Another 350 MAP question

For real no one has a clue?

Looks like the KTM powerparts switch. If it has only two positions there is another map select dial with ten positions under the seat. On the handlebar you switch between standard and whatever is set under the seat. Search for "map switch" here and it should come up with which postion on the under-seat dial is soft and agressive.

Michael

The only thing the map switch does is advance/retard the ignition curve. While it does help it's nothing like getting the full FI mapping from KTM. Your dealer can download these changes into your bike in a couple of minutes and makes a BIG difference especially with the 2011 250/350sxf. However if you do get the mapping from your dealer DO NOT run that map switch. The mapping advances the ignition and the switch will stack it up to +4 and the results will not be good. Any questions pm me

thanks for the reply guys, I think im starting to understand. SO that under seat switch didnt come on the bike? and most ppl just buy that..? but i also have the additional handlebar switch which only selects between two maps...which are standard...and whichever is selected under the seat....right?

now the only thing im not tracking on is which is which under the seat? right now its on "3"....i take it that 1 and 2 are the other pre-programmed stock maps and then the other 7 are empty?

so which is 1 and which is 2?

thanks

The only thing the map switch does is advance/retard the ignition curve. While it does help it's nothing like getting the full FI mapping from KTM. Your dealer can download these changes into your bike in a couple of minutes and makes a BIG difference especially with the 2011 250/350sxf. However if you do get the mapping from your dealer DO NOT run that map switch. The mapping advances the ignition and the switch will stack it up to +4 and the results will not be good. Any questions pm me

The must have been the most uninformed/stupid post I've seen in a while :busted: First, the map switch will NOT damage anything! There is a safety measure built into the ECU that the values changed (fuel and ign) can not go beyond/below a certain value. There is a reference to this in the UST manual also. Second, the map switch on the 250F/350F EFI changes fuel maps - the available info is not clear if ign maps are also changed, but agressive/soft changes the fueling which can be clearly seen on an EGT analyzer. The ign-changes-rumor comes from the 2-stroke non-EFI side where the map switch (naturally) can only influence the ign. Third, the reference to some dealer changes is torn out of context - on the 2011 350SXF you can have your dealer install the 2012 maps which makes a nice difference. Map switch function is not influenced by this.

Michael

Mike thanks for the added info..i wont lie im totally new to FI

anyone know which numbers are which with the underseat switch?

0, 3-9 = standard

1 = soft

2 = aggressive

Michael

Thanks Mike

what is the under seat 10 position one called? is it worth having that many options? or just stick with simpler aggressive/mild switches. i would prob only want 2 selections at the bar with a kill switch combo. i dont know how many different options are available

what is the under seat 10 position one called? is it worth having that many options? or just stick with simpler aggressive/mild switches. i would prob only want 2 selections at the bar with a kill switch combo. i dont know how many different options are available

even with the 10 position switch, there are still only 3 options, stock wild and mild.

Mapswitch? - best 79$ i've spent:

https://sicassracing.com/store/switches/sicass_switches/2011-12_ktm_efi_mapping_switch?cPath=35_39

With a simple switch of the lever you can have it mild or wild (or standard). As mentioned in other threads already it's really like adding a aftermarket pipe to a 2-stroke. You get a torque setting, standard- or top-end setting all placed on the handlebar.

I really love to be able to change the way the motor runs according to track conditions - ON THE FLY !

Unless its super muddy I don't think Id ever go back to the stock map. I would like a switch with an mx start map and then switch to an aggressive map for the rest of the race.

I've really probed the dealer and they don't seem to know anything about downloading a map.. they told me I could get a new plug in chip that was more agressive.. This plug in was in Motocross actions article about the 2011 but no one seems to know where they got their part or part number.. I really want to step up this bike.. anyone know anything about this "chip"?

The must have been the most uninformed/stupid post I've seen in a while :bonk: First, the map switch will NOT damage anything! There is a safety measure built into the ECU that the values changed (fuel and ign) can not go beyond/below a certain value. There is a reference to this in the UST manual also. Second, the map switch on the 250F/350F EFI changes fuel maps - the available info is not clear if ign maps are also changed, but agressive/soft changes the fueling which can be clearly seen on an EGT analyzer. The ign-changes-rumor comes from the 2-stroke non-EFI side where the map switch (naturally) can only influence the ign. Third, the reference to some dealer changes is torn out of context - on the 2011 350SXF you can have your dealer install the 2012 maps which makes a nice difference. Map switch function is not influenced by this.

Michael

The dealer tool has much greater adjustment parameters than the UST. You can easily set parameters in such a way that the map switch could cause way too much ignition advance causing harm. The UST (supposedly) won't allow this. The map switch in fact changes ignition timing on both the 4T and 2T, carbed or FI.

I believe you should research the topic before you call other members "uninformed/stupid."

PS: Changes in ignition timing will in fact change EGT and fueling requirements. Basic engine 101.

Is this the cure-all for having the dealer make a fixed mapping change?

image.php?type=T&id=128

Is this the cure-all for having the dealer make a fixed mapping change?

image.php?type=T&id=128

This only maps the EFI.. The way these guys are getting a lot more power is by mapping both the EFI and The ignition timing together.

It's a bandaid solution.. you'd be buying this part and and getting the dealer to re-map the ignition.. waste of money.

Unless the description isn't correct.

You have to be careful when combining the UST with the map switch. If you program an aggressive advance curve with the UST, the aggressive position on the map switch adds ignition advance on top of that. So you could get to the point where you will get detonation if you switch to the aggressive map.

You have to be careful when combining the UST with the map switch. If you program an aggressive advance curve with the UST, the aggressive position on the map switch adds ignition advance on top of that. So you could get to the point where you will get detonation if you switch to the aggressive map.

For the I-don't-know-how-many-time - NO! Read the manual of the UST tool, the sum of mapping changes and map switch changes in combination is LIMITED to safe numbers. You cannot harm the engine with that!

The JD tuner is a cheap and easy way to get your fuel mapping correct with good support. The UST has a wealth of additional possibilities, including ignition mapping, but is for advanced users knowing what they want. Often more is not better ...

Michael

Ummm