Sign in to follow this  

need help with fuel valve

I know this is a stupid question but how the hell do i turn the fuel off on my drz 400 07 all it says on it is ON ,PRI and RES i left it on pri and when i opened up the air box the the next day the air filter was soaked in fuel. can you guys please help me out here

i have a 2007 E model and mine says off, on ,res. maybe you have an aftermarket valve on yours. anyways off should be with the lever horizontal.

If tap is working correctly, Fuel shouldn't come out when on RES or ON....

Installing a Manual petcock is the best way to be sure

fuel shouldnt come out when on res, or on?

so if i disconnect fuel line and turn valve to on, no fuel should come out?

On or RES...your tap sounds like it has issues..they can be re built but after a while the same problem can come back to bite you....That's why I recommend you install a manual fuel tap...

my drz has the same problem fuel comes out when it is on off bit annoying when taking the tank off so i just block the fuel pipe...i just bought a new tap off ebay....i think one from suzuki was £80

any down side to the manual petcock? I might invest because it seems like its just one less thing to break. What's Suzuki's reason for the vacuum operated one?

antho3024 - PRI is prime - fuel is on all the time. ON is on and RES is reserve. Fuel is off with the motor not running and on when the motor is running (engine vacuum operated petcock). You leave the lever set to ON or RES when the motorcycle is parked.

So far you have not said if you have a problem. It is not unusual or even defective to find fuel in the air box if you leave the motorcycle parked with the lever set to PRI. If it still happens with the lever set to ON or RES, then the fuel petcock is defective and all the advise about manual replacement petcocks applies.

antho3024 - PRI is prime - fuel is on all the time. ON is on and RES is reserve. Fuel is off with the motor not running and on when the motor is running (engine vacuum operated petcock). You leave the lever set to ON or RES when the motorcycle is parked.

So far you have not said if you have a problem. It is not unusual or even defective to find fuel in the air box if you leave the motorcycle parked with the lever set to PRI. If it still happens with the lever set to ON or RES, then the fuel petcock is defective and all the advise about manual replacement petcocks applies.

So If I change the petcock to a manual one, what do i do with the vacuum line? Do i just plug the hole? Will it matter plugging the hole (I think it's in the carb)? I don't want to have my petcock replacement cause another problem.

On the stock Mikuni carb you will need to plug the little metal tube where the vacuum line goes on, if you don't you will have an air leak. I plugged mine with one of those vinyl vacuum caps from an auto parts store. It will run with the cap off but it doesn't like to idle and runs poorly, I know this because the first cap I put on fell off. I then put a slightly smaller one on and used a zip tie as well.

If the vacuum signal comes off of the head you will need to plug that when the vacuum line goes away.

Edited by npm

I put a manual petcock off a Yamaha Raptor on mine to aviod the hassles of the OEM vacuum petcock. I just ALWAYS turn it to off when I shut off the engine even if it is only for a few minutes. The petcok from Yamaha is rebuildable and only cost $20. It fits perfect too.I had the Yamaha WR petcock but in my opinion the Raptor petcock fits better. Both work and are about the same price.

Edited by pschiess

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to be going to get the Acerbis petcock. It's like 15 bucks.

FIRST THING YOU NEED TO FIX:

If leaving the petcock on prime flooded your air filter than the float valve in your carb is not sealing properly. This should be fixed ASAP. Might be some junk got into it or the needle has a groove worn in it.

If either of the float valve or the petcock stop the fuel then no problem but if they both either leak or are left on then you will have issues with the engine filling up with fuel. Not good.

MY ARGUMENTS FOR KEEPING THE VACUUM PETCOCK:

Well if the vacuum operated one leaks, then you can flood the engine with fuel.

Well if you forget to turn off the manual one then you can flood the engine with fuel.

A manual one can still fail and start leaking too. An automatic vacuum one remembers to turn off every time unlike the manual one.

THE VACUUM ONE IS A SAFETY FEATURE. It could be fatal if you forget to turn on your gas and pull out from a stop sign onto the highway running on the little fuel in the bowl. Not nice to stall with a semi approaching quickly.

Also, if you lay the bike down it is nice if it shuts off as soon as the bike stalls.

If the vacuum petcock leaks first try taking the screws out on the back and having a look at the o-ring on the plunger. Simply reversing it has worked for me as it can wear. If you choose to replace it the size is 4mm I.D x 2mm thick (8mm O.D).

Another possibility is if the "happy face" or "smiley face" gasket on the knob side of the valve has torn. This gasket is available for other models of Yamaha and Suzuki bikes for about $5 though it doesn't have a number listed for the DRZ. Sorry, it is late or I would search for a thread from last year that has the part numbers. A little grease on the gasket and the knob groove help prevent tearing this gasket as well as making the knob easier to turn.

Just remember, like a manual petcock walking is more 'failproof' than riding but I don't hear that suggested when the bike needs a few parts to continue.

Edited by slowriding