Make your own skidplate?

Anyone here make their own skidplate?

most aftermarket ones cost about $100 bucks shipped give or take, i dunno, i just find that really overpriced considering what the metal cost ( i know they shape them and weld them, still seems a bit too expensive to me)

if you made your own, did it come out pretty good? or would you recommend just spending the money and buying a profesionally made one.

My bike came with no skid plate and i hate hearing the sound of rocks and things hitting the case, :busted: so i gotta get one, just wish it wasent so expensive for a $5 dollar piece of metal. :busted:

There are cheaper ones available, for example the Cycra plastic skid plate retails for $40.

CYCRA%20SPEED%20ARMOR%20SKID%20PLATES.jpg

I've made them ....... its more than $5 worth of metal and then with the time spent on making it, your better off buying it.

IMO aluminum is the only material to make a skid plate with.

if you have the skills and time its just a matter of getting everything measure and welded up. there is nothing special about how they do it.

BTW is your pic, Die Antwoord

Last time I made one of my own it was for a bike that didn't require any major contouring, just a simple bend and some mounting hardware and it worked fine. I used aluminum that...um....started life as a NO PARKINGsign. (I bought it at a surplus sale.....)

Cycra does not make one for my bike, and those dont protect the sides at all, good price tho.

That is Die Antwoord (ninja)

I dont have any welding equipment, and i dont want to just bend the metal on the side if the bike falls on it, it will just give in and bend more, id like it to protect the sides by being welded.

Guess ill just have to buy one, the original Yamaha one for my bike, (does not come on the bike stock, but optional) is $280 bucks, YIKES!

guess ill do the moose racing or msr ones for around $100.

i know people that have been making them out of tractor trailer mud flaps for years. all it takes is a razor knife and a piece of cardboard to get the shape you want. then saftey wire bolt or zip tie it on. if your on a budget its a great way to do it.

http://www.hyderacing.com/store/dirtbike/yamaha/yamaha.htm

Check these out. My new bike came with a poly skid plate and I am completly sold. Way better than any of the aluminum plates that I have had. As far as I am concerned aluminum for a skid plate really sucks. If you don't think it's going to be strong enough, you are kidding yourself. The poly that they use is the EXACT same poly in the EXACT same thickness that my whitewater kayaks are made out of, and whitewater kayaks hit more rocks in a single river run as a skid plate will hit in it's lifetime.

i know people that have been making them out of tractor trailer mud flaps for years. all it takes is a razor knife and a piece of cardboard to get the shape you want. then saftey wire bolt or zip tie it on. if your on a budget its a great way to do it.

Definately on a budget, thats the thing.

http://www.hyderacing.com/store/dirtbike/yamaha/yamaha.htm

Check these out. My new bike came with a poly skid plate and I am completly sold. Way better than any of the aluminum plates that I have had. As far as I am concerned aluminum for a skid plate really sucks. If you don't think it's going to be strong enough, you are kidding yourself. The poly that they use is the EXACT same poly in the EXACT same thickness that my whitewater kayaks are made out of, and whitewater kayaks hit more rocks in a single river run as a skid plate will hit in it's lifetime.

Those look outstanding! but they also dont make one for my bike, sucks.

i really like the look of those, probably really light too.

...but they also dont make one for my bike...

you need a new bike :busted:

Back in the '70s, a lot of people made them out of shovels. I remember reading an article by Ed Hertfelder in his Duct Tapes column of Cycle Magazine where he was talking about this. For those who never read any of Ed's columns, they would have you on the floor, rolling with laughter from some of the dumb things or predicaments he did. His comment was to use railroad shovels because the tool steel was much stronger than the ones you could buy at your local hardware store and they would last longer. The problem was drilling holes in the extra hardened steel so he decided to use his .30-06 deer rifle to just shoot holes through the shovel. He said,"You can't imagine the concussion you can create by doing this in a garage with a dirt floor. My eyes didn't stop shaking for two days and the ringing in my ears lasted nearly a week.". :busted:

seems like you could easily make yourself a carbon fiber one by using a friends plastic or cf one as a mold.

holy crap i like the skidplate combination pipe guard for the KDX's!!!!from hyde racing that is,wonder if its worth 180$???

Easy $6 of metal, an hour of cutting, bending, welding and I got this.

SANY1000.jpg

SANY0997.jpg

What kind of bike are you riding now? It wouldn't be difficult at all to make a simple skidplate that only covered the rails and bottom case. You could go to a local machine shop and they could bend it for you no problem. It seems like most plates are made of 6061 aluminum, although I think I've seen a few other alloys, like 7075, floating around, but I'm not entirely sure.

SANY1000.jpg

SANY0997.jpg

Thats what Im talking about. DIY and it looks great. Good job:thumbsup:

SANY1000.jpg

SANY0997.jpg

Thats what im talking about too! :busted:

That looks great and it covers up the sides great as well, which is what i want, i just dont have any welding equipment, otherwise, id do something like that. good job on that.

my bike is a 09 yamaha XT250. a dual sport bike that they sell with no skid plate on... :busted::bonk:

Back in the day, I had a C&J framed XL412. The skid plate had one bolt on the front. When that bolt was removed, the skid plate was just rotated downward, and then just came right off. There were two half-round brackets on the rear that engaged a frame cross member.

Wish I still had that bike.

If you can get your hands on some plating just make all the bends you need and then hold the sides on with vice grips right where you want them and then take it to somebody to weld it up for you.