Sign in to follow this  

ANOTHER clutch question

Ok, so I am tired of the way the clutch works on my 03 rm250. It is very notchy when letting the clutch out, and it likes to stall. It will not start in gear, and when I go to put the bike into gear (if it does not stall) it CLUNKS into gear hard. I have tried researching how to fix it (atf oil, basket grooves fix) but i still dont know what to do. My basket is fine with no grooving, and clutch plates look ok, with fresh oil.

Now i have heard this is a Suzuki thing. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT PARTS I NEED TO REPLACE TO MAKE IT WORK LIKE A NORMAL BIKE. I am frustrated, and want to get this bike ready for harescrambles in the spring.

DO full aftermarket clutches solve the problem??

A "grabby" clutch when it's let out, if everything else is in good condition then try switching over to a heavier oil, something like Bel-Ray 80w. As for it not starting well in gear or even "clunking" when you put it into gear, that's simple, your clutch isn't adjusted right. You need to expand the clutch lever adjuster, right now you have too much slack in the cable.

There should be about 1/8 inch of free play where the cable connects at the lever. I know my bike grabs and clunks into gear when first started, but once warm, it's fine. I run 10w 30 oil. Although, I can't start it with it in gear either.

what causes a bike to not start in gear. from what i read this is a suzuki thing, even when new. i am gonna race hare scrambles and need my bike to start in gear.

My 03 starts in gear no problem, only difference from stock is my Hinson basket.

The trick for dead engine starts

Bike and clutch well warmed up, pull clutch in with bike running and rock the bike back and forward to make sure clutch is disengaged.

Kill bike but do not release the clutch lever.

With lever still in rock bike back and forth to make sure clutch is still disengaged.

You're ready to go.

My 03 starts in gear no problem, only difference from stock is my Hinson basket.

The trick for dead engine starts

Bike and clutch well warmed up, pull clutch in with bike running and rock the bike back and forward to make sure clutch is disengaged.

Kill bike but do not release the clutch lever.

With lever still in rock bike back and forth to make sure clutch is still disengaged.

You're ready to go.

+1 ~ good tip!

FWIW my '08 starts fine in gear.

sure your clutch basket AND HUB are not grooved?

sounds like it

and grinding away the grooves isnt good either