Sign in to follow this  

Gas Gas PV Adjustable?

Kicking around buying a 2011 GG Six Days 250. I rode a 300 a while back and was totally turned off by the flat and listless powerband. Gave up on the idea, heading towards KTM'ville, then by chance got a ride on a 250 GG. I found the 250 to have a nice blend of perky response, coupled with traction gaining slow revving power. I liked it a lot better. Is the powervalve adjustable like a KTM to alter the response, or is it just the 250 is a more responsive engine?

The answer is both...you can adjust the shims on the powervalve to make it come on harder, they also make larger power valve covers to add low end. But a bigger difference is removing the carb spacer on the reed block. My 07 GasGas300 while having tons of low end, comes on nearly as hard as my YZ250 did. By playing with jetting/needle, removing the spacer and also added a lighter flywheel(didnt make much difference). It comes on much harder than stock...Ive ridden KTM300's and my GasGas comes on much harder in the top end..but only because i tuned it that way. The 250 by nature will always be alittle more peaky than the 300. But I just like having the extra power of the 300, and You can tune it to how you want it. Like I said...i just made my 300 emulate my yz250 as much as i could...ended up with the same fun hit in the top end, with tons more low and mid range power to go along with it.

The GG motor can be anything you want. I have am MX ignition for mine but will never put it in as i don't want more hit than my 250 delivers now for the off road technical stuff i do. I rode a 08 GG 300 with a map switch and it was anything but mellow in the fast map. Don;t give up on the GG in 250 or 300, they can both be a handful if thats your gig.

BTW my 03 GG250 flat smokes my buddies 08 KTM250's it is not even close. They totally agree and are in shock. My bike does have all the LTR stuff and runs hard.

I've raced GasGas 250s for a couple of years, and really appreciated the power - quality and quantity. Then I had the opportunity to jump on a 300 ...

The 300 has more boost (as you'd expect) but is definitely mellower stock than the two-fiddy- the flat feel of the bigger bike is almost certainly a result of the jetting. You can make the 300 power as flat as Kansas and the throttle response is fantastic for slimy, cruddy stuff. Or, you can boost it up and make it run like a scalded ape with just a needle change.

For twelve dollars you get a second bike - what a deal!

Then, if you want to go further, you can play around with pv shims, pv covers, squish and the like. I showed Al (XR350) the 300 this weekend and he said it was stronger than his KTM300, and that was in the super-smooth mode.

You can make the 300 power as flat as Kansas and the throttle response is fantastic for slimy, cruddy stuff.

I have my 300 tuned this way. Others that ride it say it's boring. Well, I'm usually sitting at the top of the nasty, root infested, rocky hill taking a break when they show up on their overheating bikes ready to have a heart attack.

Auto clutch and trials tires help too. :busted:

On my 250 I set the squish at 1.5mm, jetted for crisp and preloaded the pv spring 1mm with 2k2. It has amazing throttle response and torque but you do need to hold it full on for a couple of seconds to get max hp which works for me as its very rare indeed that I need a full 50 horse. Its interesting how the exhaust note changes from subded to full on unleash the hounds of hell when the door finaly does swing wide open.It appears but I'm not positive that gg is running a lighter pv gov spring than the earlyier versions.This setup works very well for abrupt, long low traction uphills. I dont have to worry about it falling off the pipe because it never really gets on the pipe.Perfect setup for an old aggresive hack like myself.

Edited by widebear

On my 250 I set the squish at 1.5mm, jetted for crisp and preloaded the pv spring 1mm with 2k2. It has amazing throttle response and torque but you do need to hold it full on for a couple of seconds to get max hp which works for me as its very rare indeed that I need a full 50 horse. Its interesting how the exhaust note changes from subded to full on unleash the hounds of hell when the door finaly does swing wide open.It appears but I'm not positive that gg is running a lighter pv gov spring than the earlyier versions.This setup works very well for abrupt, long low traction uphills. I dont have to worry about it falling off the pipe because it never really gets on the pipe.Perfect setup for an old aggresive hack like myself.

55? Still wet behind the ears! :busted:

I find my GG climbs loose hills similar to a 4st. I like this. `

Just took my 2011 GG250 out of a shipping crate today. Super excited to ride it! Was riding a KTM300 before, I'll report back when I have a chance to ride it. :busted:

Congrats on your new GG! Look forward to the ride review; they are awesome bikes. Enjoy.

Hey George

you sure that 300 was jetted right? I played with mine until I put a stock yz 250 needle in it. Bike rocks now. Also if the ignition is in rain position it will tame the power down. It didn't give much up to my WE 300. I also have a fmf pipe and Leo Vince silencer on it. Your welcome to ride it anytime. Ask Jud, he rode it and loved it.

Hey George

you sure that 300 was jetted right? I played with mine until I put a stock yz 250 needle in it. Bike rocks now. Also if the ignition is in rain position it will tame the power down. It didn't give much up to my WE 300. I also have a fmf pipe and Leo Vince silencer on it. Also if you bump up rear sprocket to a 50 that will get it hitting! Your welcome to ride it anytime. Ask Jud, he rode it and loved it.

Hey George

you sure that 300 was jetted right? I played with mine until I put a stock yz 250 needle in it. Bike rocks now. Also if the ignition is in rain position it will tame the power down. It didn't give much up to my WE 300. I also have a fmf pipe and Leo Vince silencer on it. Also if you bump up rear sprocket to a 50 that will get it hitting! Your welcome to ride it anytime. Ask Jud, he rode it and loved it.

It seemed to run clean........otherwise I just had a quick spin on it. Had my WR250 out this weekend.......forgot how much fun that bike is!