Sign in to follow this  

xr650l help

t I have a little problem with my bike. (actually

it's not that bad it just bugs me)

I have a 2009 xr650l that is misting oil. It usually takes a few days of

heavy to moderate riding to notice the oil. It is a very thin film, its not dripping oil or anything.

Its kinda around the oil lines, but most is under the engine.

i have already pulled the oil lines and replaced the two o-rings. What else is there to check?

all bolts are tight and i replaced the orings. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey man..I have a 08 that I thought had the same problem..Its road grime or road film,,what ever you want to call it..I also have a 08 WR250X that gets this black film all around the engine..Dont sweat it..ride ride ride:thumbsup:

are you running synthetic? sometimes that will seep through gaskets

I'm trying not to get too worked up, its new to me, barely over 3,000 miles. but i'm pretty sure its oil. before I replaced the orings it left a mist between the oil lines and the wire grommet. now its just below the lines on the underside.

Are you sure it's engine oil and not something else?

From where you say the residue is(front and bottom of engine), it could be coming from something in front of the engine and spaying back onto it. I'd check to make sure it's not brake fluid leaking from the front caliper/brake line and then spraying back onto the engine.

Have you noticed the engine oil level going down any? Have you cleaned off the residue and then started the bike and let it idle while looking for a leak?

:busted:

Ahhh just ride it. Unless you see drips or oil running out dont worry about it, You'll drive yourself crazy. In fact drive it into a tree once or twice and you'll forget all about your misty oil...:busted:

I'm going on a trip this weekend(100+ miles) so Ill see what happens.

I have already cleaned it up, hopefull i can spot where its coming from.

One of the big advantages of leaving my bikes dirty is that I don't worry about stuff like that. :busted:

I recently realized that I haven't washed my XR650L in about three years and the KTM in more than a year. I really should clean them up, before getting them dirty again by riding them in the dirt. Maybe I could make that my Thanksgiving day project or something.

One of the big advantages of leaving my bikes dirty is that I don't worry about stuff like that. :busted:

I recently realized that I haven't washed my XR650L in about three years and the KTM in more than a year. I really should clean them up, before getting them dirty again by riding them in the dirt. Maybe I could make that my Thanksgiving day project or something.

Funny :busted:

you need to ride here in wisconsin one good ride here in spring and you won't be able to tell what color it is and the old xr will weigh an extra 100lbs....lol

I have a 2009 xr650l that is misting oil. It usually takes a few days of

heavy to moderate riding to notice the oil. It is a very thin film, its not dripping oil or anything.

Its kinda around the oil lines, but most is under the engine.

i have already pulled the oil lines and replaced the two o-rings. What else is there to check?

all bolts are tight and i replaced the orings. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you get a photo?

clean and dry area. start it up and let it idle on stand. Examine closely for any indication of seepage or wetness.

clean and dry area. start it up and let it idle on stand. Examine closely for any indication of seepage or wetness.

Then get a bag of depends and gently swaddle the case. Apply skid plate and your good...:lol:

just returned from my trip. 200+miles. It looks like the oil is coming from the right crankcase gasket. all the bolts are tight so I guess I'll just deal with it.

although it does seem odd that it weeps oil, its a 2009 with under 3,000 miles.