TM Designworks chain guide

My OEM chain guide on my kx450f has bit the dust. I was wondering if you guys recommend this one. I have heard they were pretty good. Are they worth the money? How long do they usually last?

I have about 30 hrs on my TM desighnworks slider and guide. They still look to be in great shape. They are well worth the money. The oem one lasted about 10 hours.

I've got the slide n glide kit on my '11 and won't run anything alse. The stock slider wore out in about 6 rides and the cheap Acerbis replacement in about 5 hours. I've got about a dozen rides on the TM and it shows virtually no wear. Get the TM and keep your chain adjusted properly and all is good.

My OEM chain guide on my kx450f has bit the dust. I was wondering if you guys recommend this one. I have heard they were pretty good. Are they worth the money? How long do they usually last?

I've never worn one out yet. The Swingarm rub strip lasts about 50 hours.

[/b]

I've never worn one out yet. The Swingarm rub strip lasts about 50 hours.

How do you have your chain slack setup? Per the manual?

I got over 40 hours out of my stock guide and had the original slider on it when I sold it. I just ride moto and not a lot of sand, so maybe that's why I get a lot out of the OEM one. The TM slider is very good though and would be what I would replace it with.

How do you have your chain slack setup? Per the manual?

It is set up the Full Arc method:

- put bike on stand

- using a bike tie-down, seat off, strap around the top of the subframe to the swingarm, and pull it up.

- pull up swingarm till it is at the longest arc: in a straight line with the CS and the swingarm axis, if possible

- tighten chain to provide 20mm of no-tension slack.

- remove tie-down

- measure chain slack with a tape measure, at a known and repeatable placement on the swingarm

- make a block of wood with a notch in it the represents that tension gap between the swingarm and the chain.

Now you have a template to duplicate the correct chain tension every time.

IMHO, any other method is just guessing.

I have them front and rear for 2 years now. My complaint is that the swingarm TM hardware screws suck and they are frickin noisy.

I wont buy a TM slider again. They cost about $150 in Aus and I got about 50 hrs out of it. If you ride in mud or damp sandy dirt, then it seems the TM slider wears just as quick as the stocker. Stocker I can order from motosport etc, for about $30 and I get 50 to 80 hrs out of em. No brainer decision for me.

Can anyone comment on how the Acerbis lasts in comparison to the T.M.?

img_0977_1_1_1.jpg

I recently searched forums and read many articles pertaining to this subject. The T.M.-D's seem to create a little more noise for awhile compared to the OEM guide due to the material they are made of and the OE's seem to wear a bit sooner. I believe it really boils down to chain maintenance and your typical riding habbit's and condition's that will determine how fast they get eaten. I personally did choose to go with the T.M.-D's "slide n glide kit" and give it a try though. It should arrive tomorrow.... :lol:

Edited by stumblinjack

The OEM chain guide sucks because it is a flimsy piece of aluminum with an inadequate amount of plastic material. You don't want a chain guide made of metal because as soon as you hit that thing with a rock or the like, it will bend and no longer function well as a "guide" and could derail your chain or cause more damage elsewhere. Any aftermarket full plastic chain guide will do. The BRP and TM Designworks chain guides are equally good.

It is set up the Full Arc method:

- put bike on stand

- using a bike tie-down, seat off, strap around the top of the subframe to the swingarm, and pull it up.

- pull up swingarm till it is at the longest arc: in a straight line with the CS and the swingarm axis, if possible

- tighten chain to provide 20mm of no-tension slack.

- remove tie-down

- measure chain slack with a tape measure, at a known and repeatable placement on the swingarm

- make a block of wood with a notch in it the represents that tension gap between the swingarm and the chain.

Now you have a template to duplicate the correct chain tension every time.

IMHO, any other method is just guessing.

Krannie, I always love reading your replies.

--

I believe I have read to allow about 2 inches of slack in the chain, but to be exact, Krannie hit i dead on, literally.

I have 135hrs of aggressive woods riding on my stock slider and guide. The reports of only getting a few rides out of the OEM sliders just baffle me. You guy's need to adjust the tension after every ride.

the stock chain slider on my 2012 was a joke..it lasted 3 hours and was worn through and getting into the swingarm, the acerbis replacement only lasted a couple hours more. (yes my chain was adjusted correctly). the tm part has about 20 hours on it and is lasting much better.

Sorry I am just now seeing this DK. I have been running the Acerbis on my 250F for about a year now and it works great, no issues. I have the TM on my 450F, they are both a LOT better than stock but the Acerbis is a lot less expensive.

Can anyone comment on how the Acerbis lasts in comparison to the T.M.?

img_0977_1_1_1.jpg

DSCF4725-L.jpg

I have 135hrs of aggressive woods riding on my stock slider and guide. The reports of only getting a few rides out of the OEM sliders just baffle me. You guy's need to adjust the tension after every ride.

Are you running a kx450? cause if so tell me your secret cause its not just adjusting your chain every ride.

Are you running a kx450? cause if so tell me your secret cause its not just adjusting your chain every ride.

Same.

As I said in my previous post, I'm getting over 40 hours out of mine. We have talked about chain tension, but how often do you guys lube your chain and with what kind of chain lube? I lube mine after every moto with either Bel Ray super clean or Maxima chain wax.