Sign in to follow this  

Am I using all the available travel?

I had my 08CRF450X revalved and resprung for desert/trail riding and I really like it. However, at times I feel like Im still feeling too much at the bars and it could possibly be plusher without sacrificing bottoming resistance. My question is, can I put something on my forks and shock, like a rubber o-ring or girls ponytail holder thingy, to actually see how much travel Im really using? Maybe a zip-tie on the shock? Im looking for the easiest way to get something on there. Any tips and what to look for, thanks! :busted:

I use a Zip-Tie on my one fork leg , but the next time my forks are off i am putting a O-Ring on , the shock you have to be careful with , if you use something small like a O-Ring , it can get lodged in/under the seal if you bottom and then your shock will leak , a Zip-Tie is better for the shock just dont cut the end off so it will be harder for it to get lodged in the seal , it also makes it easier to slide the Zip-Tie back to the top when testing each time

Its impossible to indicate shock travel usage via a oring or something else because the the shockbody compresses the bumper at the end of the travel.

I've seen one guy who wanted to test it with a zip tie and this zip tie was pinched between the rod and the cap of the shock body:bonk:

On the forks you can use it without any problems. But of course use a thin one.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Its impossible to indicate shock travel usage via a oring or something else because the the shockbody compresses the bumper at the end of the travel.

I've seen one guy who wanted to test it with a zip tie and this zip tie was pinched between the rod and the cap of the shock body:bonk:

On the forks you can use it without any problems. But of course use a thin one.

So the shock is a no-no because it hits the bumper on the last part of travel? I guess Im more concerned with forks anyways...

Thanks for the replys guys!

So the shock is a no-no because it hits the bumper on the last part of travel? I guess Im more concerned with forks anyways...

Can always just slide your bumper up the rod and use that :busted:

yes it does!

and for the forks, on KYB forks there's a 7mm gap when the fork bottoms out, so enough room for a zip tie

the bottom of shock is underestimated is importand then the fork , the difference is you can feel easly the bottom of fork.if you have bottom shock the bike work bad!!!

Do you think it would work to draw a line down the fork tube with a marker, then ride for awhile and see how far down the line wears away to see how much travel your using?

take off the right fork leg and put in an o-ring without dissemblage you can put in , enlarge them a push down

Do you think it would work to draw a line down the fork tube with a marker, then ride for awhile and see how far down the line wears away to see how much travel your using?

Thats the new way right there! Thanks for the tip! :busted: