Sign in to follow this  

Washington Dirt Noob looking for places to build confidence and single track skills

Greetings

I'm looking for some input on good places where I noob like myself can go for a mild enough solo single track ride to build confidence, but be challenged enough to build skills. I've been a street and dualsport rider for the last 5 years, but this year I go the itch to become a better dirt rider. My goal for the winter is to gain enough trail time to be able to ride some of the higher elevation trail systems and not be the one that is always holding up the group.

I've gone to Walker a few times with other people showing me the way, but I haven't really figured out what the easiest trails are (and it hard to figure it out from the map) and there are many trails out here that I would not want to be riding alone and several I don't even want to consider riding with help at this point.

I'm planning to get out Tahuya a few times this winter most likely for midweek rides. I've been out there on mountain bikes some 10 years ago, so I kind of know what to expect. I just wish it wasn't 2+ hours away. Once I get out there what are the best areas to ride and not risk drowning in a puddle?

I also have a pipe dream that there might be a small area around Marysville/Arlington that has some open space to work on my bike handling as well as a few short trails that I can spend a couple hours when time allow without having to load up the bike and drive somewhere.

I know there a private track within 3 miles of my house (Tasky's had held their demo days there), Next time I'm in Everett I'll be stopping to chat with Jeff about it, but I don't know if that will lead anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings

I'm looking for some input on good places where I noob like myself can go for a mild enough solo single track ride to build confidence, but be challenged enough to build skills. I've been a street and dualsport rider for the last 5 years, but this year I go the itch to become a better dirt rider. My goal for the winter is to gain enough trail time to be able to ride some of the higher elevation trail systems and not be the one that is always holding up the group.

I've gone to Walker a few times with other people showing me the way, but I haven't really figured out what the easiest trails are (and it hard to figure it out from the map) and there are many trails out here that I would not want to be riding alone and several I don't even want to consider riding with help at this point.

I'm planning to get out Tahuya a few times this winter most likely for midweek rides. I've been out there on mountain bikes some 10 years ago, so I kind of know what to expect. I just wish it wasn't 2+ hours away. Once I get out there what are the best areas to ride and not risk drowning in a puddle?

I also have a pipe dream that there might be a small area around Marysville/Arlington that has some open space to work on my bike handling as well as a few short trails that I can spend a couple hours when time allow without having to load up the bike and drive somewhere.

I know there a private track within 3 miles of my house (Tasky's had held their demo days there), Next time I'm in Everett I'll be stopping to chat with Jeff about it, but I don't know if that will lead anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Mid week? I could meet you out there sometime. I'm off Thursdays and Fridays. I'm not very familier with the single track sections out there though, but would like to explore them.

Edited by mikewrf18

I'm off on Thursdays and Fridays...let me know when you want to go. I know some decent single track at Tahuya. That's Jr's track.

David

I'm off on Thursdays and Fridays...let me know when you want to go. I know some decent single track at Tahuya. That's Jr's track.

David

I'll take you up on that! How about this Friday. I might be heading up to CF tomarrow.

I'm in the same position. I live in Kenmore and keep hoping I'll find a little place nearby to practice without the long drive. I've never been to Walker but rode the singletrack all last winter at Tahuya. I think its a great place to practice and worth the drive. Maybe we could carpool out there? I'm hoping to ride every other week, mainly weekends but a few midweek rides here and there. Let me know if you're interested. I'm a beginner too and just looking to get out and learn to ride better.

Also if you have a mountain bike its the next best thing to practice on. Riding it fast downhill is good cross training.

Check out Machias. Read about it on ADV rider. Get out and explore on your Mtn bike. You may find a few places nearby that you can poach. I know of a few in Everett but tend to only go in for 15-30 minutes for fear of getting caught. However, the Sherpa of yours may just be quiet enough. :busted:

Hey I'm also in Kenmore and wouldn't mind carpooling to Tahuya for trail rides this winter. Mostly I ride on the weekends (thinking about this Sunday?) but every once in a while I can take off on a weekday morning. Speaking of, David, any news for a ride this weekend or next week? I can't do this Thursday.

Im in Bothell, Always looking for people to ride with.... Usually weekends but being a chef my schedule fluctuates so I often have weekdays off...All about Tahuya for the winter...

SC

Sunday looks best this week, anybody heading out to Tahuya? Man need to hit Capital Peak before it closes too. could ride from my house also, mmm.... decisions!:busted:

Looking for some folks to ride with this winter as well (most likely Tahuya). I have a few friends who ride, but sometimes it's hard to line the schedules up. I've been going to Tahuya solo but want to cut that out...more fun to ride with others, not to mention much safer.

Seattlechronic I'm pretty sure we've ridden DH at Whistler one time or another (I'm Dave M. on bigbikes).

I'm out for this weekend but hope to hook up for a ride soon. Btw, I'm in Seattle.

Cheers...Dave

I'm thinking about riding at Tahuya this weekend. Saturday or Sunday.

Sunday definitely looks best weather wise as Spr Dave 520 mentioned. I'm good to meet up Sunday morning at the Belfair QFC, or Elfindale. I don't know that I can be there as the sun rises or anything though, it is a 2 hour drive. I think thats probably true for a number of us though.

If anyone wants to carpool from Kenmore let me know

Looking for some folks to ride with this winter as well (most likely Tahuya). I have a few friends who ride, but sometimes it's hard to line the schedules up. I've been going to Tahuya solo but want to cut that out...more fun to ride with others, not to mention much safer.

Seattlechronic I'm pretty sure we've ridden DH at Whistler one time or another (I'm Dave M. on bigbikes).

I'm out for this weekend but hope to hook up for a ride soon. Btw, I'm in Seattle.

Cheers...Dave

And that we have!!! Good to see you over here....LEts get together and ride Dave.