Sign in to follow this  

How much, What Kind, What Weight Fork Oil)

I have a CRF 250x and a CRF 450R.

I need to find out How Much, What Kind, What Weight of fork oil for both bikes. I currently need to change fork seals on the CRF 250X and will do the same on the R soon as well.

I currently have a full 16 oz bottle Maxima 10 Weight Type E fork oil. Will this work Manual says 5 W Pro Honda HP Fork Oil.

I'm getting both bikes ready to ride again as its been over a year 1/2 since Ive rode. Both bikes were resprung & valved for my weight of 215LB but now my current weight is about 230 LB

I figure for now I should just use the amount of oil that would have been used when the bike was resprung but maybe compensated a bit for my added fatness.

I use 5 wt fork oil and prefer the Maxima Fork RACING oil (Blue label). Honda HP5 works well too. 10 wt fork oil will work, but it will feel stiffer. As far as fork oil goes, I personally always use 375 cc. If it still bottoms, you can add more oil. Be sure to change your inner chamber fork oil also.

Clean your suspension components (i.e. spring, in the leg and fork tube, etc.). Sometimes dirt and stuff collects at the base of the fork leg. Brake cleaner works well for cleaning the components.

Fork seals: Use Honda OEM seals! Also get some seal grease (Race Tech and Pro Circuit both sell it) on the seals and contact surfaces. Make sure you install the inner oil seal correctly, as it is easy to put it in backwards.

Maxima 5 wt is a good all around fork oil. Thats what my tuner just put in my folks when he replaced the seals. From reading alot of post on here, everyone seems to like the Maxima 5 wt as well..

cause you are a little over weight for you bike valve i suggess you to use a maxima 7 fluid in the chamber, a little stiff then my prefer maxima 5.

on outer use the maxima 5 but you can use your 10w for improve bottoming.

i run 400 . you can start with 360cc

• Like 1

cause you are a little over weight for you bike valve i suggess you to use a maxima 7 fluid in the chamber, a little stiff then my prefer maxima 5.

on outer use the maxima 5 but you can use your 10w for improve bottoming.

i run 400 . you can start with 360cc

Wow, 400cc's....I can't remember, did u say u ride MX? What height did u say I should be running mine (HS & woods)? I'm going to drain some this weekend. A bunch of us are taking a riding trip to the Tennessee Mtns this weekend, so ill have some time with some of the guys at night to work on our bikes. Stock is 350? I need about 20cc less ayy??

Wow, 400cc's....I can't remember, did u say u ride MX? What height did u say I should be running mine (HS & woods)? I'm going to drain some this weekend. A bunch of us are taking a riding trip to the Tennessee Mtns this weekend, so ill have some time with some of the guys at night to work on our bikes. Stock is 350? I need about 20cc less ayy??

Where in GA are you from, and what part of TN are you riding in this weekend?

for wood hs you can lower the level, if you try 320cc you can put in other cc easy by the bleeding air hole.

the right level oil is the lower you can ride without bottoming!!there isnt a right standard level i ride 400 cc mx fast rider intermediate . i hate the bottom

Gotcha. I'm in kennesaw. I forgot the name of it, I didn't put the trip together. But I know its not to far off from chattanoga. I'll let you know in a little bit when I meet up with a few of the guys I'm car pooling with. There's about 20 of is going. We got 3 cabins and a few hotel rooms all together.

• Like 1