Sign in to follow this  

front sprocket

I seem to wear the front sprocket very quickly. I when i start to see it wearing i change it to save the chain and rear sprocket, but go through 3 fronts to a rear and chain. I swap it when it starts to looked cuped on the face of the tooth. i am using gearing 13-49 with a did vt chain

is this normal?

I seem to wear the front sprocket very quickly. I when i start to see it wearing i change it to save the chain and rear sprocket, but go through 3 fronts to a rear and chain. I swap it when it starts to looked cuped on the face of the tooth. i am using gearing 13-49 with a did vt chain

is this normal?

If you are on the gas heavy most of the time, especially in low rpms, then yes.

If you chain is not stretching, then it's not a chain over-tensioned issue.

could it be a chain too loose issue?

Absolutely! Use the arc method for checking the proper tension.

The most common reason is a worn out chain. If you can pull you chain away from the teeth on your sprocket, and see daylight, your chain is past worn out.

If your chain is not too loose or too tight, it's still typical for the front to wear faster than the rear assuming they are made from similar metals. Every time your rear sprocket makes 1 revolution, your front sprocket has made 3.77 revolutions, so it's taking that much more friction and stress than the rear is.

Mine is the same. I just bought a front to replace and the rear is still in great shape.

Mine is the same. I just bought a front to replace and the rear is still in great shape.

Same here... I noted that mine was significantly worn I changed to a 14 t CS.

The chain and rear are in remarkable (OEM) condition.