metal plate in leg.

You'll need to follow any advice/instructions your doctor gave you. After the bone is healed, if the plate bothers you, see about getting it taken out.

Not sure how femur plates compare to tibial plates, but I had plates in my tibia that were bothering me. Had them taken out after (close to) a year. Unfortunately though, I didn't get much relief. But, everyone's different.

Get ready to deal with the ache when the weather is cold.. Mine gives me fits in the cold weather...

Have one in my tibia plateau and I also feel it in cold weather. It's been 8 months since I destroyed my leg and I've come along way and should be ready to get back on bike in spring, I hope. I dont think it ever feels normal again after major sergery and metal becomes part of your body.

I have a plate in my left femur. The main issue i have with mine (intermittently) is that it goes all the way to the knee joint, so the IT band can rub on it if i'm not careful with stretching and stuff.

I was off the bike for 8 weeks, and riding very carefully (no falling allowed) for another 8 weeks or so. Took about 6-7 months to get back to full speed and confidence, and more like a year or more for the mild ache to go away.

Never heard of a plated femur.

if you have a clean mild break, they can just drill a hole in your knee or hip and insert a rod to hold it together. If you break the living crap out of it, and the lower portion of the bone splits in 2 lengthwise, a rod won't do you any good, so they use an external plate to screw the whole mess back togeter.

http:www.motosapiens.net/brokenleg.html you can see the xrays of wht mine looked like before and after.

my femur blew up into too many pieces to fix/cant even consider takeing it out.i'vo onle had it since monday.it goes the entire lenth pretty much all the way to the knee joint.

i'd be shocked if you can't consider taking it out. it's only there to provide support until the bone heals. if the bone doesn't heal, the titanium will eventually fatigue and break.

It can still be a non-trivial operation to remove a plate tho, which is why i've left mine in so far.

Have one in my tibia plateau and I also feel it in cold weather. It's been 8 months since I destroyed my leg and I've come along way and should be ready to get back on bike in spring, I hope. I dont think it ever feels normal again after major sergery and metal becomes part of your body.

I did my TPF in June 10, blew it apart. I have a plate also, lots of folks say to remove it but I don't think it bothers me, but my knee will never be the same, never regain all ROM, but it is functional. I worked hard and rode 4.5 months after. But taking that plate out requires the same surgery to put it in, not going to happen for me, way to much recovery.

Now I have a new plate last month in my clavicle, think that one is coming out once all healed.

You have to decide but consider what it takes to recover and does it really bother you or is it just the extensive damage that your feeling, some injuries last a long time. Work hard on your recovery, work through the pain and rebuild the muscle, thats going to be your best bet, follow docs instructions but be true to yourself also. Keep your head in the game, positive thoughts, don't get down and keep working hard.

thanks for all of the encouragement and positive thoughts.my doc seemed confident that this was a routine thing,trying to makke me not worry i guess.

ofter only 2 days my leg was put in a machine that moves it at the knee,right now i'm at about 70 degrees.anyone use this?

thanks for all the stories,keep em comin!

I have had plates and rods in my lower leg over the years, don't we love our sport! Ha ha!

For me, the rod bothers be when it is cold or when I run, but the plates have never bothered me except when my boots are new and rub on the screws.

I say leave them in if they don't bother you, I hate having to go in for surgery, plus each time they cut you open, the higher risk of infection in my opinion.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Jason

they said my femur was shattered all the way to the knee joint,thats why they did a full lenth plate/.i'm probably gonna quite riding after this.i never want to go through this again.

thats what you say now...lol

on july 7th i crashed and shatterd my left femur, fractured my left hip, broke both ankles, and shattered the top of my left foot. was in a wheelchair for 3 months and now some use of crutches and i said the same as you, im done.. but hell ive already rode twice since the wreck, not suppose to im sure but i have.?

I also had to use that machine. Doc said to use it four times a day until i got to at least 110 degrees. Make sure you use the machine as directed if not even more. The more flexible you stay during your recovery the better. Its really hard to get your flexibility back after you heal...