Vapor Tach not working right

Hey guys. I finally got off my but and installed my vapor that has been sitting around for months. I loved it except for the fact that the tachometer isnt working right. It barely reads any rpm's unless I let off the throttle. as in I am cruising at or about 5k rpms, and it only shows 2k. then i let off the throttle and it shows what the motor is actually doing. I wrapped the wire around the spark plug wire just like the directions say. should I do it another, more effective way?

Thanks guys as always

I suspect you didn't ground it properly.

i wrapped it in some random bolt connected to the frame. maybe i will put a ring on it and do it right

The best way to connect the tach wires is to solder the red lead from the Vapor to the white wire at the coil, then the black lead to the black with white stripe ground wire there.

+ 1 ...

The best way to connect the tach wires is to solder the red lead from the Vapor to the white wire at the coil, then the black lead to the black with white stripe ground wire there.

I like it...

Great stuff... I just ordered a Vapor yesterday.

Are there any other DRZ specific installation tips for the Vapor that are not in the regular installation instructions? (SM model)

there are two 'models' that I know of) of Vapor kits for the DRZ. Be sure to get the one where the temp sensor threads into the left radiator bleed boss. The other kit requires you to cut a hose, insert a 'T' fitting. Not as nice.

After you have the Vapor vully connected, carefully read the owners manual. There is a procedure to get it to recognize the temp sensor.

Finally, there are a bunch of threads here that discuss mounting options and pitfalls. Well worth the time to read.

there are two 'models' that I know of) of Vapor kits for the DRZ. Be sure to get the one where the temp sensor threads into the left radiator bleed boss. The other kit requires you to cut a hose, insert a 'T' fitting. Not as nice.

After you have the Vapor vully connected, carefully read the owners manual. There is a procedure to get it to recognize the temp sensor.

Finally, there are a bunch of threads here that discuss mounting options and pitfalls. Well worth the time to read.

i ordered the one for the drz. it came with both that you speak of

Or the newer Striker, which comes with a direct fit temp sender....

striker_w450.jpg

V300-001_w450.jpg