Sign in to follow this  

Lights on a CRF?

Hi everybody.

I'm looking to gather some information on adding lights to my 2005 CR450R. Yes I know this is a motocross dedicated machine, but I'd like to be able to ride to my farm and back after dark... despite this :busted:

Any suggestions on kits? Or other mods which might make my motocrosser just a bit more "commuter-friendly"? I do still plan on riding motocross. Buying an enduro is not an option currently.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! :busted:

Kienan

I am thinking your going to have to go with a Trail Tech kit , as i cant see any way you will get the stock stator to power a light , so its either replace the stator and/or use a Dual Sport kit , or get the lighting kit Trail Tech offers , its going to be the easiest (but not cheapest , as they are expensive) way to get your R on the road at night

http://www.trailtech.net/electrical_systems_honda.html

The cheapest one is at the bottom that will work on your bike , or you can go more wattage if you need more light , the kit does not include the light itself as far as i know , so you still have to purchase that (they have them)

Well, I have the exact same bike as you and this is what I did.... Got a lighting stator (or two, gotta have a spare...) off ebay new, bought a trail tech flywheel with the "stronger" magnets (it does help), did the wiring myself and am running dc voltage with a trail tech voltage reg/rec. I have a capacitor in place of a battery that stashes away just fine in my airbox. I power a headlight and a l.e.d. tail/brake light and it works fine. I think I have about two hundred bucks into it all at the absolute most.

There is a far easier way.. Battery powered LED's

Cyclops has a kit that mounts two LEDs to the bars and runs both for 3 plus hrs.. A helmet mounted light will also work, usually better than any bike mounted light.

You do not have to go the stator route to get race winning lighting..

But we have those as well...

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=84