almost had my bike stolen today

im studying this semester in europe and i left my bike with my friend to look after for a few months till i come back to lebanon in january. i thought it would be safe just outside his door in a shared underground parking lot. i had it locked with two chain locks, locked the steering, and had an alarm. as my friend comes home earlier today he sees a guy riding it out of the garage then turns around and chases him while another guy runs, holding my chains... for some reason they thought it was important to take the chains too? my friend catches up to them and the guy on my bike falls over and runs away. my friend chased them on foot for a little while but gave up. here are the pics he took. they ripped off my headlight in order, apparently, to hot wire it. i just this second noticed the license plate is gone too... im so ****ing mad. but also reminding myself i should be thankful my friend got home just in time to stop this horrendous travesty. i wish i could get on a plane home and take care of this matter immediately, its so unsettling, so frustrating.

photo1ler.jpg

photo2au.jpg

Thank god for dumb luck buddy, thank god for good friends! Glad you recovered your bike. If you still need to use chain to lock it make sure to get HARDENED chain next time. And a Krytonite type lock. If some tries to use bolt cutters on hardened chain it'll snap the cutter blades! HA!

it really did come down to good luck, didnt it? i mean if my friend had been home 30 seconds later it woulda been gone for good. i dont know how im supposed to go back to sleep now, its like one of those things that really puts you in shock. but i have so may questions, i want to know what else they stripped off my bike, and how they removed the license plate cause the whole plastic thing connects to the tail light and that looks like it has been chopped off, ughhhhhhhh why did they have to do such a thing, i wish so bad i could find the guys who did it and kick their asses

There are good points leaving your bike hidden or with some restricted view, i tend to leave mine sometimes at a busy place where there are always people around, not sure which is right but lady luck was with you that night.

Im sure with a little TLS she will be back to her normal self.... thanks for the story

wow, glad to heard you recovered it. Here in the town where I live in Costa Rica you wanna be careful with it, I live in a small town in the country and still my bike is always in my department during the night, like 3feet away from my bed:busted: a guy I know got his bike removed from his living room as he was sleeping in his house, thief used towels to push the bike over them so the rubber wouldnt make noise on the floor.

a guy I know got his bike removed from his living room as he was sleeping in his house, thief used towels to push the bike over them so the rubber wouldnt make noise on the floor.

that's terrifying. when i go back home i was going to look for an apt on the ground floor to park my bike inside, but as you noted, whats to stop thieves from merely breaking in? i wonder if ill ever have piece of mind again...

wow talk about close.. I put a mini hidden switch that runs to the kill switch somewhere where most people wouldn't notice, and a disc brake lock on the rear disc.

I need some mean dogs now. with bees that shoot out of their mouths or something.

glad to hear you still have the bike. I always worry about that crap.

Sorta nice living in a ultra liberal location here. They hate motorcycles and wonder why the eff I'd want one. :busted:

It's nice being a caveman polluter 'round here.

tons of liberals that frucken love bikes here.. you should come ride with the nor cal cavemen :bonk::busted: