Sign in to follow this  

New Bike Break-In

What do you guys prefer and do when your breaking in a new bike? Do you go for the "Easy" method, or do you go by the "Run it Hard" method?

I go the "in between" way.

I let it heat up properly and do one easy moto just to make sure everything runs fine. Then I let it cool off, and ride it as usual.

Been doing it this way for over 15 years and never had a single break-in related issue with any of my bikes.

First check that your air filter has a good amount of filter oil then choose a level wide open area to go ride , cruise around in lower mid range shifting threw the gears and only rev it up high 2 times while holding in the clutch.... Do this for 1/2 hour and go change your oils and filters.....next , time to step it up a little by cruising around your favorite area and rev engine up once every 2 minutes , this is to allow cool down periods for thoughs tight clearances , do this for one hour and park bike for 30 minutes.... Next go ride bike for 2 hours the way you want to but DO NOT ! go higher than 75% of your rev limiter....... Change all your oils and filters again as soon as you park it and you will be good to ride it however you want too..

Google Mototune or do what smart TTers do, simply use the search function.

Yes, I know. I wasn't exactly trying to figure out which one to do, or how to do it. I was rather just getting others opinions, and seeing which method(s) is most used.

All of my 4 strokes I have all ways broke them in by riding about half throttle for 15 mins and then let it cool down and go back out on the track for 15 more mins at half throttle and then come back in to let it cool down.

On the third time out I would then ride it at my racing pace but didnt hit the rev limiter but just rode it hard for about 15 mins and then you are done.

After riding it and putting about an hour to an hour and a half on it,when you get home or while at the track while its still hot(change the oil and filter).

I;ve done all my 4-strokes this way and never had any issues what so ever. All my bikes had up to 100 hours on them when I sold them and they still ran perfect. My 2010 I have now has 60 hours on it and all 60 hrs are practice and racing at the tracks.

I also have a 2011 that I just have broke in with 2.2 hrs on it.

RTFM:

Read The F$#%*@ Manual :busted:

The manufacturer knows whats best for their engines. After all, they DID make them :bonk::busted:

Hey guys remember its one thing to run in a freshly rebuilt engine eg.(new piston and rings etc) but the OP is talking about a brand new off the showroom floor bike. Personally i think its a little bit different.

The only parts on a bike that 'break in' these days are the rings. Barrels are NikaSil plated. Break in time is about five minutes. Many owners manuals have not been updated since the 60's. A lot rec. changing the oil every 3,000 miles. You know how long it takes to go 3,000 miles on a dirtbike? Think about the average speed being about 25 mph, in very, very harsh conditions..

RTFM:

Read The F$#%*@ Manual :busted:

The manufacturer knows whats best for their engines. After all, they DID make them :bonk::busted:

Crap, that means I'm about 30 hours overdue on a piston!!!

The only parts on a bike that 'break in' these days are the rings. Barrels are NikaSil plated. Break in time is about five minutes. Many owners manuals have not been updated since the 60's. A lot rec. changing the oil every 3,000 miles. You know how long it takes to go 3,000 miles on a dirtbike? Think about the average speed being about 25 mph, in very, very harsh conditions..

Spot on.

Yeah, my manual recommends top ens around 15 hrs, I did that around 100hrs and probably could have gotten away with just rings.

Spot on.

Agreed. Everything in the motor rides on roller bearings or a film of oil, thus no contact anywhere except the rings and piston skirt to the cylinder walls.

Load the rings hard against the cylinder by accelerating, decelerate to suck out the debris. Stay out of the high rpm range for a while until the teeth are knocked off the crosshatch, remember that the skirt of the piston is polishing the cylinder too.

RTFM:

Read The F$#%*@ Manual :lol:

The manufacturer knows whats best for their engines. After all, they DID make them :banghead::)

This^^^^^^