Sign in to follow this  

1999 DR650 Rear wheel alignment

Has anyone else noticed wheel alignment issues. Check your rear wheel spindle and the loose adjuster that goes under the wheel nut.

The rear wheel spindle is 20mm and the thread on the end is 17mm yet both wheel adjusters have a 20mm clearance hole. The left adjuster is welded to the spindle but on the right side the 20mm part of the spindle doesn't come though the swingarm slot enough to go into the adjuster (well at least this was the case on mine) So you have the 17mm thread locating in a 20mm clearance hole in the adjuster. So when you push the wheel forward so the adjusters are against the pins in the swingarm your wheel is out of line.

I noticed this when I was putting ZXR wheels in DR recently, so I turned a top hat type sleeve for the adjuster with a 17mm clearance hole in it, and pressed it into the adjuster.

If you do this check that the new sleeve doesn't foul on the 20mm section of the spindle when tightening your wheel. You may need to chamfer the inside of the sleeve for clearance.

Edited by fullenglish

Yeah, if you go by the cam detents to align your rear wheel it likely isn't aligned. :busted: My 99 is off quite a bit... interestingly though the wife's 05 not so much.

If we can't trust the cam detents, what is a good way to check the alignment? What would be the symptoms of having the alignment off-I'm guessing uneven tire wire or handling issues??

If we can't trust the cam detents, what is a good way to check the alignment? What would be the symptoms of having the alignment off-I'm guessing uneven tire wire or handling issues??

Its not the detents on the cam adjusters, the problem is (was on my bike anyway)the spindle doesn't come through the swingarm enough and the cam adjuster which has a 20mm clearance hole in is locating on the thread of the spindle which is only 17mm, which might not seem that much of an issue but it was when I was fitting wider wheels in as I had chain/tyre clearance problems.

Take the wheel spindle nut off and see if the cam adjuster is on the thread or the 20mm section of the spindle. If its flapping about on the thread then the chances are your wheel will end up out of line. A good idea would be to turn a small locating section on the wheel spindle nut about 2mm in length to 20mm diameter so when you tightened the nut up it would true the spindle to the adjuster.

Thanks for clarifying-I checked mine and the cam adjuster was on the wider portion of the axle (spindle). It would definitely be loose if it was only on the threaded part.

Regardless of the slop in the adjuster... which obviously would be an issue, take a center to center measurement between the swing arm pivot bolt and the rear axle on each side. That will tell you if your detents are indeed are aligning your rear wheel. :busted:

Regardless of the slop in the adjuster... which obviously would be an issue, take a center to center measurement between the swing arm pivot bolt and the rear axle on each side. That will tell you if your detents are indeed aligning your rear wheel. :busted: