08 KTM EXCR 530 Crankshaft Seal Oil Transfer Issue

I recently discovered this problem on mine and since it was under warranty i decided to let my dealer take care of it. i just called them and asked what they did. they said they only swapped out one of the crankshaft seals (not sure which side). i'm concerned w/ this for a couple of reasons. i may be wrong, but aren't crankshaft seals something you want to replace at the same time? also from what i've read this known problem can happen on either side. just doesn't seem like a good idea to swap one out especially since the new seals were re engineered differently. i know many dealers are notorious for only fixing what's broke, and preventative maintenance usually isn't in their nature, but this situation seems a little ridiculous. i feel like that other seal may blow out any day and i'll have to pay another pick up charge. i haven't picked up the bike yet. i want to know if there's perhaps any documentation or articles out there backing up my opinions on this that i could at least show them and demand the other seal get swapped out. does anyone have any input on what i should do? thx a lot..

The trans side seal would be the one with the problem and the one to be replaced. Another cause of the oil transfer issues (some feel the real cause) can be with the oil pump cover O-Ring. If it leaks it can transfer oil between the engine/trans in either direction depending on where it's leaking at. 2011 models come with a upgraded thicker O-Ring installed on the oil pump cover as well as thicker upgraded oil pump gears. I would recommend upgrading both the cover O-ring and the gears to the newer parts.

Here's a link to a HOW-To article on the process: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697495

and a link to the seal replacement process:

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=331342

Hodakaguy

great thx for the info. yea i've seen that seal replacement thread but didn't realize it was just one. didn't look over the steps good, and i mistook those first pix of the seals to be 2 separate ones, but it looks like it was just turned over..

great thread on the oil pump gear issue. didn't know about that. think i'll get those Blais gears. so there's no risk to replacing plastic w/ metal gears? i know sometimes they intentionally put plastic in so that the gears strip out before worse damage is done. just thought i'd ask.

also, just to clarify.. which o-ring part # needs to be replaced here, 13?

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=690718&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=KTM&year=2008&fveh=18436

thx again..

My new '08 530 EXC had the spinning right crankcase seal problem. After the third attempt at replacing the seal and having it spin in 10 -20 hrs again, KTM finally replaced the cases under warranty. This did solve the problem.

And yes, at least one of the attempts at just replacing the seal utilized the proper loctite primer and adhesive. It still failed.

My new '08 530 EXC had the spinning right crankcase seal problem. After the third attempt at replacing the seal and having it spin in 10 -20 hrs again, KTM finally replaced the cases under warranty. This did solve the problem.

And yes, at least one of the attempts at just replacing the seal utilized the proper loctite primer and adhesive. It still failed.

that's really great that KTM replaced your cases free of charge!

ok this is what i don't understand.. i told my KTM dealer where i purchased the motorcycle that this was clearly a known issue with other owners and they looked into it for me. they told me that there wasn't any recalls on this model, and KTM most likely would not cover the parts/labor. so we went through my 3rd party extended warranty company instead. (lucky i purchased that for 800 bucks!) i would have done it myself but i figured i may as well since i have the warranty (plus i think that would void the warranty), also i wanted it documented in case there was future issues.. i'd imagine that warranty company would love to know that this is a defect and KTM should be covering these costs. makes you wonder how much companies like these have shelled out for KTM's screw up already.. at what point does KTM step forward and say they'll cover the charges? did you work through a KTM licensed dealer, or did you deal with them personally? i'm wondering what steps i should take to make sure this is handled and covered properly in case it happens again and it turns out i do need more serious work done? thx for the help.. really appreciate it..

great thx for the info. yea i've seen that seal replacement thread but didn't realize it was just one. didn't look over the steps good, and i mistook those first pix of the seals to be 2 separate ones, but it looks like it was just turned over..

great thread on the oil pump gear issue. didn't know about that. think i'll get those Blais gears. so there's no risk to replacing plastic w/ metal gears? i know sometimes they intentionally put plastic in so that the gears strip out before worse damage is done. just thought i'd ask.

also, just to clarify.. which o-ring part # needs to be replaced here, 13?

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=690718&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=KTM&year=2008&fveh=18436

thx again..

That's the outer pump on part 13, you want the inner oil pump cover/o-ring...parts 6 & 7

Hodakaguy

Yeah, it was really great. A new bike only down four different times with months waiting periods. The dealer that finally got KTM to kick down some new cases left a loose extra case bolt in the ignition case which ruined my Trail Tech stator and put the scavenge oil pump rotor on backwards. The dealer bought me a new stator but, by this point, I did another top end that was ruined from the wet sump myself.

But...after all was said and done, my 530 was flawless after all that.

I imagine that you will have a difficult time getting an after market warranty to pick up new cases. It was hard enough with a new bike from KTM.

Yeah, it was really great. A new bike only down four different times with months waiting periods. The dealer that finally got KTM to kick down some new cases left a loose extra case bolt in the ignition case which ruined my Trail Tech stator and put the scavenge oil pump rotor on backwards. The dealer bought me a new stator but, by this point, I did another top end that was ruined from the wet sump myself.

But...after all was said and done, my 530 was flawless after all that.

I imagine that you will have a difficult time getting an after market warranty to pick up new cases. It was hard enough with a new bike from KTM.

yea that sounds like an awful experience, geez.. guess i'll just take it one step at a time.. talked to the dealer about it already. and they completely covered this one, even the oil and pickup.. gonna carefully measure my oil levels from here on out, and swap out that oil pump cover and o-ring asap.. if i happens again, i'll see if i can get KTM involved..

anyone have links to the supposed cam issues w/ this bike? want to read that over. and if there's any other pitfalls you guys know about w/ this model please let me know.. i depend on this bike to get me to work everyday so i want to do all of the preventive maintenance i possibly can.. already desmogged w/ jdjet kit fyi.. thx again..