*I'm about 90% sure i'm going to start looking to do the brake swap, just pisses me off that the stuff on my bike is a good brand, good stuff...just works like shit.

We all have that same feeling man... the only reason to get the lightspeed fork guards is because it has the clamp for the CR style brake line that wraps inside the fork leg instead of under it. Dont really need it, I have the Honda line on my 08 and it works perfect without being connected to anything extra on top of the Yamaha mounts. Probably one of the best overall mods on our Yamaha's. Ill confirm that it 100% bolts right up.