Sign in to follow this  

KLX 250SF offroad mods???

Hi All: I am looking into a klx 250. My question is, can a 250sf model be made to be like the 250s or are there other things on the SF that would not be easily changed. Tires and rims are the easy changes. Anyone out there ever change one over. What are the differences between the two? The reason I ask is that I have noticed that a lot of dealers are selling the 250SF model cheaper than the 250s.

To make things easy - if you like the S model, buy that one. There are suspension differences between the two.

If your going to do more street riding than dirt you can go with the sf and buy some dirt/street tires to support your off road needs. Take a look at the avon distanzias.

If your going to do more street riding than dirt you can go with the sf and buy some dirt/street tires to support your off road needs. Take a look at the avon distanzias.

I'm running a 4.60 shinko 244 front and a 130/80 shinko 705 rear on my klx250sf with the 17" supermoto rims. If you change to a tire setup like this and do nothing else, you will end up with a bike that is likely worse on the road and certainly worse off-road than the S model.

The problem off-road is obvious -- the dual 17's will always be a big compromise in the dirt (there's a reason off-road oriented bikes have skinny 21/18 respective front/rear wheels).

The problem on-road is simply due to the fat front tire you will have to settle for to fit the wide front rim (you'll have to go at least 120mm / 4.60in to get the right fit). This will give the bike a very slow turn-in compared to stock. Fortunately, you can speed up the steering right back to the way it was with the 110mm street front tire by lowering the front suspension clamp (or "raising the forks in the triple clamp," depending on your frame of reference), which is VERY easy. For me, a 6mm change was about perfect.

I feel that after changing where the fork clamps, my bike now handles very nearly just as well on-road as it did with the street tires (which I can only assume is still at least marginally better than the S model), and is certainly ride-able off-road due to the dirt tires, but I wouldn't assume it holds a candle off-road to a bike with an actual off-road wheel and suspension setup.

Conclusion: I really wouldn't count on the SF to do off-road unless you're really just dabbling in it with low expectations. If that's the case, though, and it saves you a significant amount of money to go with the SF, then by all means. . . I'm happy with it anyway. . . But like I say, low expectations off-road . . .