Sign in to follow this  

Weak power valve spring/clutch on 200?

I have been playing with my power valve, but have not seen a big change in performance. Today I pulled the viewing port and rev her a few times and noticed that the PV (which is set to just below the Langston setting) will open all the way with just a blip of the throttle. It seems like I am just getting off idle and and the smallest zing opens it all the way. Could this be caused by weak springs in the PV clutch? Bike is a 2001 200 exc.

Thanks

LP

My 2008 "seemed" that way too, but I never actually measured anything. Maybe it opens further than you're seeing?

you are revving the bike without load. therein lies the key. nothing wrong with what you have.

when you say playing, what do you mean? how many turns or where are you adjusting the mark to? what range are you working within? I notice a quarter to half turn difference.

could be that other parts are worn, topend, PV is gummed up, etc.

When I bought the bike the adjuster was way off and below the bottom timing mark. So I set the PV at the langston setting and left it. Last weekend I made a series of adjustments at 1/2 clockwise intervals and I noticed a slight change, but not much. I recently had the clutch cover off and did not notice much wear on the lever arm, but do see some slop or what I think is slop in the system. With the inspection port removed and the bike off I can take a screw driver and push the plate with the notch down past the lower of the timing marks.