Ktm realiabilty should i drop the $ or go japanese

Im so scared with all these sxf 350 threads however i want the new 2012 sxf 450 i have not seen any thread with issues on them is it because less people have them or is it just a much more reliable motor? please help its an 9,000$ descion for me thanks guys.

Go orange. I went orange, switched to blue, thought it was great and then went back to orange and couldnt believe what I was missing. The KTM 450 engine is dead reliable, I think lots of reasons you dont see many 450s is because if the carb. I think they also put a lot of hype on the 350 so they made quite a few more then the 450.

I got rid of my 2011 350 for a 2011 450, and only because i wanted the 450 power band. The 450 motor is bulletproof, and highly reliable, so don't hesitate and pick one up and you will never regret going orange.

The RF4 motor is 6 years old and solid as a rock. It is the best 4 stroke engine KTM has ever built in my opinion. Love my 505. They had a few issues when they first came out but by 2009 those were all gone.

DO IT!

12450SXF_2.jpg

I could not of said it better myself.

I could not of said it better myself.

The RFS is pretty solid. Hard to beat it.

So my next point was to go 2012 or wait for 2013... per speculation the 13 will have efi and a new motor thats really where im scraed to jump in with all the issues the efi on the 350 is having. its going to be really ahrd come august when i decide to buy if i want to get the tried and tested 12 or go into the new crowd and get the efi "untested" motor.... im really most scared of getting the 13 450... although i really like the idea of efi's tunabity.... what to do? and one know anything about the reliablity of the 13 more there going to use and the efi?

RFS is arguably a better motor in terms of longevity, but it's old school thumpy in terms of power delivery. Personally, I prefer the smoother, more lively power delivery of the newer motors. My 08 450 has been perfect. :busted:

Rfs? Wats this

Rfs? Wats this

Racing Four Stroke.

So personally for you basically u wish it was efi?

The efi bikes have really been beat up on this forum. I've seen just about every one of the problems roll threw the shop so I know where guys are coming from. EFI to me is still sweet and I won't do a carb again. I took a 11 350 and made it my test bike for the year. I've been all through that motor and I gotta tell you from a mechanic stand point that motor is flat out wonderful. I'm not saying the 450 isn't though by any means. The quality ktm puts into there bikes is amazing. I've got 85 hours on the 350 and the valves are still in spec. This is even with running a high compression piston and head work. I know this sounds like I'm trying to push the 350 but I'm not. The 450 is a great bike too, but if your worried about spending 9,000. KTM has put out rebates for 2500 off left over 350s. My local PA dealer is pricing them out the door at 6000. That's a big difference in price. :busted:

Rfs? Wats this

ktm's main mx/offroad (250-613cc) engine from 2000-2006/7

ktm's main mx/offroad (250-613cc) engine from 2000-2006/7

And Beta through 2009.

FIRST PLACE -

KTM 450SXF

Number one! The best bike in the class. Obviously, the MXA wrecking crew wasn’t surprised that the 2011 KTM 450SXF won the 2011 MXA 450 Shootout. Why not? Because it handily won the selfsame shootout one year ago with a bike that wasn’t as good as the 2011 model.

Power: Every MXA test rider from Novice to Pro loved this engine. It is everything that every other engine wishes it were. It starts off with a metered and well-regulated low-to-mid thrust. Then, once in the midrange, it starts to pull harder and harder. By the time the KTM 450SXF engine gets into the top end, it is in hyper drive. It has a solid wall of power, and each section of the powerband is perfectly suited to the job at hand. It is an engine without fault. Oh, by the way, it is the only 450cc motocross bike with a carburetor.

Suspension: A lot of people are taking KTM seriously because they switched from a no-link to a rising-rate linkage suspension system for 2011. Whatever floats your boat. The overall feel of the 2011 450SXF suspension isn’t all that different from the no-link 2010 setup. It was good in 2010 and it is good in 2011.

Handling: The MXA wrecking crew used to dread the long, tall and bulky KTM 450SXF’s handling. It suffered from understeer and hit inside lines only by accident. No more. The 2011 KTM 450SXF has incredible handling. It is the only totally neutral chassis on the track. It doesn’t oversteer or understeer; it goes where you point it.

The word: Think about it for a second (without your anti-KTM tin foil hat on). This bike has the broadest and easiest to use powerband. This bike has the best clutch. The KTM brakes are vastly superior to anything on the KX-F, CRF, RM-Z or YZ-F. The 450SXF has superb all-around handling. In a cookie cutter world, the KTM is the most creative design. It weighs less than the Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki—but still manages to come with electric starting. You can change the air filter without using any tools. The KTM 450SXF has no equal in 2011. It doesn’t just win the 2011 MXA 450 shootout—it blows the competition off the track.

- FIFTH PLACE -

KTM 350SXF

Number five! You may well wonder how the KTM 450SXF could win the 2011 MXA 450 Shootout, while the virtually identical KTM 350SXF languishes in fifth place. Wonder no more! Plain and simple, the 350SXF isn’t as good as the 450SXF. The idea of a mid-size, 350cc, four-stroke motocross bike may look good on paper, but it is really just a niche motorcycle that only appeals to riders who think that 450s are too fast and 250s are too slow. That isn’t as big a group as former AMA head Steve Whitelock, Grand Prix entrepreneur Giuseppe Luongo and KTM’s Stefan Everts think it is.

There are three major issues facing the KTM 350SXF: (1) The 100cc disadvantage adds up to a 10 horsepower deficit to a 450cc bike in the meat of the powerband. (2) A 450cc engine makes its peak horsepower at 8000 rpm, while the KTM 350SXF hits its peak at 12,200 rpm. That extra 4000 rpm increases the wear and tear on the little engine—shortening its life span (especially compared to a 450). (3) The original idea of the KTM 350SXF was to build a bike with the light weight and handling of a 250, and the power and torque of a 450. That didn’t happen (as the 350SXF only weighs five pounds less than the 450SXF).

Power: The 350SXF isn’t tuned the way we would like it. It is basically a slow 450 until 9000 and then a powerful 250 from 9000 to 12,200. We expected something closer to the original, broad 1998 YZ400 powerband.

Suspension: If it had come with the forks and shock from the 450SXF, it would have been better. As is, it is too soft.

Handling: Very, very good.

The word: No need to polish the apple; the 2011 KTM 350SXF is basically a 450 motocross bike with a slow engine in it. If that appeals to you, go for it.

ya idk if i would even want an efi engine tho. the 2012 engine is so proven and hes been around and alll the bugs are worked out its a really ahrd descion.

Go for 450. I have a sxf 450 2011 and I love it. The powerband is strong but usable and you don t need to do anything to make it work. It is easy to go fast on this beauty. I tried a friends 350 Cairoly replica (beautiful machine) and I didn t like it that much because it acted as 250 2t. Nothing on the bottom(like 250), than big hit and you are on 450.

The efi bikes have really been beat up on this forum. I've seen just about every one of the problems roll threw the shop so I know where guys are coming from. EFI to me is still sweet and I won't do a carb again. I took a 11 350 and made it my test bike for the year. I've been all through that motor and I gotta tell you from a mechanic stand point that motor is flat out wonderful. I'm not saying the 450 isn't though by any means. The quality ktm puts into there bikes is amazing. I've got 85 hours on the 350 and the valves are still in spec. This is even with running a high compression piston and head work. I know this sounds like I'm trying to push the 350 but I'm not. The 450 is a great bike too, but if your worried about spending 9,000. KTM has put out rebates for 2500 off left over 350s. My local PA dealer is pricing them out the door at 6000. That's a big difference in price. :busted:

so what is the hot set up for the 350? I would like to get more torque/grunt down low. Did you try the 400 kit?

I specifically bought an old bike so I could have the RFS motor. It’s a proven motor with the temperament that I wanted for woods riding. And NO shim and bucket valveing.