Sign in to follow this  

exc headlight compatibility question...

okay so ive had a bit of bad luck lately, my xr250 was nearly jacked and in the process the thieves stole my baja designs headlight.

i want the intensity of the baja designs but i want the slick look of the older exc shroud. so does anyone know if i'd be able to fit this glass baja designs lens:

600002.jpg

inside this older exc shroud?

5030800100030_lg.jpg

does anyone have the measurements of the shroud opening + baja designs lens??

My Baja Designs light (on my XR4) and my EXC light are the same size. The oil cooler on my 400 gets in the way of mounting the EXC light though. Souldn't be an issue on your 250 (unless you have an oil cooler). I'd say to get the EXC front fender also though. The EXC light shells only have straps on top. The front fender has pins on it to locate and hold the bottom in position. If you order the EXC shell, keep in mind the straps are sold seperately. Let me know if you want any more info. :busted:

My Baja Designs light (on my XR4) and my EXC light are the same size. The oil cooler on my 400 gets in the way of mounting the EXC light though. Souldn't be an issue on your 250 (unless you have an oil cooler). I'd say to get the EXC front fender also though. The EXC light shells only have straps on top. The front fender has pins on it to locate and hold the bottom in position. If you order the EXC shell, keep in mind the straps are sold seperately. Let me know if you want any more info. :busted:

Hey man! it's funny to see you in a different sub forum. its like running into your teacher at the store. anyways, yes, thanks for this great info!

Firstly, i dont have an oil cooler!

I realized the exc shell used two rubber straps but that they are placed too high to actually wrap around the xr forks-- it looks like the clamps get in the way: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10684301&postcount=732

but also from that above link you can see from one of the pictures how the rider created a bracket which is mounted from the clamps. I was thinking of doing something similar. can you confirm that the straps wont reach around the forks?

I never considered also getting an exc front fender. Does it require a lot of modification to fit it to the xr? it would be amazing if it all fits right...

one more question: the baja designs lens you say is the same size as the plastic exc lens, could i simply order the regular baja designs one to replace the plastic piece, or would that require modification too? BD sells one from my post above that they say is designed to replace the exc light, but if its basically the same thing, i would rather save the money and order the regular one...

My EXC light has a plastic lens cover but the reflector and mounting look exactly the same to me. Both use a 55/60 H4 bulb. I'd say get the cheaper one wich I assume is the plastic lens.

Wallander also has the EXC front fender on that post you linked. I see the bracket he made on the pic, most likely to hold it out/up far enough to clear the oil cooler. I'll go out in the garage this weekend and confirm what I've told you and snap a couple pics.

My EXC light has a plastic lens cover but the reflector and mounting look exactly the same to me. Both use a 55/60 H4 bulb. I'd say get the cheaper one wich I assume is the plastic lens.

Wallander also has the EXC front fender on that post you linked. I see the bracket he made on the pic, most likely to hold it out/up far enough to clear the oil cooler. I'll go out in the garage this weekend and confirm what I've told you and snap a couple pics.

thanks for the help, you are really helping me out a lot, and im pretty excited about this because i really love that exc headlight.

the cheaper BD lens fixture i was talking about is just the standard one that comes with all BD headlights, which is glass. But it's cheaper only because i can order is from different sites whereas the other BD lens that is said to be the HID upgrade for the exc is only sold on the BD website. anyways, i just called BD and asked them if the regular lens fixture would fit into the exc shell. the guy (danny) responded: "no, it wont fit. they are a different size." so, i dont know if he actually knows that or if he's guessing? i dont know, perhaps ill get the one designed for the exc just to be safe.

and about the fender, wallander's fender looks just like the 2010-2011 crf fender. and it doesnt look painted and i dont think ktm makes a red front fender. i dont know. i posted in a different thread to ask him, so we'll see.

anyways, i look forward to hearing what you have to report from your garage. thanks again :busted: