Anyone Remember Ed Hertfelder?

The thread about making your own skid plate reminded me of one of his Duct Tape columns that used to be in Cycle magazine. I know after Cycle went out of business, his column appeared in a couple of other magazines. Anyway, for those of you who never read any of his stuff, it was some of the best comical writing about dirt bikes and riding enduros that you'll ever read. I found some samples of his columns when searching the net; enjoy.

http://www.nhmotox.com/pdf/comedy/comedy.htm

I remember that guy, loved his columns. Wish he would put all of his stuff in a book. Like patrick Mcmanus.

I remember that guy, loved his columns. Wish he would put all of his stuff in a book. Like patrick Mcmanus.

While digging around, I found a couple books of his columns on Amazon. They are both used autographed issues; one is asking $200 and another is asking $225. As much as I liked his columns, they just aren't worth that kind of money to me. :busted:

Always loved his articles. Live in the same neck of the woods. Thanks for posting.:busted::thumbsup:

I recently re-read "The Truth About Enduro Riding" In a late 60's/early 70's magazine that I bought off a news stand new. Funny, funny stuff!:busted::busted:

Another real good book is Monkey Butt by Rick Seimen, creator and long time former editor of Dirt Bike Magazine. It has the complete history of Dirt Bike, how it came to being, and how it progressed. It is also loaded with reprints of his In The Saddle articles. Excellent reading and a great history lesson.

I remember those articles--very funny!

Ed Hertfelder's articles are still printed every month in Trail Rider magazine. Met him once on a dual sport ride in NJ years ago. Really nice guy.

Yes, great guy!!

Hertfelder was/is great with stories that only a few of us can remember and actually experienced. You know, back when bikes were bikes and men were men!

Yeah he wrote articles for dirtrider magazine back in the day and had a dual sport newsletter.He was out of southern NJ and was hilarious and comical in his writing style.Haddonfield NJ

He had several books of which I own. There was "The Duct Tapes" and "Duct Tapes 80" . I thing there was a third but can't be sure. They fetch a pretty price nowdays. I see one on Amazon for $225!

Ed Hertfelder's articles are still printed every month in Trail Rider magazine. Met him once on a dual sport ride in NJ years ago. Really nice guy.

Rick Seimen also has atricles in "Trailrider" it's a great magazine if your into

woods riding! :smirk:

Anyone ever read "Travels With Roscoe"? Pretty funny....

Ed hung out at my pit last December.  He had everyone laughing and having a great time.  When I had registered to race, they made me put a letter "P" next to my number.  It seemed as the number 12 was already taken.  I rushed back to my bike and was searching for some tape to make a letter P with.  One friend gave me some electrical tape to use.  Ed saw that and reached into his car and pulled out a roll of duct tape.   I thought is was funny as hell, since his column was called the "Duck tapes"

Edited by Greenstreak-750