Sign in to follow this  

Am I loading wrong?

No matter how tight I strap my bike, trailer or truck bed, it leans to the left when making right turns. Never leans to the right when makin left turns. It was doin it while her four wheeler was on the left side of the traier and my bike was leaning so far it would touch her four wheeler. Jus puzzled is all. Thanks fellas

Are you using a "Fork Brace" between your tire and fender? If not, try using one. When turning hard or stopping fast it will keep your forks from compressing. I use one on all our bikes. They work well.

C.B.

It's a matter of leverage. With your description I assume you are loading your bike on the right side of the truck or trailer. Your anchor point is too close to the center of gravity of your bike. There are a few things you can do. You can move the anchor point farther to the right or move the bike farther to the left. (away from the anchor on the right) If neither of those options are possible and even if they are I suggest you also add a spacer between the front fender (just under the triple clamp) and the tire. The spacer should be short enough to just slip in when there is no additional weight on the bike. (I use a 2 by 4) Specific tools are sold to do this (I think they are called fork savers) but certainly you can cut a piece of wood for much less. When you cinch down the straps to the point the front tire just starts to deform the forks will not be able to compress and allow the distance from the anchor points to change and you will have a more secure haul. Also either use the tie downs that have safety hooks or use a short bungee cord hooked between both tie downs just in case you do get slack in one of the tie downs they will not unhook.

I know everybody has their own method of hauling but these are all fixes for problems I have had along the way and lessons I learned the hard way. Take the few extra minuets to tie down properly so you don't have to pick up the pieces after it falls off the trailer at 55 mph.

It was in the center of a truck bed and did it as well. I have eye bolts in my trailer floor so the bike is centered in my anchor points. It does it when compressed or jus snug. I read somewhere not to compress the forks when hauling thou.....guess I'll read into the "fork saver" thing.

It was in the center of a truck bed and did it as well. I have eye bolts in my trailer floor so the bike is centered in my anchor points. It does it when compressed or jus snug. I read somewhere not to compress the forks when hauling thou.....guess I'll read into the "fork saver" thing.

If the bike is centered in the truck bed and is leaning over then you are not pulling it down tight enough. If you are not compressing the forks then that is your problem. There is no issue with compressing the forks during transport, stories of it being bad for seals are urban legends.

I'm not a big fan of fork braces personally because if one ever pops out when you hit a bump then the bike will no longer be tight and down it will go (I have seen this happen).

I'm not a big fan of fork braces personally because if one ever pops out when you hit a bump then the bike will no longer be tight and down it will go (I have seen this happen).

You make a good point, I never thought that may happen. I pull mine tight enough that I think this is unlikely but certainly possible. We could use an attachment that would not allow the spacer to come out but then where does it end, double straps just in case one breaks? A little faith goes a long way!

If the bike is centered in the truck bed and is leaning over then you are not pulling it down tight enough. If you are not compressing the forks then that is your problem. There is no issue with compressing the forks during transport, stories of it being bad for seals are urban legends.

+1 on everything!

As stated, compress the forks more. I'm not a fan of the fork braces due to the fact that they can pop out. On an open trailer that can turn disasterous!

I'll start making it tight. Still confused why it would only lean one way.....

If I load the night before, I just leave them slightly loose. Then I tighten them right before I leave. Same thing with when I get to the riding area. If I'm not going to ride for awhile I release the tension. I don't like to leave the forks compressed for extended amounts of time.

you mentioned the tie down points were located in the corners of the truck bed, but where was the bike located? If the bike was not centered...as I suspect it wasnt since you mentioned having a 4 wheeler in there as well...this explains your issue. As kx450f63 stated, its all about leverage. If the bike is not centered between the tie down points, then you create a situation in which the bike is more likely to lean one way than another (without getting into the math behind it).

I use fork savers, and have never had a problem with them. The bike should be strapped down tight on it...to prevent them it jumping out. The other suggestion I would make is that you tie off the loose ends of your straps. As your tie downs age, they tend to start slipping - meaning they will loosen as you drive down the road (depending on the type of tie down straps you are using). So I always secure my straps to prevent the clamps from slipping at all.

If you decide to go the route of not using fork savers, I would strongly suggest that you bleed your forks prior to strapping your bike down...I learned this the hard way. And make sure you strap it down well because the forks should not be able to compress in the event you have to slam on your brakes.

There is one thing that has not been mentioned yet

Are you using cinch tie downs ?? or ratchet tie downs ??

If your using Cinch type , that might be your issue , they might be working loose , which is why i only use ratchet type tie downs , i also use Fork Supports http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=110&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webCatId=21&keyword=fork+support+suspension+saver&prodFamilyId=11640 my bikes never move , even on rough dirt roads or even rough dirt not really roads

take a 4x4 piece of lumber, cut out a section (block) that fits perfectly underneath the fender and rests on the top of the front tire. This keeps the forks from compressing. Then you just use ratcheting tie downs and crank it tight. Saves the forks, bike is really secure, and its cheap and very effective.

take a 4x4 piece of lumber, cut out a section (block) that fits perfectly underneath the fender and rests on the top of the front tire. This keeps the forks from compressing. Then you just use ratcheting tie downs and crank it tight. Saves the forks, bike is really secure, and its cheap and very effective.

this is what i did...and i think there is a very slim chance of the block popping out. I think if it popped out, the bike falling over would be the least of your problems.

also another way that you could load it into your truck is diagonally. i just put the front wheel in the front right corner of the bed and swing the back tire to where the bike is straight from the front right to the back left of the bed of the truck. then you attach the right handlebar strap to the back right and the left strap to the left front and i've never had any issues of my bike moving around.

just a note btw

i have had my forks leak on 2 occasions because of transporting with then compressed down

i always thought the same thing and always compressed them for transport

but after 2 seprate times my seals let go or just leaked i invested in a fork saver

has improved the life of my fork seals and they stay good longer

also never have had a problem since with my biek moving since useing a fork saver

even if you dont agrea about it saveing the fork seal

you have to agrea when you use a fork saver your bike does not even move in transport

i would use it just purely for that fact

just use them with bungee cords just in case of that 1% chance your 2 front strapes or even one lets go ,the fork saver drops out and go's slack the bungee's will save it and you will notice straight away

never had a problem thou

i also have 1 strape going over my seat pushing the back of my bike down slightly just as a added piece of mind

Edited by xDCxSMOKE

It has to do with the angle of the straps, if the strap to anchor angle is not equal or close to it the bike will lean towards the side that has the lesser angle when you turn.