Hard to kick (issue with decompression?)

I have posted the following in the CRF450 forum, but since there are some very knowledgeable people in the CRF250 forum (Charlie comes to mind:smirk:), I double post.

I have a 2004 CRF 450 that was always easy to start until the valves zero'd out. I put SS kibblewhite, and I also re-ring my Wiseco piston. I also "played" with the decompressor arm clearance, but made sure that I was eventually in spec (0.011 + 0.014) ... The bike fired up first kick BUT the compression is WAY higher than it was before. It almost looks like the decompression is not working. Is it due to the stronger KB springs, new rings on the piston, did I mess up somehow the decompressor arm clearance ???

It's not hard to set the decompression on the 450's so I doubt that you did something wrong with the set up, unless the cam gear was in the wrong spot. The 450's run forever with low compression and you hardly notice the difference in the power because it's so extreme. So when you installed the new components, I'm sure that was a giant compression boost. Just make sure that the decompression spring isn't broke. If it is, that will drastically increase the compression on starting.

Charlie, thanks for your valuable suggestion (as usual:smirk:), I'll check that spring.

I have a issue with my 07 crf 450. One of the cam chain bolts came loose from the sprocket. It was just luck it did not fall down in the crank case. I took it to a mechanic and he told me the de compression spring was broken. I ended up having to buy the sproket and decompression assy since this year of bike they cannot be bought seperatly. Ive got the bike back and i have to wait until i get just past TDC before i can kick it over. This guy is telling me this is normal. The bike will start on the first or second kick once i get past TDC. everything turns over just fine when the plug is out. Timing is good as well. Does anyone have anything that would help me eliminate this hard starting issue?. Thanks in advance. JR

Listen for the decompression lever "click" when going past TDC. This will at least give you some feedback to indicate the decompression lever's lobe is lifting the exhaust valves.

I have had a few decompression lever pivots on CRF cams bind up due to the end flat spring being bent, and the pivot gets bound up with the decompression lever lobe in the retracted position. If you are not hearing the decomp system click, remove the cam cover and make sure the decomp shaft turns freely in the cam and check to see if the wire return spring is intact. In the non-running position, the decompression counterweight should be held in by the wire spring rotating the decompression lobe into position to slightly lift the exhaust valves. When the engine starts, centrifugal force from the spinning camshaft causes the counter balance to swing out and rotate the decompressor to retract the decompression shaft lobe into the camshaft so the exhaust valves close properly.

Hey, thanks for the great response. Well said. I actually had the the valve cover off today and decided to put it back together and say the hell with it as the cycle runs just fine. I have heard that this year is known for this issue. Have you hear of this? Now having said that and hearing your response, i will dis assemble and follow your instructions as i did not hear the noise you are referring too. I did notice the spring is in tack and the detent pin seemed to be working but did not pay that close of attention. Once again i appreciate all of your feedback. With your help i know i will get through this, JR.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Brady The Honda Guy
      I recently put a newer style fender and plate on my 2007 crf250r. I just had to drill a couple holes in the fender and I used some washer on the back bolts to angle the fender up a bit. Since the original plate mounted with one bolt in the center and the newer styles mount with two bolts, I had to make a custom bracket. Message me if you need dimensions for this bracket. New style is in my cover photo, stock is in my profile picture.
    • By Brady The Honda Guy
      So I can get a 1986 cr250 motor for a good price and I also know a guy that has a 2005 crf250r that needs work. I have the idea of just swapping motors. Would this motor fit in the newer frame?
    • By Kevin from Wiseco
      Jeremy Martin Leads the Charge for Wiseco Riders at Daytona Supercross
      Christian Craig Turns in Career Best in 450 Competition
      MENTOR, Ohio (March 13, 2018) – Jeremy Martin showed the way for Wiseco-sponsored riders in Saturday night’s Monster Energy Daytona Supercross presented by Honda. In a season marred by bad luck and misfortune, Martin put together a near flawless ride to earn his first Eastern Regional 250SX Class podium finish of the season.
      Martin qualified eighth for the division’s annual visit to the World Center of Racing, finished fourth in his heat race, and came home second in the 250SX main event, missing his first win of the year by less than a second.

“It’s Daytona, a real man’s track.” said Martin who sits fourth in points. “It was the toughest race of the year as far as fitness. I had to slow down a little bit, halfway through the main. I was getting close to (race winner) Jordon (Smith) and I was starting to think about where I could make a move on him, then I made some mistakes and he got away from me. Couldn’t quite get close again, but it’s good. We’re on the podium and in contention for wins again. That’s something I haven’t been able to say in supercross in a while. We want to get wins and now we know it’s coming.”
      Martin’s podium was a bright spot, but the rest of the event was rough for the GEICO Honda/Factory Connection squad. RJ Hampshire crashed hard in his heat race and had to be transported to a local hospital. He injured his back and ribs, but shoulder pain left him with the most concern.
      “I felt good on the bike all day,” said Hampshire via his Instagram account. “Had some pretty good speed and my foot just slid off hitting my shifter in those rollers during that heat race. After seeing the pictures from the crash I’m very thankful I didn’t take a shot to my head. I have some fractures in my T3/T4 in my back and ribs. Also have some damage to my lungs which is why I’ll be spending a couple nights in the hospital. I’ll be getting some more checkups this week on the shoulder also.”
      Cameron McAdoo, the third member of the team, was unable to compete at Daytona after being sidelined with a hand injury two races ago in Atlanta.
      Across the paddock, in the premier 450SX Class, Christian Craig got the call to fill in for Team Honda HRC. With the team’s regular riders Ken Roczen and Cole Seely out with injuries, it was up to Craig to carry the load for the factory team, and the upstart rider didn’t disappoint.
      The San Diego native was solid in both qualifying sessions, won his heat race and snagged the holeshot in the division’s main event. After relinquishing the lead to eventual winner Justin Brayton, Craig continued to show he was up for the challenge. The 26-year-old rider raced for second and third for most of the 20-minute-plus-one-lap feature before losing one more spot in the late goings to bring his No. 32 Honda CRF450R home fourth in the final rundown.

“I had a great week testing with the team,” commented Craig. “They came down to Florida right after Atlanta and I feel like we really improved. Just getting more time on the bike and getting more comfortable was huge. I started off race day feeling really good. My qualifying position didn’t really show it, but overall I was happy with my riding. It’s all about having fun out there, and man, that’s what I did tonight. I was up front in the heat race, fell to third, but then the two guys in front took each other out so I ended up winning. You can call it luck or whatever, but I just put myself in a good position to capitalize on people’s mistakes."
      “I had a good gate pick and some confidence going into the main. I grabbed the holeshot and led for almost the first lap, but [Justin] Brayton got by me pretty quick. I stayed second for quite a while. I just rode my hardest and did my best. Unfortunately, a couple guys got by me so I ended up fourth. The track was so tough. This is only my second time racing Daytona and last year didn’t go well, so I really wanted to get some revenge this year. It’s better than the week before, but man, I was so close to a podium. I just need to keep putting myself in good positions and work on getting better each weekend.”
      Monster Energy AMA Supercross rolls on this weekend when the series visits the “Gateway to the West” for its annual race at the Dome at America’s Center in St. Louis. The 11th of 17 races on the 2018 supercross calendar will be televised live on FS1 Saturday, March 17, beginning at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, 5 p.m. Pacific.

• By ThomasM.
      selling Hot Cams Valve Shim Kit that i bought for my 2005 crf250x, will also fit crf250r.
      used 1x 1.30 and 2x 1.55 shims. the rest is still there.
      $60usd shipped in the usa or canada
      please contact me for pictures or if you are not sure if it will fit your bike
    • By DirtRider250x
      Hi all,
      My main question is how can I make my 250r more reliable. I have owned it for 2 years and it was spent about 1 year in the shed probably needing new valves and piston rings (i have been putting it off) Will steel valves last longer and work well in the engine? Also, what are your thoughts of me selling it and buying something newer? is it worth it?