Sign in to follow this  

light weight ppl big bikes

hey guys

im just curious

how do you find weighing around 75kg on 250 2t's and bigger bikes

im 75kg and ridieng a cr250 and a yz490

i find my self geting alot of wheel spin and haveing to sit back alot witch takes some balls at times as we all know when they finaly bite up comes that friendly front wheel

reason im bringing this up is because im trying to progress my rideing skills

and im finding my self geting to much wheel spin

and ive decided ive got 2 choice's

ether get the weight on ( witch im trying to do ) just taking a long time i have a really high motabalization

the other option i have witch is why i am here is to get some tips and tecnique to improve my rideing and get that power down

the lighter the better. Get a flywheel weight

This will help alot. :busted: So does big nads... :bonk:

What terrain do you ride?

A good trials tire and lower psi might might work very well.

Changing the gearing change might help also. Your light weight might work better with a 1 tooth larger count shaft sprocket. More top speed too. :lol:

A slower ratio throttle might help your throttle control because you'll need to turn it further to hit WOT.

:busted:

just bought a 14 tooth front sproc and a 50 rear

i find the throttle is good as it is , its not to sensitive

just cant get the rear to hook up

flywheel weight would be my last investment

im thinking of geting a nice soft compound nobbie rear tyre

am i able to go a bigger tyre on the rear ? thinking this could help alot

not sure about the flywheel weight thou , would it affect jumping the bike ? , or give less of a band hit

not sure about the flywheel weight thou , would it affect jumping the bike ? , or give less of a band hit

A bigger rear tire is not going to do much if anything at all compared to changing the sprocket ratio. A flywheel weight just reduces the initial torque. You still have the same horsepower. If anything you hit jumps better because of the traction.

I would say get a g2 cammed throttle system, keeping the bike revving lower should help keep traction. also what is your suspension set up for? if it is not valved right for your weight rider you will never get traction. along those lines have you set the sag right?

75kg is 165lbs, your not that light. What you need to do is learn throttle and clutch control. The springs in your suspension will be good for your weight but depending on your disipline of riding, you might need a revalve. All the above solutions might help in one way or another but they have their negitive effects also. Just practice throttle and clutch control, try dragging the rear brake also, it will slow down wheel spin.

just bought a 14 tooth front sproc and a 50 rear

i find the throttle is good as it is , its not to sensitive

just cant get the rear to hook up

flywheel weight would be my last investment

The flywheel will help traction and control wheel spin. It would be at the top of my list.

A trials tire hooks incredibly well on trails. They have taken me places knobbies can't. They're are skinny and grip like crazy at most of the places areas I ride. Don't let their looks fool you.

A good deep tread depth tire the same size you have would help also. Wider works better for fat guys like me... :busted:

:busted:

165 lbs...? What do you mean light, your average. Do you realize dirtbikes spin tires constantly even when riden correctly.

165 lbs...? What do you mean light, your average. Do you realize dirtbikes spin tires constantly even when riden correctly.

i relise this but they dont spin to the point a 94 stock yz125

keeps up with a 98 cr250 5 hours after rebuild in a straight line

side by side only get the pull on him in 5th

so there has to be something im not doing right or theres a problem ,

if thats the case i might as well go back to my 125 as the 250 is as slow as a 125

by rights and horsepower and torque i should be absolutly blowing straight past him

i relise this but they dont spin to the point a 94 stock yz125

keeps up with a 98 cr250 5 hours after rebuild in a straight line

side by side only get the pull on him in 5th

so there has to be something im not doing right or theres a problem ,

if thats the case i might as well go back to my 125 as the 250 is as slow as a 125

by rights and horsepower and torque i should be absolutly blowing straight past him

Your just a inexperienced rider. And its a straight line race, big deal. Just learn throttle and clutch control, thats what your not doing right!

yea what he said... i'm 145 and my beasty ttr250 gets wheel spin all fourhundredish pounds of us! you have traction controll it's called clutch!

if you got traction all the time dirt riding would suck... then you couldn't blind the guys behind you with roost!

Edited by yammablue22

Here's a perfect example of throttle and clutch control: A while back in the Moto de Nations Ryan Villapoto was able to holeshot the entire line of the best riders in the world....both the MX1 and MX2 were on the line (250f and 450f). This is with Ryan on a 250f against factory 450's!

As you can see having lots more horsepower doesn't equate to winning starts if you can't get it hooked to the ground. Remember too that Ricky Carmichael would almost always get the Holeshot and he was by far the smallest and lightest guy on the line! He always stressed that he never whacked the throttle or dropped the clutch...if you look at race photos he always has his middle finger on the clutch ready to control wheelspin whenever the the motor exceeds the capability of the tire!

As others have already pointed out THIS is what you need to master, and the more you put into it the quicker you'll become. BTW all of these techniques directly transfer over to offroad riding and racing! ENJOY the journey!!!!! :lol:

I weigh 120 and and I ride an assortment of bikes, Only has 450f pulled an unexpected wheelie, but mostly its in the body positioning, throttle, and setup of your bike. I recommend you mess around with throttle, body and line positioning. this is where the real speed is.