Can I do This?

ok so the chain slap on my 09 kx250f has worn down to small slits on the chain slider and the chain is scratching down into the swingarm. i want to ride until the new chain slider i will order arrives. so does anyone think it would be possible to just put some cocking down where the worn slits are?

thanks for any replies

It's gonna go right through tape in about 2 minutes.

The best thing you can do if you MUST ride until the slider comes in is to get a piece of 1/8" UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic from the Home Depot/ Laird/ Tap Plastics, etc. Cut it into a strip 1" wide or so, and slip it between the slider and swingarm, this will actually last a day or two. We did it with a buddy's bike and it got him through until the new one showed.

The swing arm is fine. The early 2000 model yamahas had an issue where the sliders would wear through the swing arm without the actual slider getting worn out. I was surprised when I replaced my slider and there was a hole about and inch long and half inch wide underneath of it. And I ride my bike hard. I upgraded to the 2002 swing arm when I saw the wear.

If as you say the chain has already cut into the swingarm, then it really doesn't matter what you do at this point, you've already weakened and compromised the swingarm. I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't be hitting any big obstacles with a notched swingarm.

i think you are over doing it a bit here...

my 96 has some good notching going on the swing arm from the previouse owner...ill tell you, iv hit some big jumps and landed pretty hard, sometimes to flat...if it would have broken, it would have broken by now.

No one can make any judgement about the possible consequences of the wear on the OP's swing arm with out seeing it. By "scratching, he could mean light superficial scratches, or deeply grooved for all we know.
You are correct, no one knows how bad it is except the owner. But he said this:
the chain is scratching down into the swingarm.
"Down into" seems to me to indicate that it's cutting grooves into the swingarm. Hence the reason I said this:
If as you say the chain has already cut into the swingarm,
The swing arm is fine. The early 2000 model yamahas had an issue where the sliders would wear through the swing arm without the actual slider getting worn out. I was surprised when I replaced my slider and there was a hole about and inch long and half inch wide underneath of it. And I ride my bike hard. I upgraded to the 2002 swing arm when I saw the wear.
I'm glad you're willing to take a chance with your life and somebody else's life. But as an adult (something you frequently prove that you aren't on this board) I feel obligated to warn the OP of potential consequences.

In all likelihood the swingarm will never fail. But it could, and with catastrophic consequences if it does. If you people are really willing to take a chance and ride with grooves cut into your swingarm, by all means go for it. I won't. This sport is dangerous enough without taking stupid risks. I've seen scratches on aluminum bars cause the bars to break. I've seen tiny cracks in wheels cause the wheels to explode on jump landings. I've seen perfectly good frames break in half. And yes, I've seen damaged swingarms break. You see a lot when you've been riding for 40 years. So don't get on here and tell me "the swingarm is fine", because none of you know that, and experience tells me it might be, or it might not be.

Kawi Rider, only you can be the judge of whether or not you think the swingarm is safe. But based on your question, I think it would be prudent for you to at least have someone with more experience look at it.

ok so the chain slap on my 09 kx250f has worn down to small slits on the chain slider and the chain is scratching down into the swingarm. i want to ride until the new chain slider i will order arrives. so does anyone think it would be possible to just put some cocking down where the worn slits are?

thanks for any replies

No. Use a big blop of 5 minute epoxy. It should hold up for a ride or two.

JayC

You are correct, no one knows how bad it is except the owner. But he said this:

"Down into" seems to me to indicate that it's cutting grooves into the swingarm. Hence the reason I said this:

I'm glad you're willing to take a chance with your life and somebody else's life. But as an adult (something you frequently prove that you aren't on this board) I feel obligated to warn the OP of potential consequences.

In all likelihood the swingarm will never fail. But it could, and with catastrophic consequences if it does. If you people are really willing to take a chance and ride with grooves cut into your swingarm, by all means go for it. I won't. This sport is dangerous enough without taking stupid risks. I've seen scratches on aluminum bars cause the bars to break. I've seen tiny cracks in wheels cause the wheels to explode on jump landings. I've seen perfectly good frames break in half. And yes, I've seen damaged swingarms break. You see a lot when you've been riding for 40 years. So don't get on here and tell me "the swingarm is fine", because none of you know that, and experience tells me it might be, or it might not be.

Kawi Rider, only you can be the judge of whether or not you think the swingarm is safe. But based on your question, I think it would be prudent for you to at least have someone with more experience look at it.

BLAH BLAH BLAH. lol

• Like 1