Sign in to follow this  

kx100 or go bigger?

I've been looking for a bike lately that I can just play around on. I'm 6'1 and hefty at about 240ish. Like I mentioned I am just looking for something two stroke to play around on for now. My riding experience is minimal, however I don't have any problems with the clutch or changing gears, all pretty simple. The terrain I will be riding is dirt roads/wide and fairly smooth trails. This will be my first bike, but I am not Ignorant. The reason I want a kx100 in particular is because they are light weight (I will be doing a lot of transporting here) and the size is overall smaller than a larger class bike. I know I should probably opt for a 250, but like I already mentioned, they just seem way to large, and I am pretty sure I will be happy with the power of the kx100. All in all I'm just looking for a bike that I can ride semi aggressive, but get a good crack of the throttle every once and a while. If anyone has had experiece (riding kids/wife's kx100), please I would like to have your input.

I've been looking for a bike lately that I can just play around on. I'm 6'1 and hefty at about 240ish. Like I mentioned I am just looking for something two stroke to play around on for now. My riding experience is minimal, however I don't have any problems with the clutch or changing gears, all pretty simple. The terrain I will be riding is dirt roads/wide and fairly smooth trails. This will be my first bike, but I am not Ignorant. The reason I want a kx100 in particular is because they are light weight (I will be doing a lot of transporting here) and the size is overall smaller than a larger class bike. I know I should probably opt for a 250, but like I already mentioned, they just seem way to large, and I am pretty sure I will be happy with the power of the kx100. All in all I'm just looking for a bike that I can ride semi aggressive, but get a good crack of the throttle every once and a while. If anyone has had experiece (riding kids/wife's kx100), please I would like to have your input.

I am literally the same size as you, and believe me when I say this. DON'T DO IT. After riding on my yz250, I get on my buddies girly klx125 and I damn near drop over in laughter. It's WAY to small, I'm always bottoming out. And I'm pretty sure with the right gearing I could have my John Deere lawnmower beat it in a race.:busted: If anything, get a 125 2 stroke. It's small, but not tiny. Even though you may be a bigger guy like myself, I'm sure there will be plenty of power to rip around on.:busted:

uh, i would think you need to be on a cr500. i weigh 165 soaking wet after a heavy meal and i feel like i keep a 125 bogged down. go bigger. MUCH bigger.

ok, i see the first bike thing. do not get a cr500 lol. for a starter bike i'll always recommend a trail oriented 4-stroke. they're dead nuts reliable and easy to ride. the kx100 was built for kids, but then again so will the trail oriented 4 stroke. the kx100 just doesn't make the best learners tool. i wouldn't even bother with a 125 because at your weight if you even want to keep up you're going to have to have that motor going constantly, which means lots of rebuilds. after graduating from a mild mannered bike i'd look into a 250 or a 450 at the bare minimum.

^Homie doesn't know how to ride a two stroke, and the homie before that is comparing a kx 2 stroke to a klx 4 stroke...

I'm 6'4'' 225lb and I have a kx100 for my girlfriend. Every now and then I'll hop on it and take it around a GP track and it carries me easily if you stay on the pipe and don't let it drop in engine speed (rpm). It is too soft for anyone our size, it's a very fun little bike and has power to pull anyone, but if you want to be comfortable (and not look like a monkey humping a football) I suggest something bigger. I have a cr125 that's a ton of fun (and they're cheap) when I'm not in the mood for a 450.

uh, i would think you need to be on a cr500. i weigh 165 soaking wet after a heavy meal and i feel like i keep a 125 bogged down. go bigger. MUCH bigger.

ok, i see the first bike thing. do not get a cr500 lol. for a starter bike i'll always recommend a trail oriented 4-stroke. they're dead nuts reliable and easy to ride. the kx100 was built for kids, but then again so will the trail oriented 4 stroke. the kx100 just doesn't make the best learners tool. i wouldn't even bother with a 125 because at your weight if you even want to keep up you're going to have to have that motor going constantly, which means lots of rebuilds. after graduating from a mild mannered bike i'd look into a 250 or a 450 at the bare minimum.

He isn't out to win any races here, he just wants to do some open trail riding. I don't think worring about "keeping up" is on his top priorities considering his first thought was to get a kx100...... Plus he wants to ride a 2t. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to get a summer out of a 2 stroke w/o rebuilding. To the OP, possibly even a kx200 or 220. I heard great reviews on both.

Ridley: I wasn't really comparing powerwise. More of size wise. Either way, both are way to small and cramped.

^Homie doesn't know how to ride a two stroke, and the homie before that is comparing a kx 2 stroke to a klx 4 stroke....

oh no, i know how to ride a 2-stroke. the op just won't be satisfied on a small bike in the future i feel. i mean he says he weighs 240 pounds. that's easily 100 pounds heavier than your average 125 rider, which tends to be small young men. i feel like his weight has already graduated him up to a 250/450, but the inexperience has not. a kx100 would move you around, no doubt. i would never want to hand a bike like that to a beginner though. the one i rode was wayyyy to pipey for a learner. the suspension on it was also wayyy too soft and i only weigh 160lbs.

edit: kdx for sure!

oh no, i know how to ride a 2-stroke. the op just won't be satisfied on a small bike in the future i feel. i mean he says he weighs 240 pounds. that's easily 100 pounds heavier than your average 125 rider, which tends to be small young men. i feel like his weight has already graduated him up to a 250/450, but the inexperience has not. a kx100 would move you around, no doubt. i would never want to hand a bike like that to a beginner though. the one i rode was wayyyy to pipey for a learner. the suspension on it was also wayyy too soft and i only weigh 160lbs.

edit: kdx for sure!

I say kdx200/220 ftw!:busted:

I mean I agree with what yall are saying, However I sometimes ride a big bore xr50, and even though its way to small, I still have a blast on it. I know it small and much less power, but keep in mind, I am just looking for something to hit the trails with. If you think about it, average size people ride 49cc mopeds after all. I agree with the opinions, but all in all I am looking for a play bike, not a properly sized bike. As of right now I'm dropping weight pretty quickly, so in 4-5 months i should be about 190-210 (hopefully). If I do get it to more aggressive riding, then of course I will pick up a bigger bike, but for now, I want a backyard toy. What about a ktm 105 or is there any other bike of similar size, but not full size?

do you literally mean back yard, as in your own yard? a mx bike is going to completely rip it up in no time. just in case if you care about your lawn, fyi.

the only experience i had riding a kx100 showed to me the bike had the powerband characteristics of an 80cc, but had power similar to a 125cc. basically a hi-po 80cc. i ride a yz400f and i found the powerband hit of the kx100 to be pretty rough to a rider who doesn't know what's coming. when you did get on the pipe the bike wanted to either run through all the gears quickly or wheelie you off the back. it was a pain to ride on the tight trail i was on at the time, but it would make a fantastic ripping mx bike for a young kid.

I think I kinda understand what you're after. You want a toy to toss around and have fun on, not drop alot of dough on it (like a BBR 125L would be or something) would be a stroke, and you could litterally pick up and throw in the back of the family mini van with one hand. I think the little KX would make pretty good sense. Ditto the RM100 (later models were the same bike, just yellow), and if you wanted to go old skool, there's the YZ100 ('76-83) too.

SDC12874.jpg

Well not in my backyard, but the woods around it. The powerband shouldnt be too much of a worry because they have the power valve. I would actually want something with an agressive powerband, I rode a cr85 and the powerband was great.

You are way to big for that bike. You will hurt the bike and yourself. Look at a KDX 200/220. Or KTM 2 stroke. I am 6'0 205 and I tried to ride my son's KX 85 big wheel and I cant even turn properly on it. Dont waste your time.

Well not in my backyard, but the woods around it. The powerband shouldnt be too much of a worry because they have the power valve. I would actually want something with an agressive powerband, I rode a cr85 and the powerband was great.

The wheelbase on that bike is short... because it's a little kid's bike. With an adult on board they flip over easily; powervalve or not they hit pretty hard. Plus the seating and bars are cramped for me and I'm only 5' 9", I can't even imagine a tall adult on one comfortably.

Since you are asking for advice, listen to the majority here. The KDX is a real bike and can be had for peanuts. Still 2 stoke/reliable and simple but sized for an adult and very beginner friendly.

Going to start looking for a 125 or a 250. All I know is I want a bike with wicked powerband.

I'm 15 5'5 and 118lbs and I have a kx100 a 09 I had to get stiffer fork springs and keep bottoming my rear suspension all the time I ride very aggressive but am very light the kx100 feels small on me you would need all around stiffer suspension and some very tall bars to be comfortable but the bike has plenty of power mines all stock and I'm satisfied with the pull the powerband is great and it has good bottom end for a small bore two stroke but it try's to flip me of with how small I am I would say a yz125 would be good for you they are taller than most 125s and are good reliable bikes and parts are everyware I have one and it is plenty fast for me for now anyways but you may want to move up to a bigger bike fairly quickly

Im almost 200 pounds and own a 450 but its alot of fun for me to get on a 125. There just so light. The 125 would haul you around fine and would be alot of fun and you would own it. Ive also been on a 100 2t and it felt pretty cramped. Your sitting on the back wheel and its really unstable. Id say get whatever you feel like though.