08 450X- is the front suspension supposed to be this harsh?

First of all I don't have the funds to get it revalved or changed right now so I have been playing with the adjustments.

Front forks only.

I'm talking road riding only, majority of our asphalt roads are crap.

The bumps that get transmitted the most are the small ones, imperfect road surfaces where you will get lot's of undulations, small holes, ripples etc.

Rebound is about the smoothest I can get, today I went back to full soft on the compression and I will work my way slowly back to harder settings to road test the results at each change.

Whilst backing off the compression has improved the ride slightly, I now have of course a little too much front end dive.

Previous maintenance records from shop work show no changes to the forks/ springs so I assume they are stock, front forks did have seals done and oil changed in July 2010, using 5W oil.

While I have not exactly measured sag, it's about correct on the rear for the amount i see the bike move, loaded, unloaded and with me on it.

If i ride slowly and stand on the pegs, while shifting my weight to move the suspension up and down front and back, the rear is nice and compliant. The front barely moves.

it needs to be revalved ... sorry

the 08 susp is harsh

i tried many different settings ... wow , after the revalve its sweeet

You will never get road-bike quality low-stiction performance and smoothness with the forks you have. They have been designed for high abuse, and therefore have lots of tube overlap, tall bushings, etc, which translates into low-compliance performance over small bumps.

You can do a few things to help it out. Old-school cheater-tricks for Jap dual sports:

- drop you oil height by 10mm in each fork. Not an easy task, but it's cheap.

- spray silicone lubricant on the fork sliders, to reduce stiction

- increase your rear race sag, so the bike sits a bit lower in the rear, so the fork angle increases, making it easier for the forks to move up and down.

Beyond that, you need a re-valve and re-spring.

How much do you weigh? I agree with the other posts on here, but I experience the same issues as you - and I probably only weigh about 150 with gear on. Currently trying to decide if I can do it myself or send it off to get them revalved. I'm 100% pavement supermoto, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I weigh 190lb approx., will a re-valve change much of what I'm feeling now?

Rest of the suspension action seems fine.

One thing to check that was not posted here is proper assy. of the front wheel. I see a big change in how much better the forks feel on the small stuff ( high speed damping ) if care is taken to not pinch the fork legs together when you assy. the front wheel.

Try loosing the pinch bolts on the lower legs and moving the forks up & down to let them find the natural place for them to be. Also make sure the pinch bolts on the upper clamps are not over tightened too.

One thing to check that was not posted here is proper assy. of the front wheel. I see a big change in how much better the forks feel on the small stuff ( high speed damping ) if care is taken to not pinch the fork legs together when you assy. the front wheel.

Try loosing the pinch bolts on the lower legs and moving the forks up & down to let them find the natural place for them to be. Also make sure the pinch bolts on the upper clamps are not over tightened too.

+1:thumbsup:

This I will be doing for sure on the weekend:thumbsup:

Should this be done with the front end off the ground?

This I will be doing for sure on the weekend:thumbsup:

Should this be done with the front end off the ground?

Put in the axle, loose pinch bolts both sides.

Tighten down axle nut with the right side (when seated) pinch bolts tightened enough so axle does not spin.

Now loosen right pinch bolts again.

Sit on bike and pump the suspension HARD.

Raise the front wheel, spin it, and SLAM on the front brake. A few times.

I even stick a wood or plastic shim in the right side clamp to make sure it's open enough for the fork leg to self center.

Now tighten all the pinch bolts.

And NEVER over tighten the lower clamp bolts. I think spec is 13-15lbs.

Done all that now to ride and see if I notice anything different.

get some quotes on a revalve , lets see how much they ask

get some quotes on a revalve , lets see how much they ask

Good idea.

This was the problem, thanks you:ride:

Put in the axle, loose pinch bolts both sides.

Tighten down axle nut with the right side (when seated) pinch bolts tightened enough so axle does not spin.

Now loosen right pinch bolts again.

Sit on bike and pump the suspension HARD.

Raise the front wheel, spin it, and SLAM on the front brake. A few times.

I even stick a wood or plastic shim in the right side clamp to make sure it's open enough for the fork leg to self center.

Now tighten all the pinch bolts.

And NEVER over tighten the lower clamp bolts. I think spec is 13-15lbs.

I followed this procedure, now the front end like it should be, while it's still harsh the improvement now is a very noticeable difference:ride:

When the last set of tyres was fitted the pinch bolts were way too tight, i had a time getting 2 of them loose.

Now the bike turns better as well, also the binding I had when pushing the bars to the right is gone also (I though my steering head bearings were worn).