Sign in to follow this  

kx 250 fork help

I am looking for some info on my forks. i just got a 2005 kx 250 and really like the bike except for the harsh suspension. I race A class and got it to cut down on engine rebuild cost but I cant seem to find ayone that seems confident in revalveing the forks/shock for my needs. I had fluids changed and and adjusted clickers but not even close to being able to compete with it. Does anyone have any suggestions maybe race tech gold valves? Maybe a shop familer with this bike suspension.

Thanks

Springs are right oil is fresh but this thing is very harsh on rough mx tracks. I have a kx 450 also and have rode bikes since I was 5 years old so I am familier with clickers and adjustments maybe something is wrong with them it was bad enough in my last moto that it ckacked a bone in my wrist. When I had the oil changed the guy said it all seemed good in the forks.

Todd,

you got the first KYB CC fork in your bike.

This fork has some problems which you have to deal with.

First of all you have to check if you forksprings are still stock or if someone already put longer ones in there/put spacers in.

This fork has negative preload stock, you dont want that.

And of course, like already said, you have to use the right spring too.

Secondly you have to check your ICS spring. I dont know the exact reason, but you also want a 7 mm spacer in there. Has something to do with oil level in the cart or stuff like that.

Yeah, and last but not least valving.

I dont know the stock valving, but my YZ got the same fork.

If the are similar, you really got a lot of freebleed there. Bleedhole, Bleedshime, pistonband with bleed, clicker:confused:

Seems a bit to much for me...

No need for GVs anyway. You have them valve correctly too.

Todd,

you got the first KYB CC fork in your bike.

This fork has some problems which you have to deal with.

First of all you have to check if you forksprings are still stock or if someone already put longer ones in there/put spacers in.

This fork has negative preload stock, you dont want that.

And of course, like already said, you have to use the right spring too.

Secondly you have to check your ICS spring. I dont know the exact reason, but you also want a 7 mm spacer in there. Has something to do with oil level in the cart or stuff like that.

Yeah, and last but not least valving.

I dont know the stock valving, but my YZ got the same fork.

If the are similar, you really got a lot of freebleed there. Bleedhole, Bleedshime, pistonband with bleed, clicker:confused:

Seems a bit to much for me...

No need for GVs anyway. You have them valve correctly too.

There is a difference between the 05 YZ KYB and the 05 KX KYB first year Twin forks. Different mid and base pistons, different floating piston and ICS spring.

Although there are issues with the fork, IMO you first need to address the shock ( lowering Link or internal) area to get the chassis balanced. The bike stink bugs to death. This will move the front tire contact patch more to the middle of the tire for better bite. Then only IMO you can start your assessment from there.

I race mx usually top 5 in my class speed isn't the problem. This suspension is terrible compared to my other bikes.

How much do you weigh and what class?

I race A class 165 weight. Bike is just super harsh on the rough tracks I think it was better before the fluids were changed. Haven,t had it long and Iusually run a stiff bike I am trying to find a good tuner that is familiar with the suspension on it . Most shops I talked to seen like they can,t do much for it . Thanks for the replys.

have you aligned the forks correctly?

have you aligned the forks correctly?

Yes check that!

Todd, try to be more detailed than "its harsh".

You said it hurt your wrist, was this from bottoming out?

Most feel the stock 05 forks are plush to the soft side in part brought on by its stink bug chassis stance, to much weight on the front end.

Kawasaki stiffened the fork valving in 06.