To bore or not to bore

I'm about to order some parts to make the DRZ SM a little more fun. I planned on doing the bore kit, but after some consideration, I'm thinking it may be a better idea just to do the FCR carb and some cams. I say that because I'll be getting a bigger bike in a few years, and quite frankly, the DRZ isn't as slow as some make it out to be.

Are the cams even worth it without the bore kit? Is the FCR even worth it without cams/bore kit? Would love to hear opinions. Would like to order this week.

The typical mod schedule most follow is

1. 3x3 and jet kit

2. Fcr and exhaust (mrd or yosh ti)

3. Big bore and cams - if your going to crack into the motor may as well get things done in one shot.

That being said I'm currently running all the aforementioned mods and after installing the bigbore and cams is when the bike really started to rip but I got significant performance from each stage of modding. You can continue on up to 60hp power but after the big bore and cams horsepower gets really expensive.

I have the cams (Old Stage II), FCR and the MRD exhaust, 3X3, E Model ingition Box, Eddie's Coil, and added springs for a 250 pound fat guy (I weigh 222 now) and it is great. I plan on doing a big bore and some valve refresh this fall/winter and stroke it with a big valve RHC upgrade next year. Also I will go though the tranny and replace all the bearings and such in the engine and the swingarm/steering head next year. Finally the shift forks are always worth a look while you are in there. Of course I will have to buy a 41mm FCR when I go big bore, but I am sure I can move the 39. I have never made a mod to the DR-Z that didn't improve it a lot. I love rolling the throttle in first-third and bringing up the front. I can really drive out of corners at the track as well. The other most important mod was the Seat Concepts seat, woo hoo that made it sweet.

Final answer, get the big bore, not enough negatives to avoid it, and it is easy to do.

Do you have a pipe yet? The fcr and the mrd should be right around $1100 and get you close to 10hp. The big bore and cams will bring similar gains at a cost of around $600, however keep in mind the carb and pipe will boost the performance of the big bore and cam which is why the motor mods usually follow the carb and pipe. Personally I wouldnt just do the big bore or the cams separately as I hate doing the same labor twice.

Where are you getting your prices on the BB kit and cams? I already have a full yoshi titanium.

I don't want to just get a 39mm carb and if I feel like it, bore it later on. If I'm going to spend money, I'm just going to either go fcr/cam/bore or say it's not worth it and just get the carb and cams.

well shit, at those prices you might as well do it all. lol

I was looking at thumpertalk store and epicmotorsports (part of eddies site).

If anyone can chime in with where they bought all of their stuff from, that would be great. I think I'll buy the FCR from Eddie since he sets it up.

So, if I'm going to do cams and bore, I need the FCR 41mm?

If anyone can chime in with where they bought all of their stuff from, that would be great. I think I'll buy the FCR from Eddie since he sets it up.

No you want the fcr39. The 41 only works well with big bore stroker's.

No you want the fcr39. The 41 only works well with big bore stroker's. Also you should probably talk to Eddie first as I've heard he'll build up packages.

Service manual, copper coat , decent torque wrench, all essential fluids and lots of patients. I'd suggest several evening of research and note taking on this forum. Failure to install this stuff properly is very frustrating as well as expensive.