Sign in to follow this  

Pink Wire

I have heard that some folks are cutting the pink wire on their bikes just had a few questions?

What is the purpose of cutting the pink wire?

Where is it located?

Is it worth it, is this a common mod?

It changes the mapping to about 70% of what the R mapping (advance, dwell, spark, etc) is, and raises the rev limiter 500 rpm (which is closer to about 1000 rpm, due to the filter slope attenuation curve).

After doing every mod you can to the x i am thinking i should have just bought an 02 r motor and bolted it in. would have bean cheaper and a way bigger performance gain

I am still considering it. 02 r motor with a rekluse and trailtech stater is the way i am leaning now.

All other mods have been done, just wanted to look into this one

i didn't cut mine, no need you just pull off the left rear plate and pull the wiring harness out there is a 6 pin molex connector off of the CDI.

the system only uses 5 and there is a rubber plug in the 6th. If you use a small pick you can slide it into the wiring harnes and slide out the pink wire with the connector still on it.

swap it with the rubber plug and test ride it and see what you think. if you don't like it plug it back in:thumbsup:

I run the stock cam, my buddy has a wr450 and he removed the gray wire, I am assuming this does the same thing.

I have not searched this topic much but I'm curious if anyone has some how put a switch in the pink wire to toggle between?

There's no downside to the pink wire mod, so there's no reason to ever change it back.

I would dis-agree: higher revs = shorter valve and engine life.

If your not going to put the R cam in, open up the intake and exhaust, and rejet, it's not really worth it.

Jim.

I have not searched this topic much but I'm curious if anyone has some how put a switch in the pink wire to toggle between?

There have been quite a few posts about guys wiring in a switch. Personally, I don't think it's worth the time unless you modify the motor with an R cam.

Jim.

So I removed the wire in a manor I can put it back if I decide to. I really cant tell a whole lot of difference in the regular RPM range. The higher rev was noticeable immediately, which I didnt think it would be. Interesting none the less

So I removed the wire in a manor I can put it back if I decide to. I really cant tell a whole lot of difference in the regular RPM range. The higher rev was noticeable immediately, which I didnt think it would be. Interesting none the less

Which cam are you running?

R cam in the hotcam version. I know it is not exactly the same at the OEM Honda but it feels the same as my buddies X with the R cam with same carb with FMF full set up.