Sign in to follow this  

Doing a non-rebuildable shock

If i intall a shraeder valve on top of a non rebuildable shock, theoretically i could at least change the oil and put back a N2 charge right?

Quad shock 2008 rincon 680. I was thinking of filling 70% oil capacity and leaving the other 30% for the N2 charge?

the oil and the n2 are separated in shock you cant put n2 in oil

Sure you can its called a emulsion shock. Works been doing it for years in there quad shocks

the oil and the n2 are separated in shock you cant put n2 in oil

I know some non-rebuildable shocks had the N2 with the oil. It's not seen in motocross

oh sorry i don t know this kind of shock!in italy quad don t like much

:busted: No reason to be sorry. It is some what of a Quad thing

The frothy mess of N2 and oil must probably make the oil act like a lower weight than it really is does it?

Works has been doing it for years but with a shock that was designed to have it that way. I wouldn't try converting a shock. You could run too low an oil level and *really* damage something.

Have the seals gone out? If so, then your charge is gone too and you should be OK drilling and tapping the body. Not sure what the procedure is if you're still holding a charge.

One way to determine how much oil to run (assuming you haven't already lost a bunch) is to weigh the shock before you drain it and afterwards, then simply refill it with that much oil. The nitrogen, while not weightless, will not add much.

The other is to carefully capture the oil you drain in a graduated cylinder and refill with that amount (or a little more).

Good luck.

I'd be suprised there would be enough meat there to tap any threads, the bodies on those shocks are pretty thin.

When those shocks go bad the seals are most likely shot, refilling a leaky shock is a waste of time and money.

Sure you can its called a emulsion shock. Works been doing it for years in there quad shocks

are they supposed to beeing mounted vertically, so the n2 stays above the oil?

I did a non-rebuildable MTB shock which is laying horizontal and it has a piston for n2/oil seperation. just wondering why they want to build a cheap shock and didn't resign the piston...

If you buy the race tech pds charging bolt it should be a easy job u could drill the shock and drain the oil to give u an idear of the amount , or u have to measure shaft and piston etc and work out displacement.

are they supposed to beeing mounted vertically, so the n2 stays above the oil?

I did a non-rebuildable MTB shock which is laying horizontal and it has a piston for n2/oil seperation. just wondering why they want to build a cheap shock and didn't resign the piston...

Even though they are mounted vertically I am sure it doesn't separate. I only say this because when servicing some works shocks the schrader valve is on the bottom of the shock and when you drain it, there is a combination of N2 and oil.

Not fond of the idea and like the sep piston setup better

The oil always comes out funky even with such limited time on it, when they are combined together.

If you buy the race tech pds charging bolt it should be a easy job u could drill the shock and drain the oil to give u an idear of the amount , or u have to measure shaft and piston etc and work out displacement.

Yep

If you have a hard time calculating the displacement. What you can do is fill the shock with oil with the shaft at full extension.( it will be hydro locked at this point) Then as you push the shaft in, push in on the schrader valve pin, this will displace the oil from the shaft entering the body. You do however need to allow for a little bit more oil displacement by the shaft that is covered by bottom out bumper.

If u take the bumpstop off and run the shaft through like that, u will no exactly. Then strip and measure the amount of oil. Hope this makes sence

Yep

If you have a hard time calculating the displacement. What you can do is fill the shock with oil with the shaft at full extension.( it will be hydro locked at this point) Then as you push the shaft in, push in on the schrader valve pin, this will displace the oil from the shaft entering the body. You do however need to allow for a little bit more oil displacement by the shaft that is covered by bottom out bumper.

you also have to add another space as you can't compress the n2 from a given volume to zero.

I would say you must be able to compress the shock completely with your hands, like a "normal" bladder shock

you also have to add another space as you can't compress the n2 from a given volume to zero.

I would say you must be able to compress the shock completely with your hands, like a "normal" bladder shock

You add the N2 after you displace the oil and yes you will be able to compress the shock shaft it complete travel like any other shock. cause we no what could happen if it didn't....:busted::censored:

Oh and would I do this to a non rebuild able shock The answer is no......