Sign in to follow this  

Can't decide on a bike for the girlfriend.

Well my girlfriend has been riding my 250F for the last summer but it doesnt seem to fit her. She can't start it very often, has problems on trails and I just think it might be too big for her. She's about 5'5" and weighs probably around 130 or 140. I can't decide if a CR125 or a CRF150X would suit her better. Anyone have any suggestions or comments, let me know! All advice is appreciated.

The cr125 with a lowering link might be good. I am not a fan of the 150/230 variety 4 strokes, they are heavy, and have a week suspension. My brother used to have crf150f, at the time I weighed 145 and I could bottom out the suspension just by bouncing on it, and I could actually make the bike bunny hop, same for my friends old ttr125. My brother who at the time was 5'4" 130 upgraded to an '01 cr125 with a lowering link. Only downside is that the 125 two strokes don't like to putted around. Without the link it's going to be just as tall as the 250f. With that being said, 150r looks like it would be a lot better but I have never tested one.

The TTR and CRF 230's are terrific bikes for less aggressive riders. They have great pokey trail riding suspension, and magical E-start.

What about a kx 100 or an 85 big wheel (even a CRF150R)? Im currently searching for a good deal on one of the above for my wife (around the same size as your gf) because she doesnt like the size of my 125 but she loves the way the power is delivered and she's gotten pretty darn good on it, until she is on uneven or rutted ground and she gets nervous! Dont know how it will do in the trails though, might be one downfall to it. My wife likes the easy, flat, wide trails where if she falls over there are no trees or anything to "hurt" her which made my decision easy about the bike for her. Most of our riding is done on fire roads and my turn track in my buddies back yard. She wants to learn to jump as well (which scares the Holy H*** outta me) but a 150f or 230 wont handle very well for her due to the weight. If I could make the 125 about 2-2.5 inches lower and be able to get it back to stock height easily so I could still ride it, it would be perfect for her.

Sorry for the long post but Im in the same situation and thought that my research and options at this point may help. As of right now Im sold on the KX100 and if e ever wants more out of the bike it will recieve a 112 big bore/ stroker build up.:busted:

If she likes the four stroke power, try a CRF150RB, or modify the smaller bore two strokes to deliver a smoother hit. See if you cant get her a ride on a couple of the smaller bikes and she what she thinks?

stay with a 250f.

I'm a girl, 5'3, 130lbs. I have a yz85 and I ride my boyfriends 250f. I WAYYYY prefer the 250f! I feel so cramped on my 85 now. Next season I will be upgrading to my own 250f and I will modify the suspension(lower it) so I can almost flat foot it. A Rekluse clutch would be VERY convenient, that way when I fall(happens all the time) I won't have to kick start it again, since it won't stall. i looked into getting a 150r and its frame size is so similar to the 85 that I was not comfortable. My boyfriend and I stay away from the heavy trail bikes aka crf230's.

But to answer your question, she would love a cr 125. It's light and it kick starts easily. I rode my 85 up tons of forest service road mountains, so a 125 can definately haul in the trails too.

Easy....Goodbye girlfriend, hello new bike. :busted:

The 150rb makes a great trail bike. I think the size of the mini's will feel tight when she becomes a better rider.

Small 2t work for the trail but keep in mind they will load up often and the powerband is not friendly. With all the bikes out there small 2t would be the last choice for trail.

What about a kx 100 or an 85 big wheel (even a CRF150R)? Im currently searching for a good deal on one of the above for my wife (around the same size as your gf) because she doesnt like the size of my 125 but she loves the way the power is delivered and she's gotten pretty darn good on it, until she is on uneven or rutted ground and she gets nervous! Dont know how it will do in the trails though, might be one downfall to it. My wife likes the easy, flat, wide trails where if she falls over there are no trees or anything to "hurt" her which made my decision easy about the bike for her. Most of our riding is done on fire roads and my turn track in my buddies back yard. She wants to learn to jump as well (which scares the Holy H*** outta me) but a 150f or 230 wont handle very well for her due to the weight. If I could make the 125 about 2-2.5 inches lower and be able to get it back to stock height easily so I could still ride it, it would be perfect for her.

Sorry for the long post but Im in the same situation and thought that my research and options at this point may help. As of right now Im sold on the KX100 and if e ever wants more out of the bike it will recieve a 112 big bore/ stroker build up.:busted:

The kobua lowering link lowers the bike about 2 inches and you can adjust the forks in the triple clamps to regain some of the geometry of the frame. All it does is make the dog bone for the mono shock longer. It relay helped my brothers bike and if you need to make it taller at any point just spend half an hour putting it back to stock.

I would imagine your girlfriend would be better off on the 250F than a 125 MX bike. You didnt specify the brand of your 250F, but the 125 MX bikes are full sized bikes, likely the same height (or close) to your 250F, so you arent going to gain ground there. The 125 will have much less low end power than your 250F which will make it more difficult for her to manuver in tight trails. The only folks that have fun riding 125 MX bikes in technical terrain are experienced riders that have mastered slipping the clutch and revving the hell out of it because a 125 only makes power at very high rpms. I have owned many bikes throughout the years (including a YZ125 and RM125) and my personal opinion is that a 125 MX bike is the worst bike on the market for trail riding. With that being said, I think the CRF150 is a much better plan.

Stay with a 250f.

I'm a girl, 5'3, 130lbs. I have a yz85 and I ride my boyfriends 250f. I WAYYYY prefer the 250f!

You are a rare exception. I ride with a girl like that too, she is happy on her 04 YZ125. Most girls don't like stiff supension, tall seats and big power though... I mean like 90% of the girls out there.

The CRF150 bigwheel is a great crossover bike if your girl is small enough to be comfortable on it, they make quite decent power on top but grunt very well too; I had a hoot tearing up the trails on one a couple of months ago. An auto clutch would make a 150R an absolutely killer beginner bike.

Otherwise, a 125 with a lowering link and trail porting is the way to go, they make a lot tamer power and actually hook up the rear with some port work.