Sign in to follow this  

Can This Cylinder be fixed ( photo's) U.S Chrome fail

2001 cr250 cracked between the main and right sub-exhaust port, it was fixed by US chrome less than a year ago ( welded and plated) I am going to contact them about their warranty. Can this just be welded and then bored/plated back or ......do I just need a new cylinder all together ?

cylendeycrack.jpg

cylender.jpg

kinda pissed because this should have been welded on both sides they charged me $50 to weld it, they only " tacked " the front of the crack in the cylinder

kinda pissed because this should have been welded on both sides they charged me $50 to weld it, they only " tacked " the front of the crack in the cylinder

You should have caught that on inspection before assembly. It's a bit difficult to address this a year later.

I've never used US Chrome but I have been pleased with the work done at Millenium Technologies.

You should have caught that on inspection before assembly. It's a bit difficult to address this a year later.

I've never used US Chrome but I have been pleased with the work done at Millenium Technologies.

they the crack was not nearly this bad before it was repaired, they welded it and now its is worse this only has 30 or so hours on it , i had Ken oconnor send it out as he was doing some other work for me, and even he inspected it and it was fine but now is much much worse ...

they the crack was not nearly this bad before it was repaired, they welded it and now its is worse this only has 30 or so hours on it , i had Ken oconnor send it out as he was doing some other work for me, and even he inspected it and it was fine but now is much much worse ...

Hmm.... It doesn't look too bad. I'd sent it to MT and see what they say.

sounds like it's time for a big bore cylinder

hmm 265? :busted: at this point i want the most reliable solution to this. Im done paying to get this thing fixed.. any thought?

Im going to try to warranty this though, there is no reason that should have happened after being fixed right the first time

Im going to try to warranty this though, there is no reason that should have happened after being fixed right the first time

Similar logic then says that the OEM cylinder never should of cracked in the first place. I think it is time to pony up and get a new barrel.

sounds like it's time for a big bore cylinder
hmm 265? :busted: at this point i want the most reliable solution to this. Im done paying to get this thing fixed.. any thought?

:lol:My first thought, send it to Eric Gorr and get you a CR295:thumbsup:

MAX!!!

Similar logic then says that the OEM cylinder never should of cracked in the first place. I think it is time to pony up and get a new barrel.

^this. Not to sound mean or anything but as cheap as you can buy a nice used cylinder for these bikes why didn't you go that route in the first place? I'm always weary of fractures like this and try if possible to replace it.

I have a friend with a 95 cr250 jug with cracks in the same places, 1 on each side of the exhaust. What causes this to happen and can it be fixed properly (welded) and be reliable?

thanks

The only way to fix a crack like that is to cut the complete cracked area out and fill it. The fill material must be very similar to the original casting to ensure the thermal properties are the same. That and you must have a very good welder doing the work. For the cost of a replacement barrel, well you be the judge.

And no, JB Weld will not do it..... :busted:

Sleeve will not resolve the crack. May actually make it worse.

No point in spening $200 now and $200 in six monrths when $300 will last two years.**

** Note, not actual amounts and times, just logic.

I bet M/T simply would not use that barrel as a core. Either they would not accept it or would throw it away due to the extent of the damage. Cost of doing business.

You can buy a brand new cylinder for $311.