Sign in to follow this  

2011/2012 KTM 250sx vs 250xc for Motocross....

I went to my local dealer today to check out the new 2012 KTM's. I had my heart set on trying to find either a 2012 sx250 or a lightly used 2011. Im 27 and just bought my first house, so Im looking to get back on a 2 stroke to keep my riding costs down for next season.

I typically ride 3 days a week either at a local mx track or a local spot that has a whooped out sand track with a mix of some tight single track. I race mx roughly once a month. For 2012, Ive also toyed with the idea of doing a few hare scrambles seeing as I have a few buddies that are trying to drag me that way.

I mentioned this to the dealer and he really pushed me in the direction of one of his 2011 or 2012 250 xc models. He claimed that the bikes are sprung ideally for my weight, get 80-90 hours out of a top end and come a lot of extras that are extremely nice to have (I could go on for a while here). He also mentioned that the bike is equally at home on an mx track as it is in the woods. I found this hard to believe as it is a "xc" bike after all, and the bike is 15lbs heavier than the sx model.

Considering the conditions that I ride, do you guys think that a 250xc would be an IDEAL choice? Im 5'11, 180lbs. Im a slow junior (Mid to fast C rider in the states). Currently ride a 2012 Kx250f that Im petrified of blowing up and its taking the fun out of riding.

Cheers!

The XCs were made for fast offroad racing that sometimes includes a motocross track. I use my 200 XC for motocross and hare scrambles. If you are 180 without gear then you will probably need heavier springs in the near future but this is expected with any bike. It is only heavier than the SX mainly because of the 18" rear wheel, starter and battery. Starter and battery can be removed if you don't need them. 80-90 hours on a top end is on the conservative side. They can go twice as long. Sounds like the perfect bike for you. Worst case scenario, you may need some suspension work done.

If you get a 12' XC, it will need a revalve if you even get CLOSE to an MX track. By all accounts they are valved very light and soft/mushy, even for light guys. Doesn't that 12'kxf ROCK??!! I hear they are THE 250f to have for 2012.

The 250f hauls a$$ no doubt. Id love to keep it, but with the amount I ride, Id probably go through 2-3 top ends next season. With a piston, rings and labour coming in around $600 each time, that makes riding way too expensive when you factor in the other maintenance costs associated with riding. Ive already got 23hrs on the bike, so if I was to keep it, its going to be time for one before the start of the season.

The dealer was telling me that the sx is over sprung and that the xc suspension would actually be preferable for someone my size on a mx track? I found that a little hard to believe.....

Edited by hammerhead_112

Like Grunkthump said, for your needs the 2011 XC will be better set up to handle MX right out of the box. The 2011 XC is lighter also (no linkage). I have ridden a 300XC 2011 on a moto track and the suspension did well (I'm 190 with gear on). People say the 2012s are really soft even with the clickers all in.

I have a '12 250xc. I practice on a motocross track and race in the expert class in the bush. I use one bike and one suspension setup that is more geared towards off-road. With a few clicks on rebound and compression, the bike is great for the bush and good for the track. If you plan on doing more track you could tune the suspension to be great for the track and good for the bush.

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf

actually i was not suggesting the 11' (no linkage)...i was thinking IF you could find a 12' SX that would be the ticket for what you want. Just my .02

i would be more worried about what trans you want. cant see the xc gears being worth a crap if you do much mx. then again i wouldnt use sx bike for mostly off road stuff

I wouldnt put much faith in what most dealers would tell you, maybe they are able to get more XC's than and SX right now. KTM makes the SX for Motocross...if that's what your primary use will be, then get the SX. I'm 175lbs (Vet :busted: rider and I had to go up 1 spring rate in the forks (2011sx), its not over-sprung. If you ride wither bike hard on the track, then I wouldn't let either bike go more than 40 hours or so...and for $150 for a piston and ring set, its worth being cautious.

A xc model is going to cost about a $1000 more, typically has a better resale value, comes with oversized tank, e-start, 18'' wheel.

I prefer the sx models.. snappier motor and no e-start, kickstand, ect..

Yea, I really agree with a lot of you. My main focus is Motocross, so I think Im going to keep my eyes open for an SX model. Im sure the SX won't have a problem doing a few Harescrambles if I grow the gonads to try a few.

The one thing that did blow me away yesterday was the build quality of the new KTM's. Excel A80's, Hydraulic Clutch, Braided lines, Brembos, Powervalves springs. I could go on and on. Im defiantly going to make the switch to Orange!

Ive found a 2011 and 2012 Sx250 that are both used with low hours locally. Going to check out both this afternoon. Im wondering if its worth the extra $1500 to go to the 2012 for the sake of a linkage?

FWIW, I picked up an '09 250 XC two years ago thinking I'd be mostly trails / some MX. After one trip to the MX track, I was hooked, so I had it re-valved & re-sprung for MX. I am 41, 190 lbs, novice rider, but can tell you that the bike is very capable on the track and the E-start is really nice to have.

However, IF I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the SX. Again, not a huge difference between the two once you get the suspension set up properly.

Funny thing now is, I'm planning to sell the XC and pick up an SX-F, just to see what this four stroke business is all about :busted:.

Ive found a 2011 and 2012 Sx250 that are both used with low hours locally. Going to check out both this afternoon. Im wondering if its worth the extra $1500 to go to the 2012 for the sake of a linkage?

My guess is you'd be happy with either bike, but you could take the $1500 savings on the 2011 and spend it on suspension and be VERY happy.

Yea, I really agree with a lot of you. My main focus is Motocross, so I think Im going to keep my eyes open for an SX model. Im sure the SX won't have a problem doing a few Harescrambles if I grow the gonads to try a few.

The one thing that did blow me away yesterday was the build quality of the new KTM's. Excel A80's, Hydraulic Clutch, Braided lines, Brembos, Powervalves springs. I could go on and on. Im defiantly going to make the switch to Orange!

I have the 2011 and think the non-linkage bike has a lot of benefits, even for MX. On the 2 stroke, I cant imagine their being any real benefit for having linkage since the bike handles amazing as-is. I have the means to purchase a 2012, but for me, the 2011 being 6+lbs lighter and being simpler to maintain without linkage is golden. Plus, if you are going to do some off-road hare scrabbles, additional ground clearance without linkage is a major plus. I may be a bit biased, but save the $1500 and have one of the best 2 smokers ever made

I think it funny when the issue of "ground clearance" is brought up in regards to the linkage....there has never been a a situation where the linkage caused me to get stuck or not make a section! the linkage is a HUGE improvement and makes the already improved newer ktm's work even better.

You have to consider resale when choosing linkage or not. I have an 11 250XC and in a year or two when I sell it, it'll be a dated bike unfortunately. In a sport where the latest and greatest is king to most buyers, that should be factored in.

I think it funny when the issue of "ground clearance" is brought up in regards to the linkage....there has never been a a situation where the linkage caused me to get stuck or not make a section! the linkage is a HUGE improvement and makes the already improved newer ktm's work even better.

Agreed