Doing a non-rebuildable shock

Have the seals gone out? If so, then your charge is gone too and you should be OK drilling and tapping the body. Not sure what the procedure is if you're still holding a charge.

One way to determine how much oil to run (assuming you haven't already lost a bunch) is to weigh the shock before you drain it and afterwards, then simply refill it with that much oil. The nitrogen, while not weightless, will not add much.

The other is to carefully capture the oil you drain in a graduated cylinder and refill with that amount (or a little more).

Good luck.

Sure you can its called a emulsion shock. Works been doing it for years in there quad shocks

are they supposed to beeing mounted vertically, so the n2 stays above the oil?

I did a non-rebuildable MTB shock which is laying horizontal and it has a piston for n2/oil seperation. just wondering why they want to build a cheap shock and didn't resign the piston...

are they supposed to beeing mounted vertically, so the n2 stays above the oil?

I did a non-rebuildable MTB shock which is laying horizontal and it has a piston for n2/oil seperation. just wondering why they want to build a cheap shock and didn't resign the piston...

Even though they are mounted vertically I am sure it doesn't separate. I only say this because when servicing some works shocks the schrader valve is on the bottom of the shock and when you drain it, there is a combination of N2 and oil.

Not fond of the idea and like the sep piston setup better

The oil always comes out funky even with such limited time on it, when they are combined together.

If you buy the race tech pds charging bolt it should be a easy job u could drill the shock and drain the oil to give u an idear of the amount , or u have to measure shaft and piston etc and work out displacement.

Yep

If you have a hard time calculating the displacement. What you can do is fill the shock with oil with the shaft at full extension.( it will be hydro locked at this point) Then as you push the shaft in, push in on the schrader valve pin, this will displace the oil from the shaft entering the body. You do however need to allow for a little bit more oil displacement by the shaft that is covered by bottom out bumper.

Yep

If you have a hard time calculating the displacement. What you can do is fill the shock with oil with the shaft at full extension.( it will be hydro locked at this point) Then as you push the shaft in, push in on the schrader valve pin, this will displace the oil from the shaft entering the body. You do however need to allow for a little bit more oil displacement by the shaft that is covered by bottom out bumper.

you also have to add another space as you can't compress the n2 from a given volume to zero.

I would say you must be able to compress the shock completely with your hands, like a "normal" bladder shock

you also have to add another space as you can't compress the n2 from a given volume to zero.

I would say you must be able to compress the shock completely with your hands, like a "normal" bladder shock

You add the N2 after you displace the oil and yes you will be able to compress the shock shaft it complete travel like any other shock. cause we no what could happen if it didn't....:busted::censored:

Oh and would I do this to a non rebuild able shock The answer is no......