Sign in to follow this  

Texas What kind of riding is there around austin

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Austin and I am wondering what kind of riding is available as in off road and trials. When I visited awlile back I was talking to a dealer and he told me that you have to join a club as there is no open areas to ride. is that true

Thanks

Shawn

There are a few places to ride, but it's nothing like where you are. Basically there is one National Forest, near Houston and City Park in Austin, where you can ride for free ($8 annual pass). The rest of the riding is pay per day or membership. You'll want to join the AMSA to get access to some lease properties, otherwise you'll get pretty bored with Hidden Falls and CTOR every weekend.

And you'll have to get used to small, tight trails, because the properties are relatively small. You'll never need a map or compass again, heheh. I used to live/ride in CO, so it's a shock how little riding there really is in this area. It's still better than none and it's great to ride year round, so the quantity is making up for the lack of quality.

SHNF isn't free, there is a $16 Tx ohv sticker you will need annually and there is a $5 per day trail use fee at the trailhead or an $25 annual trail pass is available at the ranger station.

SHNF isn't free, there is a $16 Tx ohv sticker you will need annually and there is a $5 per day trail use fee at the trailhead or an $25 annual trail pass is available at the ranger station.

Ah, ok, I haven't been out there yet, thanks for the info.

There's a fairly active trials community here as well. CityPark has a 6.5 mile motorcycle trail, but the entire place where the trail is located is a regular hot spot for trials riders. They have some competitions out there as well. CTOR is also a nice place for trials.

Between Hidden Falls, CTOR, AMSA family days, TORCS racing, and TSECS enduro series, I find no shortage of opportunities to ride.

But yes, it will be different (much different) than where you're coming from.

Texas is a huge proponent of private ownership. It has its advantages and disadvantages. You have less government land to ride on, but when you're riding on private property, there's not a damn thing any ignorant tree-hugger can do about it. :lol:

coming from Washington, youll hate Texas riding. i rode Cle Elum and Gifford this summer with some friends up there. You guys are in motorcycle nirvana up there.