Sign in to follow this  

That Husky Moab thing...

Some like it many do not. I wonder if the idea is sound for sales myself as I have never seen this "do nothing really well" kind of bike take off. Looking through the show I see a few others and one caught my eye. It made me think Husky over shot the idea and instead of doing a modern version a retro version might have been better.

Wonder what the reaction would have been if husky had released something more like this...

ricki05.jpg

Instead of this...

husky+1+%25285%2529.jpg

Thoughts?

That Moab thing looks like an aborted fetus from one of the machines in the latest "Transformers" movie! :busted:

I don't hate it. It's edgy yet retro. I bet it is a neat ride, too. But i agree it won't sell. I'm not sure if any of that retro stuff would actually sell to people who ride the stuff.

You can pull it off with a streetbike, but when you do a retro dirt project, it rides so awefull compared to modern that "everyone looks but noone buys".

Not really sure why they built it??

How about this for retro:

Big-bore two-stroke airhead motor in a fully modern chassis with some old-school looking hardware details and plastics styling.

Or something like this bike:

http://www.bikeexif.com/lossa-yamaha-sr500

That guy's shop is in my hood, and the bike is truly drool-cup-worthy.

Or just go retro. The new Mustang, Camaro and Challenger are straight-up imitations of the original cars, updated and improved in many ways if not all styling details.

The Moab seems to have been designed by people who don't actually like old bikes. The essence is the spirit of the present and future reinterpreted to pander half-assedly to the old bike, rather than the spirit of the old bike reinterpreted and revitalized for the present and future.

How about this for retro:

Big-bore two-stroke airhead motor in a fully modern chassis with some old-school looking hardware details and plastics styling.

Or something like this bike:

http://www.bikeexif.com/lossa-yamaha-sr500

That guy's shop is in my hood, and the bike is truly drool-cup-worthy.

Or just go retro. The new Mustang, Camaro and Challenger are straight-up imitations of the original cars, updated and improved in many ways if not all styling details.

The Moab seems to have been designed by people who don't actually like old bikes. The essence is the spirit of the present and future reinterpreted to pander half-assedly to the old bike, rather than the spirit of the old bike reinterpreted and revitalized for the present and future.

exactly what I was thinking.

BTW i had a SR500, cool bike, wish i had not let it go. the one you posted...

lossa-yamaha-sr500.jpg

As for retro modern how about this gem...

kwikasfaki-7.jpg

I have been wanting to do a YZ400 or 465 2st motor in a current frame for a while and might just get to it.

I do own a bike that is close to what you are saying. And i do think and updated version offered at like $5500 would sell. Inexpensive, simple, functional.

I just rebuilt the motor, am putting Ohlins forks on it and getting the shock all done. Should be good as it was actually quite good as is. I do think there is a market for less expensive simpler dirt bikes that still have 90% of the performance of the new ones.

667016793_qRGKE-XL.jpg

Is SWM still making bikes? Looks like a GG motor. I remember looking at those as a kid and was like WOW. I was in high school and wanted one of these so bad i could taste it.

SWM_GS440_Enduro.jpg

It was announced that they will make a comeback (as almost every italian brand from the golden days.....:busted: )

Yes it was a 300 GasGas motor in this one

8789425tkf.jpg

Is that an ATK 406, 89-ish?

99 last year of that bike. Surprisingly good bike and does not have the goofy CS brake or silly air box. Very conventional. super solid and needs almost NO maintenance as there is no linkage or water cooling and the motor is a rock. Simple effective bike. Here is the other side with crazy Dynoport pipe. Just did the rod and rings and am putting it back together. Might ride it this weekend for the fun of it.

667016773_Eigmb-XL.jpg

That model SWM used the same rotax motor as did Can AM s

and my ATK.

Cool I really like (d) those, never rode one. No chaintorque device I thought those all had them?. Reed-valve motor not Rotary, correct? I had a rotaryvalved can-am.

Cool I really like (d) those, never rode one. No chaintorque device I thought those all had them?. Reed-valve motor not Rotary, correct? I had a rotaryvalved can-am.

No chain toque crap other than a tall slider (Like Ty sells). Yes reed valve but it is actually a reed / piston port combo, odd single reed design. Works well. makes lots of bottom and mid but signs off a little early. Great off road woods motor.

I like it enough that I will keep it probably forever (not worth a lot) and am going to upgrade the suspension and have a hydro clutch for it.

Good bike for gnarly slick winter crap.

Nice vid. Looks deceptively steep! Mellow but punchy sounding motor. Is it a "reed-enforced piston-port" with the reed on the bottom of the cylinder, gasket-surface area? Those are ok and were embraced by early 80's suzuki with great success.

Nice vid. Looks deceptively steep! Mellow but punchy sounding motor. Is it a "reed-enforced piston-port" with the reed on the bottom of the cylinder, gasket-surface area? Those are ok and were embraced by early 80's suzuki with great success.

It is actually quite steep there. The area separates the men from the boys for sure. Lots of AA stuff in that area some marked for Trails bikes only (but we might accidentally get on those trails at times). Bungee jump, beaver slide, dickcrusher, and several other interesting names for trails there. And yes, i believe you might be right with the "reed-enforced piston-port" thing, sounds about right. One flat reed is at the bottom of the cylinder where it meets the case. Motor makes very good power for technical stuff. Similar to an old YZ400/465 type of power. I'l snap some pix before i slap it back together if you are interested.

exactly what I was thinking. As for retro modern how about this gem...

kwikasfaki-7.jpg

Dig it. The frame is kinda chunky, though, definitely shows its home-built-ness.

I have been wanting to do a YZ400 or 465 2st motor in a current frame for a while and might just get to it.

You read my mind on this. Yamaha had the best looking cooling fins, and kept making them for a good long time. A combination of dirt bike and sport bike parts with a properly dialed-in 490 motor would be silly. My other bike is a YZ, so I keep thinking this should be the starting point for inspiration.

OW40_disk_d.jpg

I've read the rules for registering specially constructed vehicles in Cali a few times, and it sure does seem like a custom-framed bike would be allowed in. A lot more work than just putting it in a YZ frame, but you could also set up the geometry to work with sport bike forks, instead of having to reengineer dirt bike forks to work on pavement.

Wow. I went off into the Google in search of pics, and stumbled on Yamaha already having done it, almost perfectly! The SDR200 looks frickin' sweet!

More spokey looking and little bit bigger wheels like Marchesinis, beefier forks and trade that radiator for some airhead fins, it would be pretty much what I've had in mind. The jewel-like trellis frame is something you could do in a well-equipped fab shop without forging tools, etc., and the similarly-constructed swingarm is pure sex, in a diminutive sort of way. As a 200cc 2T, it shares the bore and stroke of a DT200. Almost certainly the same motor, so as a lower-effort approach, you could likely bolt up a built Blaster motor with the SDR gears in it and get the look perfect, if you can manage to get an SDR where you live.

In case anyone at Yamaha is listening, launching something that looks like that but is scaled up for Americans with a bigger motor like, say, a Tenere thumper, would cause me to immediately drop cash at your dealership.

You read my mind on this. Yamaha had the best looking cooling fins, and kept making them for a good long time. A combination of dirt bike and sport bike parts with a properly dialed-in 490 motor would be silly.

Having owned and been around many YZ400/465/490 I can tell you the 400 and 465 are far better motors than that pinging mess of a 490. The 465 makes more power, runs fare better and is EZ to jet. The 490 is not. The 465 motor is very good. Very solid maintenance free motors.