Sign in to follow this  

New to Green

I've been out of riding for past 3 or so years. Before that i've had Yamahas. Yesterday picked up new 11 KX450F :busted:. So is there any tips/tricks i should know about these bikes? First mods i should invest in besides suspension? Also this is my first FI bike.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Just the usual check the bolts as some work there way loose i like the 52 tooth rear for mx other than that its got plenty of power for me

We have two 12's and one '10 in our pits and all of them were completly dry on all the suspension bearings/shafts. I would highly suggest a quick tear down and greasing with a good waterproof grease(takes about 3 hours total). Evidently Kawi uses a light oil during assembly.

Other than that just enjoy . She is BAD, u will be pleased

Just the usual check the bolts as some work there way loose i like the 52 tooth rear for mx other than that its got plenty of power for me

Which bolts?

Gas tank bolts On mine it was the rear fender but all the 8mm id go over on the plastic parts a time or two after u ride it

Which bolts?

The rear fender bolts seem the most prone to loosening but all of the plastic bolts will fall out if you don't check them. I use blue locktite on them for new bikes.

It seems that once you have removed and replaced the plastics a few times the bolts stay put on their own.

Put dielectric grease in all the electrical connectors.

Grease all the bearings in the linkage, steering stem and wheels.

I recommend getting an in-tank fuel filter.

I'd also pull off the flywheel cover and remove the flywheel, theres a screen behind it that normally has pretty bad strips of silicone that will restrict oil flow throughout the motor.

:busted:

Put dielectric grease in all the electrical connectors.

Grease all the bearings in the linkage, steering stem and wheels.

I recommend getting an in-tank fuel filter.

I'd also pull off the flywheel cover and remove the flywheel, theres a screen behind it that normally has pretty bad strips of silicone that will restrict oil flow throughout the motor.

:lol:

Where can you get in tank fuel filters?

Normal Japanese quirks (easy to live with)

The rear guard comes loose - mine did even after i tightened it!

The hosing and wiring may need some additional cable tying/re-routing

Re-grease the linkage and headstock - I did mine after i rode my bike in

My spokes took a while to work loose but keep an eye on them

My chain guide and slide is destroyed after 6 hours...I was very careful with chain tension too. I have ordered a TM designs one...

Chain will wear to a point, settle, then wear some more. New W ring Chain and Sprockets have been ordered...

Theres not much you can do about the scuffing on the clutch cover but the airbox and frame can do with some well positioned protector film. I picked up some carbon fibre sheets from Ebay for $17. THe fork tubes can use some to to protect from roost.

Hand grips are hard as hell, and are a mission to remove. Wire buff works great!

Adjust the throttle freeplay, bars, levers, and take it out and have fun! its a another bulletproof kawasaki!

:thumbsup:I have a deposit on a leftover 11 as well. She'll be home in a few weeks