Sign in to follow this  

Strange Starting Issues

My kawi is having some serious issues starting. It starts up fine about half the time when hot or cold. Here is the issue. When I kick it, sometimes there is no resistance like the motor is not building any compression. Everything on the kick start side is engaged properly and the motor is turing over, it just won't start. If it use the electric start in this case, it will fire right up. Most of the time when I go to use the electric start right away, the bike will not start either. It either drags down and kills the battery (usually about 10 cranks), or the one way gear behind the flywheel decides not to engage or to jam and drag in both directions. So in this case the bike won't start with the e-start but it will fire right up when I kick it. The bike hasn't left me unable to get it started yet.

Here is what I do know about the condition of the motor, jetting etc....

1. Compression is fine once it is running (haven't lost any power)

2. Valve tollerances are within spec

3. The auto compression release is working properly

4. The jetting is fine since it idles, runs, responds and starts (only sometimes) perfectly and I haven't messed with the jetting in months.

5. The spark plug is relatively new, in good shape and not loose.

6. AIS kit installed last April

Any ideas?

Has to be valves or rings....no resistance on kick = compression issue (leak). only other thing i can think is that the kick start gear is broken/stripped.

valves are perfect (I did the complete KW intake kit) and put new rings in it after 47 hrs since i had it apart anyway. If it was compression loss it would be more consistent and it would have to show some signs of loss of compression once it is running. The motor turns over, and smoothly, when it kicking it when there's no resistance.

valves are perfect (I did the complete KW intake kit) and put new rings in it after 47 hrs since i had it apart anyway. If it was compression loss it would be more consistent and it would have to show some signs of loss of compression once it is running. The motor turns over, and smoothly, when it kicking it when there's no resistance.

Only thing I think it could be is the automatic decompression mechanism or starting gear internally in case [hope not]- :busted: