Sign in to follow this  

Thrust Bearings or Washers for Forks

FC has used 2 nylon washers at the base of the fork springs, presumably to reduce friction upon compression of the fork springs (similar idea with the shock thrust bearing).

So I am planning on machining some UHMW washers similar to what FC uses to try out in some showa forks. I chose UHMW because it has an even better friction coefficient than nylon. So, for anyone that has seen these spacers that FC uses, do you know the dimensions of them (ID, OD, thickness)? I think I read somewhere on here that they used washer thicknesses of 1.5 and 2.5 mm.

I'm also going to try and source out some thrust bearings if I can find a size comparable to the washers.

I experimented with them on my ktm forks a while back and although they do make the forks plusher, especially in the midstroke, it leads to a fork that your can't trust when you push it and leads to less front wheel grip. Maybe its different with a closed chamber fork.

Would you happen to recall nominal dimensions?

Also, I have about 2 ft of UHMW material so if you are interested in a set of the washers I'd be happy to make a set for anyone interested.