Sign in to follow this  

2011-2012 rmz tranny issues

got the ok from the boss lady to buy a new bike and im set on the rmz i love it. got on here and im reading quite a few things about tranny problems im not a hardcore racer and i take very good care of my bikes. is this something i should be worried about? should i just go for the kxf? and is this a real costly repair? i do all repairs myself so labor isnt an issue. appreciate all comments thanks.

my '11 250 never hit false neutral. my 07/08 250s did as well as my 09 450 but my '11 250 never had a problem with the trans.. just my personal experience

they did have the problem? did you have to repair it or was it just something that happens. ive never had tranny probs and idk if i want to start

my new '11 never had that problem im not sure if it was fixed for the new model or not but i know the old models had problems and every bike i owned did except the '11 250. i love that bike more then anything! lol

All bikes have their problems. I knew a guy where I live who had the transmission blow on his 2011 RMZ but there was rumour reports that he was hammering it pretty bad. I tried a 2011 out and on my 2nd up to 3rd shift I missed it and thought it to be a little weird but I believe it was just an isolated incident. I wouldnt go with either brand but thats just my opinion. Had I have to choose one, I would go with the Kawi, the new 2011/12 motors are flat out awesome. If I was lighter and was getting rid of the bike every season, it would be my first choice. I think a lot will come down the price and you relationship with the dealer. They are both great 250fs

well the only reason i say a kawi or zuki is because they are at the top of all the shootouts im really just trying to get the best 250f i can the honda got bad reviews the yamaha looks terrible imo and supposably has a doggish engine and ktms just kinda freak me out i dont have much experience with the newer models and the old ones just didnt compare in my opinion as far handling and such, power was great though. i know all bikes have there little probs like you say i just dont want serious expensive problems.

well the only reason i say a kawi or zuki is because they are at the top of all the shootouts im really just trying to get the best 250f i can the honda got bad reviews the yamaha looks terrible imo and supposably has a doggish engine and ktms just kinda freak me out i dont have much experience with the newer models and the old ones just didnt compare in my opinion as far handling and such, power was great though. i know all bikes have there little probs like you say i just dont want serious expensive problems.

It's a four stroke, when they have problems, it's going to be serious and expensive. Just because the magazines said so doesn't make them right. The Hondas, Yamahas, and KTMs are all great bikes too. Maintenance is going to be the determining factor when it comes down to it. As for you experience with KTM, I would encourage you to look there. The KTMs now are not even comparable to the KTMs of before. The handling is awesome now and the bikes feel very Hondaish (thats my comparison to my 2012 KTM). The only thing the one thing the KTMs did pass through the generations was their quality. Though I own one, I think KTMs are leading the pack in terms of a "complete" motorcycle. The quality is higher on them compared to the japanese bikes. The bikes are super reliable, come with a 6 speed trans, electric start etc etc. Unfourtanly, none of the Japanese bikes have some of the componets KTMs have. The Hondas are also good bikes. The lightest in the class and a lot of the issues they have had in the past have beem fixed for 2012. As for the Yamahas, its a known fact they are the most reliable. Though you dont like the look, they dont have many of the common problems that some of the other 250fs have. Off topic but what is stopping you from looking at a 2 stroke?

ill look more into the ktms for sure they just arent common around here but there are dealers nearby and i do like them. i own a two stroke right now and i do love it and the simplicity of it i actually traded my very nice 05 crf450 for a very nice rm125 plus cash but im lookin to do some more track riding and possibly some racing this coming season and the four stroke def made it a lot easier for me personally. the sx150 is screamin my name.

proabably a sweet bike but imo i think its ugly and i dont even know where to find a husky at the moment maybe it looks better in person idk worth a shot lookin i guess.

im reading quite a few things about tranny problems is this a real costly repair? i do all repairs myself so labor isnt an issue.

When we did the rebuild on my son-in-laws 10 we upgraded to the 11 tranny parts and it was not expensive. We also do our own labor or that might have gotten pricey.

My buddy just got a 12 rmz 250f he is expert and is real hard on bikes. He is coming off of yamahas and rode the 12 kx 250f and honda cr 250f he went with the suzuki and said its the best bike hes ridden he loves it.

yup thats what i keep hearin and i think its worth the risk of tranny failure ive ridin a 2010 rmz 450 and it was great the only problem is actually finding one if not im goin back to my roots HONDA

as said before, each bike has their problems, KTM's do use some quality components like the hyd. clutch, oversize brakes and starter, but this comes in at a higher price tag as well. Yamaha's are not only reliable, but are very well suspended stock imo. i have no experience with Kawasaki, ans currently i run the 11 rmz250. have clocked 36 hours (its winter now) and am very pleased so far with the bike. despite being one of the heavier 250f's the chassis reacts very well to rider input. the motor is VERY good, and the fuel injection is probably the best ive tried yet (again, haven't tried the DFI on kawis yet) i have hit false neutrals here and there but only because of weak shifting on my part. all bikes will do this if your not positive on your shifts. as a racer, i think it offers the best platform for improvement because the chassis handles so good. of all things on a bike, the chassis geometry cannot be modified so easily. suspension and motor are easy to modify to fit your tastes. looking forward to next season.

to be honest with you im not even sure what a false neutral is ive been riding for quite awhile now owned every brand but ktm, mostly early 2000s but have never hit a neutral between 3rd and 4th like some of these guys are saying. just dont get it is this only happening to newer models.

you may be right, i actually never noticed it on my older bikes also, but then again i was never as fast as i am now. when your racing you are constantly rushed by circumstances, a non positive shift on any newer bike will cause a false neutral IMO. it never happened on my CRF's until i started racing them. its not a problem until gears start popping OUT which is a sign of gear dog failure (rounding). one thing i noticed on the rmz which i havent had the chance to try on other bikes is: if you put it on a stand and turn the rear wheel with your hand and gently shift upward between gears, youl notice that around halfway you will catch "neutral" until you continue to pull up on the shifter. Logic says that this has to happen since you cannot have both gears engaged at the same time. but it would be interesting to verify this on another model bike.

funkinalive i tried the thing you said about spinning the tire with hand and shifting on my 03 rm125 and i couldnt get it to hit a false neutral maybe it was just me but i tried for a lil bit. im sure goona miss this bike......alot.

just not goona miss mixin gas, jetting, complete lack of low end power, slipping the clutch every corner, barely making it up the steep hills on the trails, and the fact that its just completely outdated in everyway. man im fricken excited idc how many problems i have i will never stop smiling. real nice 03 125 for saLe 1500 bucks haha!

just not goona miss mixin gas, jetting, complete lack of low end power, slipping the clutch every corner, barely making it up the steep hills on the trails, and the fact that its just completely outdated in everyway. man im fricken excited idc how many problems i have i will never stop smiling. real nice 03 125 for saLe 1500 bucks haha!

Then KAPOWWW, now your out 2000k!