coating my rims black

hey guys, looking for a little project over winter and ive decided that i wanted to paint my rims black. Im wondering what method is best, and most durable that can stand up to mud, washings, wont chip or anything. i dont want to send it in really. So im wondering what the best method is? and lastly, would i have to remove the spokes? i dont yet know if i will be painting them yet. thanks in advance

don't know what would be the best thing to use, but whatever you choose to do, remove the spokes for sure!

Powder coat or anodizing is about the only thing that's going to hold up long on a rim.

it's not the toughest, but it's the cheapest and easiest to repair the scratches...Marks-a-Lot marker.

Unless I have equipment and know what ur done you are gonna wana send em out. Since your asking on here and

also wanting to leave spokes on we can agree you don't know what you're doing.

they need disassembled and then powdercoated. Then relaced and trued. That all costs $ and isn't generally a dyi endeavor.

Get some blue painters tape and cover all of the spoke nipples then sand down rim with 60 grit and clean rim with alcohol .... Brush on some DuraLiner truck bed coating... I would atleast take the tires off....

Just my opinion... If you dont want to take out the spokes, I (me, myself) will rather put grease on the nipples. You can get the line of contact closer and paint on grease just wipes of.... MY OPINION THAT COUNTS = TAKE OUT THE SPOKES AND PoWdErCoAt

If you dont do it right, they will look like crap first time out. Powdercoat is the only way to do it, and the spokes will have to be removed like stated above.

Or just buy black rims and lace your spokes and hubs back in. The rim it's self isn't that much. If you paint your own rims they will likely not turn out well and look like crap in short order. Your stock silver rims probally look better than (home) painted rims after a few days of riding. I personally wouldn't do them myself but if you do let us know how it works out for you. Good Luck.

i left my wheel intact and had them powdercoated. looks awesome.

however now i have a loose spoke that is being a pain to tighten.

lesson?

remove the spokes!!!

Buy new black rims and sell your silver rims on eBay. Cheapest, easiest way to get black rims that actually look good and last.

Learn to lace wheels yourself. It's quite time consuming, but not that hard. You have the whole winter to do it anyways.

Please don't paint your rims! :busted: lol

because you will do this :busted: after one ride!

You can buy the DNA or G force richter wheels for around $500 and could probably recover half that by selling your silver wheels. Too late now I guess though since you went and powedercoated your wheels with spokes still installed, lol!!

Or just buy black rims and lace your spokes and hubs back in. The rim it's self isn't that much. If you paint your own rims they will likely not turn out well and look like crap in short order. Your stock silver rims probally look better than (home) painted rims after a few days of riding. I personally wouldn't do them myself but if you do let us know how it works out for you. Good Luck.

I agree.

Buy new black rims and sell your silver rims on eBay.
Yep.

Lacing/truing a rim isn't hard, just time consuming.

I put the Moose Racing rims on my KTM about two years ago and they've held up really well.

I took my son's apart and had everything powdercoated, rims, hubs, spokes and spoke nipples. First time taking apart a rim, first time lacing. It isn't hard, just take your time and there are plenty of pictorials out there. Here are mine:

DSCN2490.jpg

DSCN2489.jpg

Jim

That, sir, is quite sexy. Yes.

That, sir, is quite sexy. Yes.

+1 :busted:

I took my son's apart and had everything powdercoated, rims, hubs, spokes and spoke nipples. First time taking apart a rim, first time lacing. It isn't hard, just take your time and there are plenty of pictorials out there. Here are mine:

DSCN2490.jpg

DSCN2489.jpg

Jim

nice rim! i was thinking of just getting black rims, was my first suggestion, how much do you think my stock rim will go for? no dings or scratches on it at all, jsut a rouch estimate