Hotcams auto de-compression

1: The advice to "remove it" is based on experience with the OEM auto decomp device. Never seen or heard of a failure on the DRZ Hot Cams one.

2: That pin is going to be hardened,… you’re not going to get much of a grip on it with something like vice grips.

3: Show a pic on the opposite side from the pin.. was it installed from the other side of the cam? Perhaps the hole then capped or plugged?

1: The advice to "remove it" is based on experience with the OEM auto decomp device. Never seen or heard of a failure on the DRZ Hot Cams one.

2: That pin is going to be hardened,… you’re not going to get much of a grip on it with something like vice grips.

3: Show a pic on the opposite side from the pin.. was it installed from the other side of the cam? Perhaps the hole then capped or plugged?

On the stock cam the pin came out on it's own after removing the auto decomps. I was not sure if the same failure appiled to Hotcams hence the specific post Hotcams auto decomps. It's is a harden steel, drill bits won't scratch, the same with chisels. After trying everthing I could think of an continuous trys with vice grips, battery pliers, channel locks, betting the pin from side to side and watching the spaks literally fly off as tiny fragments of the pin broke away. In the end I could not grab it any more, so I ground a screw drive slot in it & yes it did as I knew it would, it broke off almost flush with the cam, so as I now have a not so cheep paper weight I drimaled it just below the cam surface. O the pin was not instaaled from the opposite side.

DSC08655.jpg

DSC08654.jpg

E.Marquez, you have very informative & remarkalbe post that I have read, Thanks for all of them & your input.

To those with new hot cams, I would not recomed trying to remove the auto decomp, maybe when the cam is older and the pin has been beat to death, MAYBE.

New cam is on order & as E.Marquez stated he has not heard of any Hotcam failures I will not be removing the auto decomp.

E.Marquez thank you & keep up the good work.

Man that sucks but it is good to know, I just order a exhaust hotcam. I will leave the de comp on mine.

Your right that E.Marquez is on sharp dude.

Ya it sucks. Wish I would have waited E.Marquez input, I would have left the auto de comp on. I am not about to install the cam, sure enough the pin will come out then. Removing it a wast.? whats funny is that little voice was telling do take it off, but I did not leason.?

Did it wiggle at all? if not likely a press fit. Id bet easily pressed out couple of V blocks and a Hyd press.. truthfully, if you get the pin out, dress up the holes on both sides.. Id run that cam unless you marred it other places.

Sorry E.Marquez, those pictures are all I have left of the pin. The other side is sold cam, the pin dose not go though. Yes I wiggled the piss out of it, there is no movement. I say definitely pressed in, after all attemps to remove it I ended up with a nub, so I just ground it down just below the cam surface. It will probably not fall out, but I don't trust it.

Thanks for your response!?